    so that should make things easier.

    Cheers Again

    Alex
    alex, Sep 16, 2005

  2. alex

    tbm Guest

    >I took the plunge and bought the Canon >350D today. Very please with it

    good for you!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy!!!!!!!! rgds to all from TBM...
    tbm, Sep 17, 2005

  3. "alex" wrote
    > Missing the 10x zoom I had on my Kodak DX-6490 though !!
    >
    > Will have to keep a lookout for a 10x ish zoom for long shots and save the
    > pennies ...

    Make sure to save enough to get IS (Image Stabilization). It is well worth
    the extra as you don't have to carry a tripod or sandbag around.

    Take care,
    Linda
    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 17, 2005
  4. alex wrote:
    > Thanks to CanonGirlie and BD for their advice on lense specs !!
    >
    > I took the plunge and bought the Canon 350D today. Very please with it
    > indeed, it makes using manual exposure so much easier than on my Digital.

    Hey alex - the 350D is digital...

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 17, 2005
  5. alex

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > alex wrote:
    >> Thanks to CanonGirlie and BD for their advice on lense specs !!
    >>
    >> I took the plunge and bought the Canon 350D today. Very please with it
    >> indeed, it makes using manual exposure so much easier than on my Digital.

    > Hey alex - the 350D is digital...
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Yes, but the images don't look digital.
    JohnR66, Sep 17, 2005
  6. alex

    dwight Guest

    "Linda Nieuwenstein" <> wrote in message

    > "alex" wrote
    >> Missing the 10x zoom I had on my Kodak DX-6490 though !!
    >>
    >> Will have to keep a lookout for a 10x ish zoom for long shots and save
    >> the pennies ...
    >>

    > Make sure to save enough to get IS (Image Stabilization). It is well worth
    > the extra as you don't have to carry a tripod or sandbag around.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Linda

    Anybody have any experience with the Canon 2570A003 telephoto zoom lens?

    EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USM autofocus w/image stablization... B&H price
    $439.95 at the moment (on backorder, of course).

    Looking to upgrade, myself, from the S1 IS to the Rebel XT, but I know for a
    certainty that I'd miss the IS part of the equation...

    dwight
    dwight, Sep 17, 2005
  7. alex

    jean Guest

    "dwight" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > "Linda Nieuwenstein" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "alex" wrote
    > >> Missing the 10x zoom I had on my Kodak DX-6490 though !!
    > >>
    > >> Will have to keep a lookout for a 10x ish zoom for long shots and save
    > >> the pennies ...
    > >>

    > > Make sure to save enough to get IS (Image Stabilization). It is well

    worth
    > > the extra as you don't have to carry a tripod or sandbag around.
    > >
    > > Take care,
    > > Linda

    > Anybody have any experience with the Canon 2570A003 telephoto zoom lens?
    >
    > EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USM autofocus w/image stablization... B&H price
    > $439.95 at the moment (on backorder, of course).
    >
    > Looking to upgrade, myself, from the S1 IS to the Rebel XT, but I know for

    > certainty that I'd miss the IS part of the equation...

    I do, took some very good shots with it. It's main flaw is the slow
    focussing motor but the rest to me is quite good, especially the IS.

    Jean
    jean, Sep 17, 2005
  8. "jean" wrote...

    > "dwight" a écrit Anybody have any experience with the Canon 2570A003
    > telephoto zoom lens?
    >>
    >> EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USM autofocus w/image stablization... B&H price
    >> $439.95 at the moment (on backorder, of course).
    >>
    >> Looking to upgrade, myself, from the S1 IS to the Rebel XT, but I know
    >> for

    >> certainty that I'd miss the IS part of the equation...
    >>

    > I do, took some very good shots with it. It's main flaw is the slow
    > focussing motor but the rest to me is quite good, especially the IS.
    >
    > Jean

    I'm with Jean. I have the earlier model just before the IS was added (EF
    75-300mm F/4.0-5.6 USA AF) and it is good (it was also a lot cheaper than
    what you quoted at $299.99 CND, now selling for a lot less again) except
    soft on the long end (due to no IS and I'm too lazy to carry a tripod, and
    forget the sandbag more often than not) and like it successor a little slow
    focusing. Other than that it has been a good lens. If the IS version was on
    the market when I got my lens I would have saved up more dollars and went
    with the IS version instead.

