Thanksgiving Movies

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Fred Goodwin, CMA, Nov 10, 2006.

  1. Thanksgiving Movies

    Mrs. Wiggs Of The Cabbage Patch, 1934
    Convicted Woman, 1940
    Plymouth Adventure, 1949
    A Day of Thanksgiving, 1951
    The Thanksgiving Visitor, 1967 (TV)
    Mouse On the Mayflower, 1968 (TV)
    Alice's Restaurant, 1969
    A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, 1973
    A Day for Thanks on Walton's Mountain, 1982 (TV)
    A Thanksgiving Tale, 1983 (TV)
    Broadway Danny Rose, 1984
    The Hoboken Chicken Emergency, 1984 (TV)
    Molly's Pilgrim, 1985
    Hannah and Her Sisters, 1986
    The Thanksgiving Promise, 1986 (TV)
    Planes, Trains & Automobiles (R), 1987
    Avalon, 1990
    Thanksgiving Day, 1990 (TV)
    Dutch (PG13), 1991
    Scent of a Woman (R), 1992
    Son in Law, 1993
    A Walton Thanksgiving Reunion, 1993 (TV)
    Nobody's Fool (R), 1994
    Squanto: A Warrior's Tale, 1994
    Home for the Holidays (PG13), 1995
    Playing the Part, 1995
    Breathing Room, 1996
    The Daytrippers (R), 1996
    The War at Home (R), 1996
    The House of Yes (R), 1997
    The Ice Storm (R), 1997
    The Myth of Fingerprints (R), 1997
    A Rugrats Thanksgiving, 1997
    One Special Night, 1999 (TV)
    Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving, 1999 (V)
    What's Cooking? 2000
    Fourteen, 2002
    Tadpole, 2002
    Family Tree, 2003
    National Lampoon's Thanksgiving Family Reunion, 2003 (TV)
    Pieces of April, 2003
    The Kids' Table, 2004
    A Taste of Us, 2004
    Turkey Day, 2004

    http://denverpost.com/movies/ci_3225170
    http://www.andrewnixon.com/movies/tday.htm
    http://www.infoplease.com/spot/tgmovies1.html
    http://movies.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/thanksgiv111204.htm
    http://worldfilm.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/thanksgiving.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/thanksgiving-movies/lm/3PBHWRLYFTCGM
    http://www.amazon.com/Thanksgiving-movies/lm/15CZEXHX72DIF
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=264914
    http://www.seacoastonline.com/2003news/11272003/it/62838.htm
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=thanksgiving.htm
    http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/movies/video/nov02/99209.asp
    http://www.springfieldlibrary.org/reading/thanksgivingmovies.html
    http://kidstvmovies.about.com/od/thanksgiving/tp/thanksgivingpik.htm
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?date=1132759527&nav=prev
    http://www.entertainyourbrain.com/top5thanksgivingmoviesofalltime.htm
    http://travelwithkids.about.com/od/thanksgiving/tp/thanksgivflicks.htm
    http://thanksgiving4all.blogspot.com/2006/10/top-thanksgiving-movies.html
    http://shortypjs.blogspot.com/2005/11/thanksgiving-movies-is-there-reason.html
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/11816/thanksgiving_movies_there_are_more.html

    http://www.this-is-great.com/vhs/thanksgiving
    http://www.this-is-great.com/info/jafsniejlb
    http://www.this-is-great.com/top/enxcxzxe-xh-rsxdxixf

    Fred Goodwin, CMA, Nov 10, 2006

  2. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Greg Bryant Guest

    Ice Station Zebra
    Watership Down
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    Dances with Wolves
    The Professional (AKA Leon)
    Carrington
    The Last Waltz

    Mainly because I saw each of these movies for the first time on Thanksgiving
    Day.

    Greg Bryant, Nov 10, 2006

  3. "Greg Bryant" <> wrote in message
    > Ice Station Zebra
    > Watership Down
    > Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    > Dances with Wolves
    > The Professional (AKA Leon)
    > Carrington
    > The Last Waltz
    >
    > Mainly because I saw each of these movies for the first time on
    > Thanksgiving
    > Day.

