    longer uncut version in existence.

    Thanks
    steve

    The Bradleys, Sep 19, 2003

  2. The Bradleys

    Jim Hollis Guest

    For reasons only known to MGM management, they managed to botch this DVD
    edition and only used the 162 minute version. Other roadshow releases have
    gotten similar treatment with missing overtures, exit music, incorrect
    colors on titles, etc.

    Jim Hollis, Sep 20, 2003

  3. The Bradleys

    JimReid56 Guest

    >For reasons only known to MGM management, they managed to botch this DVD
    >edition and only used the 162 minute version. Other roadshow releases have
    >gotten similar treatment with missing overtures, exit music, incorrect
    >colors on titles, etc.
    >"The Bradleys" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a DVD of the 193 minuted cut of The Alamo? The only ones I can
    >> find are the 162 minute versions and was wondering if they even have a
    >> longer uncut version in existence.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> steve

    I had heard that the only existing print, the one used for the laserdisc, was
    destroyed by the company that was supposed to preserve it. I guess they could
    always use the laserdisc transfer, if it still exists.

    JimReid56, Sep 20, 2003
  4. The Bradleys

    jayembee Guest

    "The Bradleys" <> wrote:

    > Is there a DVD of the 193 minuted cut of The Alamo? The
    > only ones I can find are the 162 minute versions and was
    > wondering if they even have a longer uncut version in
    > existence.

    Yes and no.

    There is no Region 1 (or 2 or 4) DVD release of the 192m
    cut. There *is*, however, a Taiwanese R0 DVD release of
    it (I have a copy). As with many such Taiwanese releases,
    there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether this
    is a legit release or a bootleg (Taiwanese copyright laws
    seem to blur the line between the two).

    At any rate, the quality isn't especially good -- it looks
    like they might've simply capped it from the MGM/UA laserdisc
    of the longer cut. But it does exist.

    It's unlikely that a high-quality official release will
    ever happen, though. The source used for the laserdisc
    transfer was supposedly destroyed (*not* deliberately) after
    that transfer was done. So unless some film archaeologist
    manages to unearth a decent print, interpos, interneg, or
    some such...

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 20, 2003
  5. The Bradleys

    Guest

    On 20 Sep 2003 06:09:36 -0700, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >"The Bradleys" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a DVD of the 193 minuted cut of The Alamo? The
    >> only ones I can find are the 162 minute versions and was
    >> wondering if they even have a longer uncut version in
    >> existence.

    >Yes and no.
    >
    >There is no Region 1 (or 2 or 4) DVD release of the 192m
    >cut. There *is*, however, a Taiwanese R0 DVD release of
    >it (I have a copy). As with many such Taiwanese releases,
    >there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether this
    >is a legit release or a bootleg (Taiwanese copyright laws
    >seem to blur the line between the two).
    >
    >At any rate, the quality isn't especially good -- it looks
    >like they might've simply capped it from the MGM/UA laserdisc
    >of the longer cut. But it does exist.
    >
    >It's unlikely that a high-quality official release will
    >ever happen, though. The source used for the laserdisc
    >transfer was supposedly destroyed (*not* deliberately) after
    >that transfer was done. So unless some film archaeologist
    >manages to unearth a decent print, interpos, interneg, or
    >some such...
    >
    >-- jayembee

    Is it better than the LD ???

    , Sep 21, 2003
  6. The Bradleys

    jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > (jayembee) wrote:
    >
    >>There is no Region 1 (or 2 or 4) DVD release of the 192m
    >>cut. There *is*, however, a Taiwanese R0 DVD release of
    >>it (I have a copy). As with many such Taiwanese releases,
    >>there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether this
    >>is a legit release or a bootleg (Taiwanese copyright laws
    >>seem to blur the line between the two).
    >>
    >>At any rate, the quality isn't especially good -- it looks
    >>like they might've simply capped it from the MGM/UA laserdisc
    >>of the longer cut. But it does exist.

    >Is it better than the LD ???

    No, it isn't better than the LD.

    -- jayembee