    Take care,
    Linda
    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 17, 2005
  9. alex

    dwight Guest

    "jean" <> wrote in message

    > "dwight" <> a écrit dans le message de
    >>
    >> Anybody have any experience with the Canon 2570A003
    >> telephoto zoom lens?
    >>
    >> EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USM autofocus w/image stablization...
    >> B&H price $439.95 at the moment (on backorder, of course).
    >>
    >> Looking to upgrade, myself, from the S1 IS to the Rebel XT,
    >> but I know for a certainty that I'd miss the IS part of the equation...
    >>

    > I do, took some very good shots with it. It's main flaw is the slow
    > focussing motor but the rest to me is quite good, especially the IS.
    >
    > Jean

    Thanks, Jean. I was never happy with my telephoto shots on film, even with
    tripod. When I bought the S1, I found out what IS can do for a guy with
    shaky hands!

    Reading the review of this lens, there is some complaint about focus beyond,
    say, 200mm, and focus in low-light situations seems problematic (gee, that's
    about what I'm used to with the S1), but it's generally described as a
    terrific all-around lens for amateurs (read: me) and for not a lot of money.

    I may dive in and pick this one up, or wait and spend $1000+ for the L
    series. (But I hate to wait.)

    dwight
    dwight, Sep 17, 2005
  10. alex

    Bill Guest

    jean wrote:

    >> Anybody have any experience with the Canon 2570A003 telephoto zoom lens?
    >>
    >> EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USM autofocus w/image stablization... B&H price
    >> $439.95 at the moment (on backorder, of course).
    >>
    >> Looking to upgrade, myself, from the S1 IS to the Rebel XT, but I know for
    >> a certainty that I'd miss the IS part of the equation...

    >I do, took some very good shots with it. It's main flaw is the slow
    >focussing motor but the rest to me is quite good, especially the IS.

    If you want IS in a long zoom, wait another week and check out the
    replacement to the above lense.

    The new 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM sounds like it might be worth waiting for,
    if the MTF charts from Canon are to be believed. The optics should be
    quite a bit better, and the 3rd gen IS works better too with up to 3
    stops of stabilization. The AF should be faster as well with updated
    electronics.

    It'll cost a couple hundred bucks more, but if the optical performance
    is as good as indicated, it'll be well worth the cost. That's the kind
    of lense I would toss in my camera bag when walking around all day at an
    interesting locale...small and light with decent performance.
    Bill, Sep 17, 2005
  11. alex

    dwight Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message news:...

    > It'll cost a couple hundred bucks more, but if the optical performance
    > is as good as indicated, it'll be well worth the cost. That's the kind
    > of lense I would toss in my camera bag when walking around all day at an
    > interesting locale...small and light with decent performance.

    Thanks for the heads-up.

    Every time I buy a piece of equipment, its successor comes out almost
    immediately. I'd like to be ON the curve, instead of woefully behind it.

    dwight
    dwight, Sep 17, 2005
  12. alex

    Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:46:44 -0400, "dwight" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bill" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> It'll cost a couple hundred bucks more, but if the optical performance
    >> is as good as indicated, it'll be well worth the cost. That's the kind
    >> of lense I would toss in my camera bag when walking around all day at an
    >> interesting locale...small and light with decent performance.

    >Thanks for the heads-up.
    >
    >Every time I buy a piece of equipment, its successor comes out almost
    >immediately. I'd like to be ON the curve, instead of woefully behind it.

    I've found the same with computers. Whenever I buy a new piece of kit
    I close my eyes for the next 6 months :)
    , Sep 17, 2005
  13. alex

    Bill Guest

    dwight wrote:

    >> It'll cost a couple hundred bucks more, but if the optical performance
    >> is as good as indicated, it'll be well worth the cost. That's the kind
    >> of lense I would toss in my camera bag when walking around all day at an
    >> interesting locale...small and light with decent performance.

    >Thanks for the heads-up.
    >
    >Every time I buy a piece of equipment, its successor comes out almost
    >immediately. I'd like to be ON the curve, instead of woefully behind it.

    Ok, just stand where you are, don't move, and the curve will catch up
    with you!

    :)

    I know exactly how you feel. Electronics keep changing and it makes me
    wonder if the far-fetched stuff in Star Trek is really all that
    far-fetched...?

    Anywho...the 70-300 might be a really good lense. I'm looking forward to
    having a look at it myself. It's reasonably small and light, which helps
    when you're carrying lenses all day long. I never bought the 75-300
    because it...well, sucked, for optical performance. Hopefully this new
    lense has reasonably good optics.
    Bill, Sep 18, 2005
  14. alex

    Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >>Every time I buy a piece of equipment, its successor comes out almost
    >>immediately. I'd like to be ON the curve, instead of woefully behind it.

    >I've found the same with computers. Whenever I buy a new piece of kit
    >I close my eyes for the next 6 months :)

    "Denial...it's not just a river in Egypt no more".

    :)

    Sorry, couldn't resist that one!
    Bill, Sep 18, 2005