    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004

  2. "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    news:6oLad.24524$hj.18916@fed1read07...
    > Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
    > bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
    > from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
    > much...
    > I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
    > turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...

    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    Nice reds on the MG and yellows on the Stutz.

    Question: how does the "427" image _print_? In particular does the
    cyan/white/cyan area* look like that on a print or does it do a smooth
    transition? I've got some shots where the sky goes through strance colors on
    the screen like that, but print just fine. I'm wondering if it's a color
    space problem...

    *: On my screen the white highlight band across the top is flanked by cyan
    regions. Maybe my monitor's problematic...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Skip M

    Charlie Self Guest

    Skip M. posts:

    >I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
    >turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
    >

    >http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My%

    2020D%20images/Day%20at%20the%20Races

    A little less, but very little less. Nice shots. Much better than nice, but I
    don't like to gush.

    If I owned any of those cars, I'd want at least 10 minutes between me and
    anything else on the track!

    Where is this held, by the way?

    Charlie Self
    "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
    simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

    Charlie Self, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
    >> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
    >> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
    >> much...
    >> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot
    >> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
    >>

    > http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races
    >
    > Nice reds on the MG and yellows on the Stutz.
    >
    > Question: how does the "427" image _print_? In particular does the
    > cyan/white/cyan area* look like that on a print or does it do a smooth
    > transition? I've got some shots where the sky goes through strance colors
    > on
    > the screen like that, but print just fine. I'm wondering if it's a color
    > space problem...
    >
    > *: On my screen the white highlight band across the top is flanked by cyan
    > regions. Maybe my monitor's problematic...
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Haven't tried to print it yet, but it looks the same on my monitor as on
    yours.

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  5. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > Skip M. posts:
    >
    >>I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
    >>turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
    >>

    >>http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My%

    > 2020D%20images/Day%20at%20the%20Races
    >
    > A little less, but very little less. Nice shots. Much better than nice,
    > but I
    > don't like to gush.
    >
    > If I owned any of those cars, I'd want at least 10 minutes between me and
    > anything else on the track!
    >
    > Where is this held, by the way?
    >
    > Charlie Self
    > "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's
    > mind
    > simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

    It's held on North Island Naval Air Station, on Coronado Island, across the
    bay from San Diego. It's a lot of fun, seeing race cars that range from the
    '20s to the '70s, and there's nothing like the wail of the Ferraris at full
    chat, but the rumble of big block Chevys and Fords gets you right there,
    too.

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  6. "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
    > bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
    > from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
    > much...
    > I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot to
    > turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...

    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    > --
    > Skip Middleton
    > http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    A Challenger AND a Javelin. You're making me feel older than necessary.
    Nice shots, the one of the Stutz stands out for me - rich yellow color.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 12, 2004
  7. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
    >> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of images
    >> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
    >> much...
    >> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot
    >> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
    >>

    > http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races
    >>
    >> --
    >> Skip Middleton
    >> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    > A Challenger AND a Javelin. You're making me feel older than necessary.
    > Nice shots, the one of the Stutz stands out for me - rich yellow color.

    And that one was with the 18-55 "kit" lens, too. Overall, I'm very pleased
    with the color rendition of the 20D compared to the D30 that it replaces,
    especially the reds.
    Not many people know about the Mopar effort in TransAm in '70 (that's Sam
    Posey's car in the image) or that Roger Penske took the TA title with Mark
    Donahue in the Javelin in '70 or '71, don't remember which. Speaking of
    getting old...

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  8. Skip M

    Frank ess Guest

    Skip M wrote:
    > Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
    > bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of
    > images from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't
    > miss him
    > so much...
    > I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I
    > forgot to turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
    >
    > http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    Yes, nice images.

    I have some less-than less-than-perfect images, too:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/3404E14A19B54A0

    I don't have any IS any more, and what I ever had is rapidly
    deteriorating.

    --
    Frank ess
    Fabulous 50s non-Association

    Frank ess, Oct 12, 2004
  9. "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > >> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
    > >> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of

    images
    > >> from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss him so
    > >> much...
    > >> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I forgot
    > >> turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...

