The A70 and recycled telephoto lenses...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nick Hopton, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    The review of the A70 at dcresource says:

    'The PowerShot A70 is somewhat unique in that it supports add-on lenses.
    First you need to buy the conversion lens adapter (LA-DC52C) though.
    Once you've done that, you can use wide-angle, telephoto, and closeup
    lenses with your A70'.

    This question will expose my ignorance, but can I take it that if I buy
    a LA-DC52C it will allow me to use any telephoto lens on my A70, rather
    than one made specially for the A70?

    I ask because over the years people have chucked old SLRs with telephoto
    lenses my way and I wonder if it might be possible to recycle the lens
    from one of these?

    Regards,
    Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    Caversham, Reading, England

    Nick Hopton, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Nick Hopton

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Nick Hopton) wrote in

    > This question will expose my ignorance, but can I take it that if I
    > buy a LA-DC52C it will allow me to use any telephoto lens on my
    > A70, rather than one made specially for the A70?

    It means you'll be able to use accessory lenses made specifically for
    the A60/70

    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/accessory.html

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Nick Hopton

    Mark B. Guest

    "Nick Hopton" <> wrote in message
    > The review of the A70 at dcresource says:
    >
    > 'The PowerShot A70 is somewhat unique in that it supports add-on lenses.
    > First you need to buy the conversion lens adapter (LA-DC52C) though.
    > Once you've done that, you can use wide-angle, telephoto, and closeup
    > lenses with your A70'.
    >
    > This question will expose my ignorance, but can I take it that if I buy
    > a LA-DC52C it will allow me to use any telephoto lens on my A70, rather
    > than one made specially for the A70?
    >
    > I ask because over the years people have chucked old SLRs with telephoto
    > lenses my way and I wonder if it might be possible to recycle the lens
    > from one of these?

    No, there's really no way to adapt an SLR lens to a point 'n shoot. You're
    limited to screw-on type wide-angle, telephotos, & close-up lenses designed
    specifically for point 'n shoots.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 3, 2003
  4. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message <>, Mark B.
    <> wrote.

    [...]
    >No, there's really no way to adapt an SLR lens to a point 'n shoot. You're
    >limited to screw-on type wide-angle, telephotos, & close-up lenses designed
    >specifically for point 'n shoots.

    [...]

    Thanks for the help on this one, folks, I'll give the idea a miss and
    save my pennies for a dedicated A70 telephoto lens. Ah, but by the time
    I can afford the lens the A70 will probably be history <g>.

    Regards,
    Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    Caversham, Reading, England

    Nick Hopton, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Nick Hopton

    Val Sharp Guest

    Nick Hopton, on 02/09/03 18:08, wrote:

    > This question will expose my ignorance, but can I take it that if I buy
    > a LA-DC52C it will allow me to use any telephoto lens on my A70, rather
    > than one made specially for the A70?

    In fact, neither is quite true ...

    - you can't replace the lens, so you can only add lenses which convert
    an existing one, and

    - there are many conversion lenses out there that will probably work
    to a greater or lesser extent with your camera, not just the ones made
    specifically for the A70.

    I have an A40, and I've put a little information about lenses for it
    on my site at
    <http://www.valsphotography.co.uk/information/Lenses_Filters.html#Lenses>

    I have a Tokina 2.0x Video Tele Converter which I picked up cheaply
    (c. 10 UKP) on eBay, and the main problem is a bit of chromatic
    aberration, but that can be fixed to some extent in post-processing.

    See example:

    - without tele lens <http://www.pbase.com/image/18807480>

    - with tele lens <http://www.pbase.com/image/18807482>

    - with and edited <http://www.pbase.com/image/18807481>

    But I have to admit that I hardly ever use it ... the hassles in the
    field of getting it out and screwing it on, and it really needs the
    tripod too ... so for me it probably wouldn't have been worth spending
    lots for the Canon lens.