    Actually, The Last Waltz is definitely a Thanksgiving movie. The concert was
    on Thanksgiving, and included dinner.

    Comedy Central used to do Mystery Science Theater 3000 marathons on
    Thanksgiving. It's celebrating turkeys.

    Lincoln

    Lincoln Spector, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <j265h.307$>,
    "Lincoln Spector" <> wrote:

    > "Greg Bryant" <> wrote in message
    > > Ice Station Zebra
    > > Watership Down
    > > Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    > > Dances with Wolves
    > > The Professional (AKA Leon)
    > > Carrington
    > > The Last Waltz
    > >
    > > Mainly because I saw each of these movies for the first time on
    > > Thanksgiving
    > > Day.

    > Actually, The Last Waltz is definitely a Thanksgiving movie. The concert was
    > on Thanksgiving, and included dinner.
    >
    > Comedy Central used to do Mystery Science Theater 3000 marathons on
    > Thanksgiving. It's celebrating turkeys.
    >
    > Lincoln

    mmmmmmmmmmmmm

    We ga-ther to-geth-er
    To watch
    Chee-zy mo-vies
    At Com-e-dy Cen-tral
    On Thanks-giving Day
    With Mys-ter-y Science
    GASP
    Thea-ter Three Thous-and
    It's thir-ty straight hours
    And it's called Turkey DaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAy.

    --
    Killfile Troy Heagy in all his many incarnations now:
    ,

    Anim8rFSK, Nov 10, 2006
  5. On 10 Nov 2006 11:21:27 -0800, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanksgiving Movies
    >
    >Mrs. Wiggs Of The Cabbage Patch, 1934
    >Convicted Woman, 1940
    >Plymouth Adventure, 1949
    >A Day of Thanksgiving, 1951
    >The Thanksgiving Visitor, 1967 (TV)
    >Mouse On the Mayflower, 1968 (TV)
    >Alice's Restaurant, 1969
    >A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, 1973
    >A Day for Thanks on Walton's Mountain, 1982 (TV)
    >A Thanksgiving Tale, 1983 (TV)
    >Broadway Danny Rose, 1984
    >The Hoboken Chicken Emergency, 1984 (TV)
    >Molly's Pilgrim, 1985
    >Hannah and Her Sisters, 1986
    >The Thanksgiving Promise, 1986 (TV)
    >Planes, Trains & Automobiles (R), 1987
    >Avalon, 1990
    >Thanksgiving Day, 1990 (TV)
    >Dutch (PG13), 1991
    >Scent of a Woman (R), 1992
    >Son in Law, 1993
    >A Walton Thanksgiving Reunion, 1993 (TV)
    >Nobody's Fool (R), 1994
    >Squanto: A Warrior's Tale, 1994
    >Home for the Holidays (PG13), 1995
    >Playing the Part, 1995
    >Breathing Room, 1996
    >The Daytrippers (R), 1996
    >The War at Home (R), 1996
    >The House of Yes (R), 1997
    >The Ice Storm (R), 1997
    >The Myth of Fingerprints (R), 1997
    >A Rugrats Thanksgiving, 1997
    >One Special Night, 1999 (TV)
    >Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving, 1999 (V)
    >What's Cooking? 2000
    >Fourteen, 2002
    >Tadpole, 2002
    >Family Tree, 2003
    >National Lampoon's Thanksgiving Family Reunion, 2003 (TV)
    >Pieces of April, 2003
    >The Kids' Table, 2004
    >A Taste of Us, 2004
    >Turkey Day, 2004

    Considering it starts with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, shouldn't
    Miracle be on there somewhere?

    --
    "Oh Buffy, you really do need to have
    every square inch of your ass kicked."