    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    > >> --
    > >> Skip Middleton
    > >> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    > > A Challenger AND a Javelin. You're making me feel older than necessary.
    > > Nice shots, the one of the Stutz stands out for me - rich yellow color.
    > >

    > And that one was with the 18-55 "kit" lens, too. Overall, I'm very

    pleased
    > with the color rendition of the 20D compared to the D30 that it replaces,
    > especially the reds.
    > Not many people know about the Mopar effort in TransAm in '70 (that's Sam
    > Posey's car in the image) or that Roger Penske took the TA title with Mark
    > Donahue in the Javelin in '70 or '71, don't remember which. Speaking of
    > getting old...

    My first car was a '68 Roadrunner. It was a real animal. Now I drive a
    2005 Chrysler 300C - a real civilized beast.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 12, 2004
  10. Skip M

    Alan Browne Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    > http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    I like some of the closeups, but the "action" shots look ... er, actionless.
    Need to pan or long shutter (which does not work well with a light BG as you
    have here). The venue is rather dull, so closer shots would be more effective.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 12, 2004
  11. Skip M

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    > images
    >> >>

    > http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    >> > A Challenger AND a Javelin. You're making me feel older than
    >> > necessary.
    >> > Nice shots, the one of the Stutz stands out for me - rich yellow color.
    >> >

    >> And that one was with the 18-55 "kit" lens, too. Overall, I'm very

    > pleased
    >> with the color rendition of the 20D compared to the D30 that it replaces,
    >> especially the reds.
    >> Not many people know about the Mopar effort in TransAm in '70 (that's Sam
    >> Posey's car in the image) or that Roger Penske took the TA title with
    >> Mark
    >> Donahue in the Javelin in '70 or '71, don't remember which. Speaking of
    >> getting old...

    > My first car was a '68 Roadrunner. It was a real animal. Now I drive a
    > 2005 Chrysler 300C - a real civilized beast.

    Heheh, my first car was a '69 Roadrunner convertible, I drive a Dodge
    Durango, now, with an eye on the Magnum.

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  12. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Skip M wrote:
    >> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss his
    >> bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery of
    >> images from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't miss
    >> him
    >> so much...
    >> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I
    >> forgot to turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
    >>
    >> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    > Yes, nice images.
    >
    > I have some less-than less-than-perfect images, too:
    > http://www.fototime.com/inv/3404E14A19B54A0
    >
    > I don't have any IS any more, and what I ever had is rapidly
    > deteriorating.
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess
    > Fabulous 50s non-Association
    > Non-member

    Dear god!!! I almost fell out of my chair, laughing! The second picture on
    your site of the AC Ace has two photographers in the foreground, the one
    with the reversed baseball cap is me! The other one is my friend, Glen
    Maxwell...I gotta send that one to him!
    Small, small world!

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  13. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > Skip M wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    > I like some of the closeups, but the "action" shots look ... er,
    > actionless. Need to pan or long shutter (which does not work well with a
    > light BG as you have here). The venue is rather dull, so closer shots
    > would be more effective.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan
    >

    > --
    > -- rec.photo.equipment.35mm user resource:
    > -- http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

    I know, I was fighting that all day. I tried some longer exposures, but
    tossed them. Actually, being farther from the action might have helped,
    more apparent movement, kind of like Frank has.

    Skip M, Oct 12, 2004
  14. Skip M

    Frank ess Guest

    Skip M wrote:
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >> Skip M wrote:
    >>> Since Annika's out traipsing around Maui, and I'm sure ya'll miss
    >>> his bombastic posts, I'll take this opportunity to put up a gallery
    >>> of
    >>> images from the recent Chrysler Speed Festival. Just so you won't
    >>> miss him
    >>> so much...
    >>> I'll admit a few of the images are a little less than perfect, I
    >>> forgot to turn off the IS on my 28-135 when panning...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Day at the Races

    >> Yes, nice images.
    >>
    >> I have some less-than less-than-perfect images, too:
    >> http://www.fototime.com/inv/3404E14A19B54A0
    >>
    >> I don't have any IS any more, and what I ever had is rapidly
    >> deteriorating.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank ess
    >> Fabulous 50s non-Association
    >> Non-member
    >>

    > Dear god!!! I almost fell out of my chair, laughing! The second
    > picture on your site of the AC Ace has two photographers in the
    > foreground, the
    > one with the reversed baseball cap is me! The other one is my friend,
    > Glen Maxwell...I gotta send that one to him!
    > Small, small world!

