The 75mb challenge

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kelpie, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    Ok here is the deal.

    I have a Pentium 100 with 16 megs of RAM and a 10mbit network card. I
    want to put it to good use as a sort of Internet Terminal from which
    "people" can go on the internet via the connection on my main machine (A
    Win 2k machine).

    The big stumbling block is that this machine only has an ancient 75mbyte
    hard drive.

    My requirements are pretty basic. I need this machine to run any
    operating system along with a browser with reasonable capabilities (say
    a Netscape 3.0 or better equivalent), maybe some POP mail functionality.
    Since this is hobby any software involved (which I dont already have)
    should be free.

    The operating system I run need not be entirely situated on the pentium
    100, if I can get some thin client action going on then all the much better.

    My initial thought was to install Windows 95 but the drive is too small,
    Im not really keen on Windows 3.11 (if I could even find it). I am
    interested in a cut down Linux/OS2 or 95/98 in some sort of thin client
    form.

    Please people, lend me your experience.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Kelpie

    T.N.O. Guest

    Kelpie wrote:
    > Please people, lend me your experience.

    If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003

  3. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Kelpie wrote:
    >
    >> Please people, lend me your experience.

    > If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    > from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    Thanks

    I was checking out Arachna earlier and it looks like it has potential.

    I do have a copy of Windows 3.1 lurking around somwhere on about 20
    floppies, Im just wondering how well it would handle the networking side
    of things.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Kelpie

    pete Guest

    "Kelpie" <dontbother@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    > > Kelpie wrote:
    > >
    > >> Please people, lend me your experience.

    > > If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    > > from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    > Thanks
    >
    > I was checking out Arachna earlier and it looks like it has potential.
    >
    > I do have a copy of Windows 3.1 lurking around somwhere on about 20
    > floppies, Im just wondering how well it would handle the networking side
    > of things.
    >
    > --
    > Kelpie

    You'd be better off with Win3.11 (Windows for Workgroups)which was
    better at networking.
    Start with Dos6.22 (3 diskettes) and put win311 on top - 8 diskettes
    (but I don't think I ever installed all 8 of them) about. Less than 20 meg
    Would be pretty snappy on a P100 with about 16 meg ram.

    pete, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    > If you contact me via e-mail, I have a functioning 4.3GB drive I can
    > sell you - A new drive is the only way you will get a modern OS running
    > on that system.

    Thanks but this is one of those $0 projects. Its more about seeing if I
    can get any sort of internet browsing capabilies on these limited
    resources rather than doing it the easy way. :)

    What Im really hoping for is some way I can use the limited space to
    create a network connection to a virtual drive on my main machine and
    run the OS and everything off that.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Kelpie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Kelpie wrote:
    > Ok here is the deal.
    >
    > I have a Pentium 100 with 16 megs of RAM and a 10mbit network card. I
    > want to put it to good use as a sort of Internet Terminal from which
    > "people" can go on the internet via the connection on my main machine
    > (A Win 2k machine).
    >
    > The big stumbling block is that this machine only has an ancient
    > 75mbyte hard drive.
    >
    > My requirements are pretty basic. I need this machine to run any
    > operating system along with a browser with reasonable capabilities
    > (say
    > a Netscape 3.0 or better equivalent), maybe some POP mail
    > functionality. Since this is hobby any software involved (which I
    > dont already have) should be free.
    >
    > The operating system I run need not be entirely situated on the
    > pentium 100, if I can get some thin client action going on then all
    > the much better.
    >
    > My initial thought was to install Windows 95 but the drive is too
    > small, Im not really keen on Windows 3.11 (if I could even find
    > it). I am interested in a cut down Linux/OS2 or 95/98 in some sort
    > of thin client form.
    >
    > Please people, lend me your experience.

    Can't help you with the OS/software problem but I've got a few old drives
    here, ranging from 170MB to about 500MB (Off-hand, I haven't looked closely
    at them for ages). If you want one post back here with a valid email addy
    and I'll test 'em for you and send you one free if you can use it. They've
    been sitting in a drawer and I've been wondering what to do with them.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 27, 2003
  7. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    > You'd be better off with Win3.11 (Windows for Workgroups)which was
    > better at networking.
    > Start with Dos6.22 (3 diskettes) and put win311 on top - 8 diskettes
    > (but I don't think I ever installed all 8 of them) about. Less than 20 meg
    > Would be pretty snappy on a P100 with about 16 meg ram.