    William George Ferguson, Nov 13, 2006
  6. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    jab Guest

    Greg Bryant wrote:
    > Ice Station Zebra
    > Watership Down
    > Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    > Dances with Wolves
    > The Professional (AKA Leon)
    > Carrington
    > The Last Waltz
    >
    > Mainly because I saw each of these movies for the first time on Thanksgiving
    > Day.

    On that note, then you have to include 'Babes in Toyland' with Laurel
    and Hardy as it has been shown just about every Thanksgiving Day in the
    New York area for at least the past 50 years.
    JAB

    jab, Nov 13, 2006
  7. William George Ferguson wrote:

    > Considering it starts with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, shouldn't
    > Miracle be on there somewhere?

    I've always thought of "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas movie --
    but if you want to call it a Thanksgiving movie, feel free.

    Fred Goodwin, CMA, Nov 13, 2006
  8. "Fred Goodwin, CMA" () writes:
    > William George Ferguson wrote:
    >>
    >> Considering it starts with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, shouldn't
    >> Miracle be on there somewhere?

    > I've always thought of "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas movie --
    > but if you want to call it a Thanksgiving movie, feel free.

    But he has a point, the movie covers US Thanksgiving through Christmas.

    Since US Thanksgiving is such a key point in the start of the holiday
    season, it works as either. Because there will be Christmas specials
    starting on US Thanksgiving or shortly after. It hasn't happened in
    recent years, but there was a time when FOX would air that "traditional"
    Christmas classic, "Home Alone" on US Thanksgiving.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    El Lagarto Guest

    (Michael Black) wrote in

    > "Fred Goodwin, CMA" () writes:
    >> William George Ferguson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Considering it starts with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade,
    >>> shouldn't Miracle be on there somewhere?

    >> I've always thought of "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas movie
    >> -- but if you want to call it a Thanksgiving movie, feel free.
    >>

    > But he has a point, the movie covers US Thanksgiving through
    > Christmas.
    >
    > Since US Thanksgiving is such a key point in the start of the holiday
    > season, it works as either. Because there will be Christmas specials
    > starting on US Thanksgiving or shortly after. It hasn't happened in
    > recent years, but there was a time when FOX would air that
    > "traditional" Christmas classic, "Home Alone" on US Thanksgiving.
    >
    > Michael

    Has anyone mentioned Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter?

    El Lagarto, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Michael Black wrote:
    > "Fred Goodwin, CMA" () writes:
    > > William George Ferguson wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Considering it starts with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade,
    > >> shouldn't Miracle be on there somewhere?

    > > I've always thought of "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas
    > > movie -- but if you want to call it a Thanksgiving movie, feel
    > > free.
    > >

    > But he has a point, the movie covers US Thanksgiving through
    > Christmas.

    Indeed -- I wasn't arguing with him. Personally, I've always thought
    of "Miracle" as a Christmas movie, but there's no disputing it starts
    on Thanksgiving.

    Fred Goodwin, CMA, Nov 13, 2006
  11. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Greg Bryant Guest

    Home For the Holidays

    Greg Bryant, Nov 13, 2006
  12. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Greg Bryant Guest

    On 11/13/06 3:49 PM, "Michael Black" wrote:

    > "Fred Goodwin, CMA" () writes:
    >> William George Ferguson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Considering it starts with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, shouldn't
    >>> Miracle be on there somewhere?

    >> I've always thought of "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas movie --
    >> but if you want to call it a Thanksgiving movie, feel free.
    >>

    > But he has a point, the movie covers US Thanksgiving through Christmas.
    >
    > Since US Thanksgiving is such a key point in the start of the holiday
    > season, it works as either. Because there will be Christmas specials
    > starting on US Thanksgiving or shortly after. It hasn't happened in
    > recent years, but there was a time when FOX would air that "traditional"
    > Christmas classic, "Home Alone" on US Thanksgiving.
    >
    > Michael

    Much in the same way that ABC usually runs The Ten Commandments (not a movie
    about Easter) on or near Easter?

    Greg Bryant, Nov 13, 2006
  13. Greg Bryant <> wrote:

    >Much in the same way that ABC usually runs The Ten Commandments (not a movie
    >about Easter) on or near Easter?

