Thanks (and apologies) for your comments on "The Most Obvious Question You Are Ever Likely To See" (

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Curious George, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Dear Colleagues:

    In all of my years of posting to newsgroups I would have to say that the
    response you all provided me are among the best I have ever seen. I thank
    you all so very much for your advise.

    To those of you who mentioned my excessive cross-posting, please accept my
    apologies but this total lack of security is something that has given me
    nightmares.

    To those of you who suggested that I publish the address of one of our
    parking lots, I would like to, if anything to prove a point, however, being
    that I am the poor slob who would be called upon to remedy the problem (and
    likely be the one who is blamed) its not advisable.

    Now, without going into much fanfare (and to better respond to those of you
    who inquired), my boss is one of those people who thinks they know it all.
    My boss is a teacher and we are a school and every time that I have
    suggested that we secure our wireless network, my boss rolls her eyes as if
    I were crying wolf. The people who installed our waps said that we should
    have some type of security in place, but her thing is all about what happens
    if somebody comes in with a laptop and cannot connect. Of course I said
    that such a person would have to visit the IT department, but this has
    fallen upon deaf ears.

    The biggest problem is not with the fact that my boss knows precious little
    about managing a network and that the last time she was involved in any form
    of network management was sometime back in 1985, it is because she is
    adamant about her technical knowledge. It does not matter if 99% of the
    industry believes in something (for example, having SDLT tape backup
    devices) its what she thinks works and does not. In short, she is
    completely ignorant.

    To be clear, I have no quams about having a woman boss. What I have a
    problem with is somebody who is so adamant that they are right and I am
    wrong that it seems that no matter what I say, she will go against it.
    There are more issues here than meet the eye, but I had to draw the line
    when it came to the integrity of our data, not to mention what could happen
    if the wrong person got in.

    For those of you who mentioned that I should tread carefully, thank you. I
    already have my resume and cover letter updated for even if they turned
    around and changed all of the things that are totally wrong and dangerous, I
    cannot stay in the sort of environment where our administrators take the
    advice of somebody who clearly has precious little technical knowledge over
    the advice of somebody who comes in with recommendations from a plethora of
    experts.

    This being said, I thank those of you who graciously contributed to this
    thread and apologize to those who feel that my cross posts were excessive -
    regardless of these complaints, those of you who took issue with my
    crossposting also contributed good advise never the less.

    Thank you so very much for your time and advice - I hope that somehow we can
    cross paths in the future and I can repay the favor.

    Curious George

    Curious George, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Curious George

    maximillianx Guest

    By the way - I know I came in on the conversation late -

    To appease your boss, you might consider creating VLANS on your network,
    then having one access point in a shared lobby area that can let that person
    out to the Internet. Then isolate all traffic on this VLAN from the rest of
    your network. Now your "person who comes through the door" can get out, and
    doesn't harm the rest of your network.

    Something else to try is to get someone to perform an IDS audit on your
    network. She will find out very quickly that steps need to be taken to
    secure your network. Usually, these folks can provide a substantial amount
    of industry standard information that will back up your concerns.

    I have other thoughts on the matter, but didn't know if this had been
    suggested yet or not.

    Rob

    maximillianx, Mar 14, 2005