    I know when the free certs are used in outlook they sign and encpypt the
    e-mail message body, what about the subject lines and any attachments?
    Anyone know? Thanks in advance
    Anonyma, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Anonyma wrote:

    > I know when the free certs are used in outlook

    Not Outlook, but E-Mail.

    > they sign and encpypt the e-mail message body, what about the subject
    > lines and any attachments?

    S/MIME wraps the entire message into one multipart/mime body, encrypts and
    signs it, and then sends it as a MIME attachment to a new message (which
    usually contains a non-MIME plaintext part telling about S/MIME).

    > Anyone know?

    Yes, the relevant RFCs do so. That's why your question is a dumb question.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Anonyma

    Vanguard Guest

    "Anonyma" <> wrote in message
    >I know when the free certs are used in outlook they sign and encpypt
    >the
    > e-mail message body, what about the subject lines and any attachments?
    > Anyone know? Thanks in advance

    If the headers were encrypted, how the hell would the mail servers know
    how to handle your mails, or you read them and use rules to organize
    them? Encryption is applied only to the body of the message as
    encryption uses MIME (i.e., there is a MIME part in the body of your
    mail). ALL e-mail gets sent as plain-text. Encoding is used to
    identify HTML, RTF, or other non-text formatting and encoding is used in
    MIME parts for binaries or encryption. The encryption occurs after you
    compose the mail and give it to your e-mail program which then encrypts
    the WHOLE body of the message, and that it includes attachments (which
    are just another MIME part within the body of your message); i.e., your
    message isn't encrypted until you SEND the mail, and attachments have
    already been included in the body of your message BEFORE it gets sent.
    Vanguard, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Anonyma

    traveler 66 Guest

    "Sebastian Gottschalk" <> wrote in message
    > Anonyma wrote:
    >
    >> I know when the free certs are used in outlook

    > Not Outlook, but E-Mail.
    >
    >> they sign and encpypt the e-mail message body, what about the subject
    >> lines and any attachments?

    > S/MIME wraps the entire message into one multipart/mime body, encrypts and
    > signs it, and then sends it as a MIME attachment to a new message (which
    > usually contains a non-MIME plaintext part telling about S/MIME).

    You don't know what you're talking about.

    >> Anyone know?

    > Yes, the relevant RFCs do so. That's why your question is a dumb question.

    Read his question,

    Flush
    traveler 66, Feb 1, 2007