    .. . . although some think the Last Supper was a protoseder.

    ____
    Psychiatrist: "Miss, I am not going to bandy words with you at this time of night."
    Susan: "There is a leopard on your roof & it's my leopard & to get it I have to sing."

    -- Bringing Up Baby

    David Oberman, Nov 13, 2006
  14. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Shevek Guest

    Greg Bryant escribió:

    > Much in the same way that ABC usually runs The Ten Commandments (not a movie
    > about Easter) on or near Easter?

    In Spain, besides the Quo Vadis, Ben-Hur and certain others, is
    traditional to run "Spartacus" near Easter. :)

    --
    Shevek

    Shevek, Nov 13, 2006
  15. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Greg Bryant Guest

    On 11/13/06 5:45 PM, "Shevek" wrote:

    > Greg Bryant escribió:
    >>
    >> Much in the same way that ABC usually runs The Ten Commandments (not a movie
    >> about Easter) on or near Easter?
    >>

    > In Spain, besides the Quo Vadis, Ben-Hur and certain others, is
    > traditional to run "Spartacus" near Easter. :)

    That reminds me, I remember seeing Ben-Hur often run around Christmas. I
    suppose that's an acceptable stretch since the movie does start with the
    birth of Christ.

    Greg Bryant, Nov 13, 2006
  16. El Lagarto wrote:
    > (Michael Black) wrote in

    >>> I've always thought of "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas movie
    >>> -- but if you want to call it a Thanksgiving movie, feel free.
    >>>

    >> But he has a point, the movie covers US Thanksgiving through
    >> Christmas.
    >>
    >> Since US Thanksgiving is such a key point in the start of the holiday
    >> season, it works as either. Because there will be Christmas specials
    >> starting on US Thanksgiving or shortly after. It hasn't happened in
    >> recent years, but there was a time when FOX would air that
    >> "traditional" Christmas classic, "Home Alone" on US Thanksgiving.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Has anyone mentioned Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter?

    Likewise, _Holiday Inn_ which has a Thanksgiving section.

    --
    Frank in Seattle
    ____

    Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney
    "Millennium hand and shrimp."

    Frank R.A.J. Maloney, Nov 14, 2006
  17. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Jamie Guest

    Greg Bryant wrote:
    > On 11/13/06 3:49 PM, "Michael Black" wrote:

    > >> I've always thought of "Miracle on 34th Street" as a Christmas movie --
    > >> but if you want to call it a Thanksgiving movie, feel free.
    > >>

    > > But he has a point, the movie covers US Thanksgiving through Christmas.
    > >
    > > Since US Thanksgiving is such a key point in the start of the holiday
    > > season, it works as either. Because there will be Christmas specials
    > > starting on US Thanksgiving or shortly after. It hasn't happened in
    > > recent years, but there was a time when FOX would air that "traditional"
    > > Christmas classic, "Home Alone" on US Thanksgiving.
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >

    > Much in the same way that ABC usually runs The Ten Commandments (not a movie
    > about Easter) on or near Easter?

    What about "The Sound of Music," which has nothing to do with either
    Easter or Christmas, but is always aired just before either of those
    holidays? I also seem to recall NBC airing it before Memorial Day one
    year in the 1980s. NBC no longer airs it, however.

    Jamie, Nov 14, 2006
  18. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    rebacay Guest

    "Greg Bryant" <> wrote in message

    > Much in the same way that ABC usually runs The Ten Commandments (not a
    > movie
    > about Easter) on or near Easter?

    But it IS a "Passover movie."
    rc

    rebacay, Nov 14, 2006
  19. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Greg Bryant Guest

    On 11/13/06 8:27 PM, "rebacay" wrote:

    > "Greg Bryant" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Much in the same way that ABC usually runs The Ten Commandments (not a
    >> movie
    >> about Easter) on or near Easter?
    >>

    > But it IS a "Passover movie."
    > rc