    1. Advertising

  2. doddsy

    Gary MCSE Guest

    Gary MCSE, May 27, 2005

  3. I got the email yesterday, but didn't say anything because I figured it was
    covered by NDA. OTOH, since it's now public...

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  4. Gary MCSE <> wrote:
    > Wow, how cool is that?
    > I was sort of hoping for this, having received so much from Microsoft
    > in the past for attending seminars etc., I am glad they are doing
    > this.
    > The article mentions an email being sent to the testers.
    > Has anyone received one as yet?
    > Just curious.
    > "doddsy" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Treats_Testers_to_XP_Pro_x64/1117205301

    Yes, got mine this morning...
    According to MS, will take a few weeks ...
    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, May 27, 2005
  5. Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  6. doddsy

    NNBXX Guest

    You softies are real gentlemen :)

    I'm not what you could call an "active tester", so I don't expect a free
    copy, and I don't feel bitter at all about that. But I'm really happy for
    those who actually spent much of their time reporting bugs in x64, thus
    contributing to make it the excellent operating system we use today.

    Regards,

    Jean-Baptiste

    NNBXX, May 27, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa, May 27, 2005
  8. doddsy

    Gary MCSE Guest

    OK, so how is ones eligibility determined?
    I've posted probably 6-8 times between the two newsgroups..
    Contributed some good thoughts/ideas.
    Sniffle...I didn't get an email...sniffle..

    Gary MCSE, May 27, 2005
  9. I would have said I was only moderately active. I don't remember if I
    actually filed a bug, but I did raise some issues in the NG. And yes, I'm
    glad to see they did this. When the original XP was released, they were very
    generous about "beta payback" copies. But that hasn't been so true of late.
    This is a good thing they are doing.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  10. Gary MCSE <> wrote:
    > OK, so how is ones eligibility determined?
    > I've posted probably 6-8 times between the two newsgroups..
    > Contributed some good thoughts/ideas.
    > Sniffle...I didn't get an email...sniffle..

    Hi Gary

    Be patient, I think it's just the begining of the process. It may take a
    while before you get your mail ;)
    I hope it for you anyway

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, May 27, 2005
  11. doddsy

    Gary MCSE Guest

    I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off the
    download list.
    Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names making
    it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and Posting" versus those
    who simply downloaded and never posted.
    But then again...Just my $.02

    Gary MCSE, May 27, 2005
  12. Yes, though one was supposed to use one's beta ID in every post on the beta
    NGs, regardless of what actual name you used. That beta ID should have been
    sufficient to identify you. But honestly, I don't know what processes are in
    place on this. I did post a couple of bugs, now that I think about it. Of the
    "x isn't working, or won't install" variety. Mostly things that I ultimately
    knew ahead of time wouldn't, like Services for UNIX, and right mouse
    extensions to Explorer. But they need to hear that we use and need things
    like this. (And SFU is still the one last thing I'm really, really missing on
    x64.)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  13. This most likely only applies to the Beta Testers, not to be confused with
    the Customer Preview Program.
    Those are two different programs with different purposes.

    Microsoft has known from the beginning who the Beta testers are.
    If someone is not sure or they wonder how Microsoft may have the
    information, they most likely are not a Beta tester and will not get access
    to the download.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 27, 2005
  14. good point -- there is a very real difference between the CPP and the Tech
    Beta.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  15. Charlie;
    I think some reading the article may confuse the Beta program with the
    Customer Preview Program.
    Countless people were involved in the CPP in the windowsserver_64bit
    newsgroup.
    But those are not necessarily Beta participants.
    The CPP participants also do not have a Beta ID tied to the Beta program.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 27, 2005
  16. Gary;
    Based on the questions you are asking, it seems you participated in the
    Customer Preview Program and not the Beta program.
    If that is the case, you probably will not get access to the download.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 27, 2005
  17. yes, and part of the reason why I didn't post anything here when I got my
    email yesterday.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  18. doddsy

    Gary MCSE Guest

    No, I also participated in the Beta program, prior to the CPP, Having
    downloaded three diferent builds, one being the final RTM version.

    Gary MCSE, May 27, 2005
  19. Then Microsoft already has all your information that you gave prior to being
    accepted into the Beta.
    Everything essential is tied to the Beta ID so there is no problem for Beta
    testers with a real name or alias..

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 27, 2005
  20. doddsy

    Gary MCSE Guest

    How or where would one find his Beta ID?
    Is it possible to back track your registration?

    Gary MCSE, May 27, 2005