    Great way to spend the last 10 hours.

    Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.

    Still better than Linux, though...

    H.O.G, Jun 16, 2005

  2. H.O.G

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G <> wrote:

    >Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >
    >Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    >the fucking thing decided to fall over.
    >
    >Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    >detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    >wrong way.
    >
    >Great way to spend the last 10 hours.
    >
    >Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.
    >
    >Still better than Linux, though...

    Wow, Lunix must be Utter Crap!

    ;-)

    GraB, Jun 16, 2005

  3. H.O.G

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

    > Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >
    > Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after the
    > fucking thing decided to fall over.

    So, no backups then?

    > Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault detected.
    > Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the wrong way.
    >
    > Great way to spend the last 10 hours.
    >
    > Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.
    >
    > Still better than Linux, though...

    and you justify that statement how?

    Steve, Jun 16, 2005
  4. H.O.G wrote:
    > Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    > the fucking thing decided to fall over.

    > Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    > detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    > wrong way.

    IIS and exchange aye... certainly sounds a bit odd.

    > Still better than Linux, though...

    ahhh, a troll.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 16, 2005
  5. H.O.G

    shannon Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:19:14 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
    >

    >> Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >>
    >> Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after the
    >> fucking thing decided to fall over.

    > So, no backups then?
    >>
    >> Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault detected.
    >> Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the wrong way.
    >>
    >> Great way to spend the last 10 hours.
    >>
    >> Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.
    >>
    >> Still better than Linux, though...

    > and you justify that statement how?

    laziness

    shannon, Jun 16, 2005
  6. H.O.G

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:38:05 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G <> wrote:
    >

    >>Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >>
    >>Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after the
    >>fucking thing decided to fall over.
    >>
    >>Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault detected.
    >>Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the wrong way.
    >>
    >>Great way to spend the last 10 hours.
    >>
    >>Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.
    >>
    >>Still better than Linux, though...

    > Wow, Lunix must be Utter Crap!
    >
    > ;-)

    Woger, you're back !!

    BrianM

    BrianM, Jun 17, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    H.O.G <> wrote:

    >Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.
    >
    >Still better than Linux, though...

    Keep saying that to yourself. Remember, you must believe it. Show no
    weakness!

    "Nobody got fired for buying Microsoft" just doesn't seem persuasive
    enough any more. How about "Nobody ever got flayed alive for buying
    Microsoft" ... "Nobody ever got smeared with honey and left buried up
    their neck in an ants' nest for buying Microsoft" ... "Nobody ever
    suffered the Death Of A Thousand Cuts While Immersed In a Vat Of Salt
    Water for buying Microsoft" ... "Nobody ever got forced to watch
    'Everybody Loves Raymond' reruns for buying Microsoft" ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2005
  8. H.O.G

    Dave Taylor Guest

    H.O.G <> wrote in news:0lo2b1pq6lechku1u0d5v9i2oa8rpu1vms@
    4ax.com:

    > Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    > the fucking thing decided to fall over.

    Why not use Groupwise by Novell? Do your users actually use every feature
    in exchange? Or is it because it came with SBS?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 17, 2005
  9. H.O.G

    Mr Scebe Guest

    > H.O.G wrote:
    >> Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    >> the fucking thing decided to fall over.

    >> Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    >> detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    >> wrong way.

    > IIS and exchange aye... certainly sounds a bit odd.

    OWA on a single box? Certainly not how you'd want to do it.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jun 17, 2005
  10. H.O.G

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:43:33 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >H.O.G wrote:
    >> Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    >> the fucking thing decided to fall over.

    >> Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    >> detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    >> wrong way.

    >IIS and exchange aye... certainly sounds a bit odd.

    Why does that sound odd?

    It was actually IISAdmin, due to a messed up Metabase.xml file
    (amongst numerous other things).

    >> Still better than Linux, though...

    >ahhh, a troll.

    No, not a troll.

    It was one of those frustrating times. Fix one problem, only to find
    another. Then another. It was seriously messed up.

    Interesting how everyone's jumped on my Linux comment. That might have
    been a wee bit trolly, but it is still true. Linux falls over just as
    badly, but at least there's good information on the web about Windows,
    and troubleshooting odd problems. Ever tried to troubleshoot odd
    errors on Linux servers? I have, and it is bloody horrid.

    H.O.G, Jun 17, 2005
  11. H.O.G

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:19:14 +1200, Steve <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >> Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after the
    >> fucking thing decided to fall over.

    >So, no backups then?

    Of course we had backups, but it was well worth spending 10 hours to
    recover 24 hours worth of data. Simple, really.

    >> Still better than Linux, though...

    >and you justify that statement how?

    Previous experiences.

    H.O.G, Jun 17, 2005
  12. H.O.G

    H.O.G Guest

    On 17 Jun 2005 19:57:43 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >H.O.G <> wrote in news:0lo2b1pq6lechku1u0d5v9i2oa8rpu1vms@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    >> the fucking thing decided to fall over.
    >>

    >Why not use Groupwise by Novell? Do your users actually use every feature
    >in exchange? Or is it because it came with SBS?

    Haven't touch Novell since Uni. Thought it was pretty much dead,
    actually.

    How well does Groupwise tie in with Outlook, with calendar sharing
    etc?

    H.O.G, Jun 17, 2005
  13. H.O.G

    Dave Taylor Guest

    H.O.G <> wrote in news:1465b1heaquprskbg208hsq6mejsm4vik6@
    4ax.com:

    > How well does Groupwise tie in with Outlook, with calendar sharing
    > etc?

