    How could I get this effect in my pics ?
    Any speculation ?

    <rj>
    Guest, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Guest

    Mike Russell Guest

    "<RJ>" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
    > and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.
    >
    > Is this done 'with filters",
    > or "with computer program" ?
    >
    > How could I get this effect in my pics ?
    > Any speculation ?

    Bump the saturation using the hue sat adjustment of your favorite editor.
    Be sure to mask out certain colors, such as skin tones, to keep them from
    going radioactive.
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Guest

    dj_nme Guest

    Mike Russell wrote:

    > "<RJ>" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
    >>and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.
    >>
    >>Is this done 'with filters",
    >>or "with computer program" ?
    >>
    >>How could I get this effect in my pics ?
    >>Any speculation ?

    > Bump the saturation using the hue sat adjustment of your favorite editor.
    > Be sure to mask out certain colors, such as skin tones, to keep them from
    > going radioactive.

    I always thought it looked like either an amber (or orange) grad filter
    or straight amber (or orange) filter, depending on the scene.
    It isn't very subtle when there is an obvious transition halfway up the
    image from normal to very amber (or orange) looking.
    I would also guess that if a amber (or orange) filter was placed on the
    video camera lens and then a WB taken, it would make all the blues look
    darker and everything with yellow, red or orange appear much brighter.
    My guess may be wrong and it all might be done in post-processing.
    dj_nme, Jun 17, 2007
  4. Guest

    dicko Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:54:04 -0700, "<RJ>" <>
    wrote:

    >I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
    >and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.
    >
    >Is this done 'with filters",
    >or "with computer program" ?
    >
    >How could I get this effect in my pics ?
    >Any speculation ?
    >
    ><rj>

    I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
    to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.

    dickm
    dicko, Jun 17, 2007
  5. "dicko" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:54:04 -0700, "<RJ>" <>
    > wrote:

    >>I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
    >>and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.
    >>
    >>Is this done 'with filters",
    >>or "with computer program" ?
    >>
    >>How could I get this effect in my pics ?
    >>Any speculation ?
    >>
    >><rj>

    > I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
    > to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.
    >
    > dickm

    Ah, but oh so "purdy" on my TV! (A really sharp 42" LCD with
    excellent color, viewed close.) Beautiful visual technique, I think,
    and things like "tobacco" filters and boosted saturations that I
    usually dislike are used to good effect. No, it's not "realistic"
    (no representation really is, so you may as well have fun with
    it...;-), but it is very involving visually. My only peeve with the
    CSI Miami visuals (BTW, the sound is also excellent) is that
    air views of the city are almost always slightly tilted clockwise.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.donferrario.com/ruether
    David Ruether, Jun 17, 2007
  6. Guest

    George Kerby Guest

    On 6/17/07 8:55 AM, in article ,
    "dicko" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:54:04 -0700, "<RJ>" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I was watching a re-run of CSI Miami,
    >> and I marvelled at the intense, saturated colors.
    >>
    >> Is this done 'with filters",
    >> or "with computer program" ?
    >>
    >> How could I get this effect in my pics ?
    >> Any speculation ?
    >>
    >> <rj>

    > I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
    > to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.
    >
    > dickm

    I stopped watching NYPD Blue because of the "drunken-stumbling" camera
    movements. Someone should have found those guys a SteadyCam.
    George Kerby, Jun 17, 2007
  7. Guest

    babaloo Guest

    There may be some filtration on camera.
    However whether the dramatic scenes are initially captured on film or hi def
    tape they are subsequently processed and edited as digital video and the
    final product is not film but a video recording.
    If commercial movies go entirely hi def for production, as is likely the
    case, apart from getting out of your house, there will be no technical
    advantage to seeing a movie in a theater as opposed to your own hi
    def/surround sound set up.
    babaloo, Jun 17, 2007
  8. Guest

    Savageduck Guest

    dicko wrote:

    > I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
    > to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.
    >
    > dickm

    I couldn't agree more regarding that "Miami" pseudo-color. A Sunset or a
    dawn is one thing, but when all scenes are given the treatment it is
    unwatchable.
    The other factor making CSI Miami unwatchable is the Caruso presence.
    What drama school teaches THAT method?

    'duck
    Savageduck, Jun 17, 2007
  9. babaloo wrote:
    > There may be some filtration on camera.
    > However whether the dramatic scenes are initially captured on film or hi def
    > tape they are subsequently processed and edited as digital video and the
    > final product is not film but a video recording.
    > If commercial movies go entirely hi def for production, as is likely the
    > case, apart from getting out of your house, there will be no technical
    > advantage to seeing a movie in a theater as opposed to your own hi
    > def/surround sound set up.

    Except it's hard to make that "butter flavor" crap they put on popcorn
    or hand over ten bucks to a gum chewing teenager.

    --

    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 17, 2007
  10. Guest

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, babaloo <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > There may be some filtration on camera.
    > However whether the dramatic scenes are initially captured on film or hi def
    > tape they are subsequently processed and edited as digital video and the
    > final product is not film but a video recording.
    > If commercial movies go entirely hi def for production, as is likely the
    > case, apart from getting out of your house, there will be no technical
    > advantage to seeing a movie in a theater as opposed to your own hi
    > def/surround sound set up.

    My friend has an NEC 50" plasma, probably one of the best plasmas on
    the market right now and a DTS-capable sound system. Owing in part to
    the theaters in our area being pretty terrible, he really DOES prefer
    to watch movies on his own setup.

    At least when you watch it on your own hi-def setup, you don't have to
    worry about sticky floors, crying children, smelly people, and the
    high price of admission.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com
    Aaron, Jun 18, 2007
  11. "Savageduck" <> wrote in message news:...
    > dicko wrote:

    >> I stopped watching the show because of those colors. I kept wanting
    >> to gouge my eyes out. It is so totally unnatural.
    >>
    >> dickm

    > I couldn't agree more regarding that "Miami" pseudo-color. A Sunset or a dawn is one thing, but when all scenes are given the
    > treatment it is unwatchable.
    > The other factor making CSI Miami unwatchable is the Caruso presence. What drama school teaches THAT method?
    >
    > 'duck

    Methinks you have missed the point of CSI Miami's characteristics.
    It is a *stylistic* (not realistic) exercise! The acting, characters,
    lighting, effects, camera angles, music, sound, and (preposterous)
    technological marvels displayed in this show all clearly point to this.
    Enjoy it all as parts of very pretty fairy tales (though the stories are
    also good...;-). It is soap opera at its VERY best, on all levels! ;-)
    If you want "realistic" (not really possible for any show - all
    representations of reality must be incomplete/faulty...), try Law
    and Order - but I will continue to enjoy the additional entertainment
    content offered by CSI Miami...

    David Ruether, Jun 19, 2007