    BTW, I'd avoid any of the longer style of tele conversion lens,
    because the ones I've heard of being tried with the A40 seem to give
    unacceptable vignetting. See Steve's experiments at
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/1280lens.html>

    --
    Regards,
    Val Sharp - Edinburgh

    Val Sharp, Sep 7, 2003
  6. Nick Hopton

    Zol. Guest

    "Val Sharp" <> wrote in message

    > But I have to admit that I hardly ever use it ... the hassles in the
    > field of getting it out and screwing it on, and it really needs the
    > tripod too ... so for me it probably wouldn't have been worth spending
    > lots for the Canon lens.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Val Sharp - Edinburgh
    > Photo Galleries ... <www.pbase.com/valsharp>
    > A40 Information ... <www.valsphotography.co.uk/information>

    *Snipped a bit*

    I find it surprising that you say you need a tripod for your tele-converter
    lens, for me I find holding(supporting) the lens with left hand whilst using
    the camera with the right is usually pretty good (that`s with the Canon 2.4x
    converter which is quite heavy)

    Also worth noting - with the A70(& A40) the adapter allows quick release of
    the attached lens & adapter tube which helps if you want to do a combination
    of wide & zoomed shots - much easier than screwing and unscrewing the lens
    everytime you want to change

    btw, as far as I can tell the Canon tele-converter lens is fully coated and
    doesn`t suffer from the chromatic aberrations (purple fringing) to the same
    degree as 3rd party lenses (having tried a few)

    Thanks for your website - I had bookmarked it but like all
    fovourites/bookmarks you tend to only visit a few regularly and some not
    often enough - regards ... Zol.

    p.s. I found out how to find the 35mm equivalent focal lengths on a lot of
    digital p+s cameras you just take the focal length and multiply it by 7 for
    instance 5.4mm on the A70 @ wide equates to roughly 37.8mm on 35mm & 16.2mm
    on the A70 @ zoom equates to 113.4mm on 35mm so by using my 2.4x converter I
    should be getting 272.16mm equivallent aprox if I`m right? sounds a bit off
    to me though - maybe this is just for rough calculations - I`ll have to
    re-check (Z)

    ---

    Zol., Sep 7, 2003
  7. Nick Hopton

    Val Sharp Guest

    Zol., on 07/09/03 13:35, wrote:

    > I find it surprising that you say you need a tripod for your tele-converter
    > lens, for me I find holding(supporting) the lens with left hand whilst using
    > the camera with the right is usually pretty good (that`s with the Canon 2.4x
    > converter which is quite heavy)

    It's not for supporting the lens, but for getting really sharp photos,
    because the tele lens magnifies the slightest movement ... Unsharp
    Mask can cover a small multitude of sins, but there's no substitute
    for a really sharp original.

    > Also worth noting - with the A70(& A40) the adapter allows quick release of
    > the attached lens & adapter tube which helps if you want to do a combination
    > of wide & zoomed shots - much easier than screwing and unscrewing the lens
    > everytime you want to change

    Sounds fine in theory, but it never quite works out like that for me
    in practice :-\ I've scared myself a few times by removing the lens
    adapter and bashing the A40 lens, because the camera is switched on
    and the lens is still extended.

    Or else I'll need the adapter for using the lens hood, or perhaps the
    polariser, etc.

    > btw, as far as I can tell the Canon tele-converter lens is fully coated and
    > doesn`t suffer from the chromatic aberrations (purple fringing) to the same
    > degree as 3rd party lenses (having tried a few)

    Well, I should jolly well hope so! :)

    > Thanks for your website - I had bookmarked it but like all
    > fovourites/bookmarks you tend to only visit a few regularly and some not
    > often enough

    I have to admit it could do with a bit of maintenance :-[

    > p.s. I found out how to find the 35mm equivalent focal lengths on a lot of
    > digital p+s cameras you just take the focal length and multiply it by 7 for
    > instance 5.4mm on the A70 @ wide equates to roughly 37.8mm on 35mm & 16.2mm
    > on the A70 @ zoom equates to 113.4mm on 35mm so by using my 2.4x converter I
    > should be getting 272.16mm equivallent aprox if I`m right? sounds a bit off
    > to me though - maybe this is just for rough calculations - I`ll have to
    > re-check (Z)

    In the spec for the A40, it says that a focal length of 5.4 is
    equivalent to 35mm, and 16.2 equivalent to 105mm. That gives a
    multiplier of about 6.48

    For my Oly2100, a focal length of 7 is equivalent to 38mm, which gives
    a multiplier of around 5.43

    There's a list of Circles of Confusion for a large number of digital
    cameras at <http://dfleming.ameranet.com/digital_coc.html>. Given the
    CofC for any camera, one can deduce its multiplier[1], so one can get
    an idea from this table of how they vary.

    [1] CoC = (CoC for 35mm format) / (Digital camera lens focal length
    multiplier)

    --
    Best regards,
    Val