    Win 3.11 is definely an option, its a matter of finding it. I might
    pull out those old install disks and see if they are 3.1 or 3.11, Im
    pretty sure they are 3.1 but its worth a look.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Kelpie

    T.N.O. Guest

    Kelpie wrote:
    > I was checking out Arachna earlier and it looks like it has potential.

    I used to use Arachna on Win95... it is quite good, and seems to make
    pages look rather pretty... must make web log monkeys look twice.

    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  9. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    > Can't help you with the OS/software problem but I've got a few old drives
    > here, ranging from 170MB to about 500MB (Off-hand, I haven't looked closely
    > at them for ages). If you want one post back here with a valid email addy
    > and I'll test 'em for you and send you one free if you can use it. They've
    > been sitting in a drawer and I've been wondering what to do with them.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Thanks, Im always keen for extra drives to play around with. I like to
    assemble basic machines for families that cant afford them so thats
    where they would probably end up (once I accumulate enough bits).

    My address is kelpie(at)ihug(dot)co(dot)nz if you want to get in touch
    with me. I live in Hamilton so if the drives would incur any courier
    fees its or anything like that its probably not worth it but otherwise
    all good.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Dec 27, 2003
  10. Kelpie

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:23:20 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    > from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    I'm curious - is that a graphical browser?

    Lennier

    Lennier, Dec 27, 2003
  11. Kelpie

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:23:20 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > Kelpie wrote:
    >> Please people, lend me your experience.

    > If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    > from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    In this situation, I do not think arachna is the solution, I once had it
    working on a 32mb ram machine (pentium 133) but There was barely enough
    memory to run it, and when i loaded the ppp dialer it ran out of memory and
    would not work at all.

    -[Myth]-, Dec 27, 2003
  12. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    > I used to use Arachna on Win95... it is quite good, and seems to make
    > pages look rather pretty... must make web log monkeys look twice.

    Would it have support for the network card as its network connection
    rather than a modem? I was looking at the requirements and it doesnt
    specifically mention network cards.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Dec 27, 2003
  13. Kelpie

    gromit Guest

    Kelpie wrote:

    > Ok here is the deal.
    >
    > I have a Pentium 100 with 16 megs of RAM and a 10mbit network card. I
    > want to put it to good use as a sort of Internet Terminal from which
    > "people" can go on the internet via the connection on my main machine (A
    > Win 2k machine).
    >
    > The big stumbling block is that this machine only has an ancient 75mbyte
    > hard drive.
    >
    > My requirements are pretty basic. I need this machine to run any
    > operating system along with a browser with reasonable capabilities (say
    > a Netscape 3.0 or better equivalent), maybe some POP mail functionality.
    > Since this is hobby any software involved (which I dont already have)
    > should be free.
    >
    > The operating system I run need not be entirely situated on the pentium
    > 100, if I can get some thin client action going on then all the much
    > better.
    >
    > My initial thought was to install Windows 95 but the drive is too small,
    > Im not really keen on Windows 3.11 (if I could even find it). I am
    > interested in a cut down Linux/OS2 or 95/98 in some sort of thin client
    > form.
    >
    > Please people, lend me your experience.
    >
    > --
    > Kelpie

    Might be worth giving Win95A a try for the OS. Install is about 42 MB
    compared to about 80 MB for Win95B.

    Cheers

    gromit

    gromit, Dec 27, 2003
  14. In article <bsjikq$kkh$>, dontbother@127.0.0.1 wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >interested in a cut down Linux/OS2 or 95/98 in some sort of thin client
    >form.

    *SNIP*

    Your real issue is that X (the Unix windowing engine you need for all
    the main GUI browsers) will chew up your 75MB drive and spit out the
    spindle. You will really be pushing things to get a graphical system
    into 75MB, particularly once you take into account that you will need at
    least 16MB of swap (and should really have 32MB).