    I figured it had to be. I don't ordinarily display that kind of
    picture...

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 12, 2004
  15. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Skip M wrote:
    >> "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, nice images.
    >>>
    >>> I have some less-than less-than-perfect images, too:
    >>> http://www.fototime.com/inv/3404E14A19B54A0
    >>>
    >>> I don't have any IS any more, and what I ever had is rapidly
    >>> deteriorating.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Frank ess
    >>> Fabulous 50s non-Association
    >>> Non-member
    >>>

    >> Dear god!!! I almost fell out of my chair, laughing! The second
    >> picture on your site of the AC Ace has two photographers in the
    >> foreground, the
    >> one with the reversed baseball cap is me! The other one is my friend,
    >> Glen Maxwell...I gotta send that one to him!
    >> Small, small world!

    > I figured it had to be. I don't ordinarily display that kind of picture...
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    I didn't think it fit in with the rest of them, thanks for my shot at
    immortality! <G>

    Skip M, Oct 13, 2004
  16. Skip M

    Guest

    In message <_SYad.26133$hj.21181@fed1read07>,
    "Skip M" <> wrote:

    >Dear god!!! I almost fell out of my chair, laughing! The second picture on
    >your site of the AC Ace has two photographers in the foreground, the one
    >with the reversed baseball cap is me!

    Are you out of focus in real life?
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Oct 13, 2004
  17. In article <_SYad.26133$hj.21181@fed1read07>, Skip M
    <> wrote:

    > Dear god!!! I almost fell out of my chair, laughing! The second picture on
    > your site of the AC Ace has two photographers in the foreground, the one
    > with the reversed baseball cap is me! The other one is my friend, Glen
    > Maxwell...I gotta send that one to him!
    > Small, small world!

    Get a haircut, you old hippy. :)

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 13, 2004
  18. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In message <_SYad.26133$hj.21181@fed1read07>,
    > "Skip M" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Dear god!!! I almost fell out of my chair, laughing! The second picture
    >>on
    >>your site of the AC Ace has two photographers in the foreground, the one
    >>with the reversed baseball cap is me!

    > Are you out of focus in real life?

    > John P Sheehy <>
    > ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    I've been told that, more than once... <G>

    Skip M, Oct 13, 2004
  19. Skip M

    Skip M Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_SYad.26133$hj.21181@fed1read07>, Skip M
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dear god!!! I almost fell out of my chair, laughing! The second picture
    >> on
    >> your site of the AC Ace has two photographers in the foreground, the one
    >> with the reversed baseball cap is me! The other one is my friend, Glen
    >> Maxwell...I gotta send that one to him!
    >> Small, small world!

    > Get a haircut, you old hippy. :)

    Y'know, I've thought about that, like every time that pesky ponytail gets
    caught under a camera bag strap! <G>
    As it is, I had a whole 2 inches cut off just last month...

    Skip M, Oct 13, 2004
  20. Skip M

    Jer Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    >>My first car was a '68 Roadrunner. It was a real animal. Now I drive a
    >>2005 Chrysler 300C - a real civilized beast.
    >>

    > Heheh, my first car was a '69 Roadrunner convertible, I drive a Dodge
    > Durango, now, with an eye on the Magnum.

    '69 GTX here - 440 6-pack w/Hurst comp T - it tossed #2 and #4 through
    the block way beyond redline. Soon afterward, a 426 hemi assumed the
    position. It could pass anything except a gas station. You know I hate
    you guys for bringing this up. :)

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 14, 2004