    It lacks here, Outlook is tied to Exchange calendars, Groupwise and its
    client is tied to the Groupwise Calender. Microsoft and Novell have
    connectors but it is really about one or the other. I can tell you that
    Groupwise has been shown to be more stable over time and require less
    maintenace per head of user or admin. It is a different story if you
    want to sync to palm pilots etc, there you just have to stick with
    Exchange because that is where the third party sync tools focus their
    market to. If all you do is mail, calendar, tasks etc, the I personally
    think Groupwise is better.
    See this web site:
    http://www.iwantgroupwise.com/
    and
    http://www.iwantnetware.com/

    Neither products are dead just undermarketed.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 17, 2005
  14. Re: Thanks, Mightgrowsoft (Warning: Contains Expletives)

    In article <>,
    H.O.G <> wrote:

    >Interesting how everyone's jumped on my Linux comment. That might have
    >been a wee bit trolly, but it is still true. Linux falls over just as
    >badly, but at least there's good information on the web about Windows,
    >and troubleshooting odd problems. Ever tried to troubleshoot odd
    >errors on Linux servers? I have, and it is bloody horrid.

    Let's see, my two main clients probably have about a dozen Linux
    machines between them by now--most of which were set up by me. For
    distros, there's Gentoo, Red Hat and SuSE. The oldest one is going back
    about two and a half years.

    Yes, I have occasionally had to troubleshoot problems on them--not very
    often. Most of the problems manifested themselves in code that I had
    written, and tracking them down was _never_ "bloody horrid", though it
    was occasionally baffling for a while.

    The most unsettling problem I've seen so far was once when MySQL, that
    paragon of reliability, suddenly stopped updating its tables properly.
    This left me completely stumped for maybe a quarter of an hour, until I
    noticed that the partition containg the databases had become full! Soon
    as I freed up some space, MySQL resumed behaving properly again. And it
    didn't even suffer any database corruption in the interim. How's that
    for reliability?

    In short, solving Linux problems has _never_ been for me a case of
    "voodoo black magic"--trying different poorly-understood things in the
    hope that they _might_ work, as is often the case with troubleshooting
    Microsoft Windows. In all cases with Linux, the technique that worked
    for me has been to understand exactly what the problem is, and then to
    come up with the corresponding solution to fix it once and for all. In
    particular, I have _never_ done a Linux reinstall to fix a problem.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2005
  15. H.O.G

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G <> says...

    > Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >
    > Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    > the fucking thing decided to fall over.
    >
    > Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    > detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    > wrong way.
    >
    > Great way to spend the last 10 hours.

    You didn't get paid for it?

    Rob J, Jun 17, 2005
  16. H.O.G

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:17:27 +1200, Rob J <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G <> says...
    >>
    >> Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >>
    >> Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    >> the fucking thing decided to fall over.
    >>
    >> Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    >> detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    >> wrong way.
    >>
    >> Great way to spend the last 10 hours.

    >You didn't get paid for it?

    Doesn't make it any more fun...

    H.O.G, Jun 17, 2005
  17. H.O.G

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

    > Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >
    > Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    > the fucking thing decided to fall over.
    >
    > Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    > detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    > wrong way.
    >
    > Great way to spend the last 10 hours.
    >
    > Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.
    >
    > Still better than Linux, though...

    <sniggaaaaarrrrrrrrr>

    You like to waste your time with Micro$oft software, then don't share
    your pathetic bleating when you get fucked over by your beloved software
    vendor's utterly pathetic software.

    You like and support Micro$oft - you get exactly what you deserve!

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 17, 2005
  18. H.O.G

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:07:38 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:32:22 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> Stupid fucking Windows Server.
    >>
    >> Just got home from rebuilding a stupid fucking exchange server after
    >> the fucking thing decided to fall over.
    >>
    >> Full corruption throughout IIS and Exchange. No hardware fault
    >> detected. Obviously someone looked at the stupid fucking thing the
    >> wrong way.
    >>
    >> Great way to spend the last 10 hours.
    >>
    >> Stupid fucking Windows, bloody Microsoft, and all that.
    >>
    >> Still better than Linux, though...

    ><sniggaaaaarrrrrrrrr>
    >

    >You like to waste your time with Micro$oft software, then don't share
    >your pathetic bleating when you get fucked over by your beloved software
    >vendor's utterly pathetic software.
    >
    >You like and support Micro$oft - you get exactly what you deserve!
    >

    >Bling Bling

    Oh, I remember when I was like you, all full of ideology. Then I met
    the real world, and realise there was a massive difference between the
    warm and fuzzies and practicality. Now I use the best tool for the job
    - whether it be Windows, Linux, or an FX-82. Never a Mac, though.

    I bet you think Kyoto's a good idea, too?

    H.O.G, Jun 17, 2005
  19. H.O.G

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:32 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

    > I bet you think Kyoto's a good idea, too?

    I think that an international treaty to control greenhouse gas emissions
    is a very good thing.

    The bigest problem with that is the USA refusing to ratify it - the USA
    being one of the planet's worst poluters.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 18, 2005
  20. In article <pan.2005.06.18.03.42.13.445857@TRACKER>,
    Bling-Bling <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:20:32 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
    >
    >> I bet you think Kyoto's a good idea, too?

    >I think that an international treaty to control greenhouse gas emissions
    >is a very good thing.
    >
    >The bigest problem with that is the USA refusing to ratify it - the USA
    >being one of the planet's worst pol[l]uters.

    That may be changing. In the last New Scientist, there was a report of
    several cities/counties/states around the US that were starting to see
    the advantages of participating in carbon trading under Kyoto. So we may
    yet see the beginnings of a clamour from within the US for it to ratify.

    Lawrence D’Oliveiro, Jun 18, 2005