    the vista newsgroup and am amazed at all the negativity and trolling.

    Just wanted to say thanks for keeping it on focus.

    Sam
    Sam Crawford, Apr 24, 2007

  2. Glad to have you. I have the same impressions of the vista.general ng that
    you do. We have been luckier over here.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 24, 2007

  3. Sam Crawford

    XS11E Guest

    "Sam Crawford" <> wrote:

    > I sure appreciate this newsgroup.
    >
    > Most posts are civil and I see very little trolling. I just
    > jumped over to the vista newsgroup and am amazed at all the
    > negativity and trolling.

    The Vista newsgroup must be read with a newsreader that allows
    killfiling the trolls and scorefiling the unwanted threads and LIBERAL
    use of both!

    That shouldn't be necessary and I suppose eventually some kind of
    moderated group will be required. The "noise" seems to have reached
    the point if preventing any help to people who need it.

    Unfortunately, MSFT seems reluctant to moderate these groups but I
    believe it needs to be done.
    XS11E, Apr 24, 2007
  4. I agree but don't think it will happen. I was OK with the threads the
    trolls started because I could just ignore them. The problem now is that
    they are jumping into other people's threads and poisoning them before folks
    who want to answer questions legitimatelly even get a chance. There is so
    much OT noise that it has become more trouble than its worth to me to read
    through the noise and try to help those asking honest questions. Sad.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 24, 2007
  5. yes, it is. We've worked hard here to keep this group a good place to be,
    and it has made a difference. Unfortunately, in the Vista NG, there are
    those who feed the trolls who should know better. The result is they have a
    place that's troll friendly, but not user friendly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 24, 2007
  6. Sam Crawford

    John Barnes Guest

    With only about 8 kills, about 40% of the posts disappear. My problem is
    that there are 3-4 MVP's that constantly spar with them (and therefore add
    to the crap) and while I like to read their useful posts, it is real
    tempting to kill them also.

    John Barnes, Apr 24, 2007
  7. Sam Crawford

    mikeyhsd Guest

    that one of the biggest problems, the mvp attitude and the people who do not mind speaking up about it.

    mikeyhsd, Apr 24, 2007
  8. Sam Crawford

    John Barnes Guest

    However, I have never seen a negative post about Colin, and many, many
    complimentary and thankful posts. Same in this group for Charlie. Other
    MVP's don't post much in this group comparatively, but are mostly helpful.
    John Barnes, Apr 24, 2007
  9. We try to be. Actually, it's the regulars here that make this group healthy.
    We've actively avoided feeding the trolls here, and even convinced folks to
    avoid the AMD v. Intel discussions that could have easily gotten unhealthy
    in the early days.

    What I appreciate as the MVP who has been around this group from the very
    beginning is that when I go away, because I'm overloaded on a project or out
    of office or whatever, the group keeps right on answering folks and being
    the resource it has been since the beginning. I can't tell you how much that
    means to me as someone who feels a certain responsibility for this group. (I
    fought strongly for its creation inside MS when it was not a popular
    position.) The regulars here are a pleasure to know and work with. Thank
    you.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 24, 2007
  10. Only one comment - I've actively discussed this exact issue with the folks
    in the MS MVP program responsible. We'll see if there's any improvement. But
    ultimately, MVPs are completely independent of MS and do what we do, and how
    we do it, entirely because it's the kind of person we are. No one at MS can
    (or would even attempt) to tell me what I can and can't say.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 24, 2007
  11. Charlie:
    Like I said in my Easter salutation: This group is more like a family.
    And this family is proud to have MVP's like you and Colin, and outstanding
    regulars from all the world.
    Let's hope we can keep this house clean and free (also) of "Linux vs Vista"
    "XP vs Vista" trolls.
    Have a great day, Charlie
    Carlos
    (from the bottomside of the world)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 24, 2007
  12. Indeed, Carlos. My thoughts exactly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 24, 2007
  13. Sam Crawford

    Jane C Guest

    Ditto :) vista.general has certainly degenerated of late. Most unpleasant.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Jane C, Apr 24, 2007
  14. Hi, Jane. Congrats on your award!

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 25, 2007
  15. Another fine MVP on the group!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 25, 2007
  16. Sam Crawford

    John Barnes Guest

    Missed seeing that. My congratulation also. Well deserved.

    John Barnes, Apr 25, 2007
  17. Sam Crawford

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Jane:
    Congratulations and I agree with you fully. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Apr 25, 2007