    If you contact me via e-mail, I have a functioning 4.3GB drive I can
    sell you - A new drive is the only way you will get a modern OS running
    on that system.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Kelpie

    pete Guest

    "gromit" <> wrote in message
    > Kelpie wrote:
    >
    > > Ok here is the deal.
    > >
    > > I have a Pentium 100 with 16 megs of RAM and a 10mbit network card. I
    > > want to put it to good use as a sort of Internet Terminal from which
    > > "people" can go on the internet via the connection on my main machine (A
    > > Win 2k machine).
    > >
    > > The big stumbling block is that this machine only has an ancient 75mbyte
    > > hard drive.
    > >
    > > My requirements are pretty basic. I need this machine to run any
    > > operating system along with a browser with reasonable capabilities (say
    > > a Netscape 3.0 or better equivalent), maybe some POP mail functionality.
    > > Since this is hobby any software involved (which I dont already have)
    > > should be free.
    > >
    > > The operating system I run need not be entirely situated on the pentium
    > > 100, if I can get some thin client action going on then all the much
    > > better.
    > >
    > > My initial thought was to install Windows 95 but the drive is too small,
    > > Im not really keen on Windows 3.11 (if I could even find it). I am
    > > interested in a cut down Linux/OS2 or 95/98 in some sort of thin client
    > > form.
    > >
    > > Please people, lend me your experience.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kelpie

    > Might be worth giving Win95A a try for the OS. Install is about 42 MB
    > compared to about 80 MB for Win95B.
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > gromit

    Mosaic (I understand it to be the mother of all browsers) version 2.1.1 is
    available
    here
    http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/mosaic-w/releaseinfo/download.html
    and its a nice compact 2 megs worth.
    There are also a lot of hints at the site about getting it working with
    Win3.11, etc
    Eudora Light for Windows Version 3.0.6 for e-mail
    ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/eudoralight/windows/ a 4.5 meg d/load

    pete, Dec 27, 2003
  16. Kelpie

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    >>If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    >>from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    > I'm curious - is that a graphical browser?

    yep. mouse and everything, renders fairly fast(only used on slow
    machines) but yeah, it's all good.

    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  17. Kelpie

    T.N.O. Guest

    Kelpie wrote:
    >> I used to use Arachna on Win95... it is quite good, and seems to make
    >> pages look rather pretty... must make web log monkeys look twice.

    > Would it have support for the network card as its network connection
    > rather than a modem? I was looking at the requirements and it doesnt
    > specifically mention network cards.

    I did play with it(getting it using a network) at one point, but it was
    fiddly to get going(it worked), and I cant remember... this was pre 98
    that I was using it... I just check it from time to time to see that it
    still exists.

    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  18. Kelpie

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:23:20 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    > from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    I've just googled for it - and yes it is a graphical browser.

    They've got an "alpha" version which runs on Linux also.

    Sounds like shareware tho' rather than OS software.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Dec 27, 2003
  19. Kelpie

    Stuart Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:23:20 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    > > If you get stuck, I have Win3.1 and you can use a browser called arachna
    > > from a czech site I think... it runs from dos.

    > I've just googled for it - and yes it is a graphical browser.
    >
    > They've got an "alpha" version which runs on Linux also.
    >
    > Sounds like shareware tho' rather than OS software.

    I think you're talking about Arachne, originally from
    http://browser.arachne.cz/

    This is no longer developed by the original author, but has been GPLed, and
    is maintained by hobbyists.

    You may find the GPL version at http://www.thechicagobear.com/Page1.html

    If you have problems, check in at the discussion board at
    www.cisnet.com/glennmcc/aqc/ - you'll find plenty of helpful people :)

    Stuart

    Stuart, Dec 27, 2003
  20. Hi there,

    Kelpie wrote:
    > Ok here is the deal.
    >
    > I have a Pentium 100 with 16 megs of RAM and a 10mbit network card. I
    > want to put it to good use as a sort of Internet Terminal from which
    > "people" can go on the internet via the connection on my main machine (A
    > Win 2k machine).
    >
    > The big stumbling block is that this machine only has an ancient 75mbyte
    > hard drive.
    >
    > My requirements are pretty basic. I need this machine to run any
    > operating system along with a browser with reasonable capabilities (say
    > a Netscape 3.0 or better equivalent), maybe some POP mail functionality.
    > Since this is hobby any software involved (which I dont already have)
    > should be free.
    >
    > The operating system I run need not be entirely situated on the pentium
    > 100, if I can get some thin client action going on then all the much
    > better.
    >
    > My initial thought was to install Windows 95 but the drive is too small,
    > Im not really keen on Windows 3.11 (if I could even find it). I am
    > interested in a cut down Linux/OS2 or 95/98 in some sort of thin client
    > form.

    16MB RAM rules out linux with x, so Win 3.x would be the only way you
    might do this. Even so it will be a very tight squeeze (think spandex!)
    to fit an OS and a browser on a disk that small. The browser and mailer
    will require disk space for cache, so if your OS leaves anything and the
    net software can squeeze you may find you will run short of memory cos
    there'll be no room left on the disk for a swap file! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 27, 2003