    putting out in retail stores. And so much for new and advanced
    technology in Vista's crippled Media Center, too. We're in trouble if
    the future is here!
    Just Visiting, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Just Visiting

    Fishface Guest

    Just Visiting wrote:
    > My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that
    > works perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows.

    So, what product of theirs is it that has you feeling all warm and fuzzy?
    Are you recording OTA DTV in the 'States' or some other broadcast
    standard elsewhere? Oh, and how do you view this recorded content
    afterward?

    Or perhaps you work for Hauppauge? We can't just take your word for
    it, I hope you understand.
    Fishface, Feb 23, 2008

  3. On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:31:22 GMT, "Fishface" <?>
    wrote:

    >Just Visiting wrote:
    >> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that
    >> works perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows.

    >So, what product of theirs is it that has you feeling all warm and fuzzy?
    >Are you recording OTA DTV in the 'States' or some other broadcast
    >standard elsewhere? Oh, and how do you view this recorded content
    >afterward?
    >
    >Or perhaps you work for Hauppauge? We can't just take your word for
    >it, I hope you understand.

    We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
    enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
    all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
    QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
    antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
    everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
    Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
    paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
    electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
    use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.
    Just Visiting, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Just Visiting

    olfart Guest

    "Just Visiting" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:31:22 GMT, "Fishface" <?>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just Visiting wrote:
    >>> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that
    >>> works perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows.

    >>So, what product of theirs is it that has you feeling all warm and fuzzy?
    >>Are you recording OTA DTV in the 'States' or some other broadcast
    >>standard elsewhere? Oh, and how do you view this recorded content
    >>afterward?
    >>
    >>Or perhaps you work for Hauppauge? We can't just take your word for
    >>it, I hope you understand.
    >>

    > We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
    > enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
    > all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
    > QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
    > antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
    > everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
    > Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
    > paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
    > electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
    > use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.

    you might want to look at HAVA...it's similar to Slingbox but with more
    features including burning
    you can record to HD or burn to a DVD without all the DRM limitations. Burns
    a 3 hour movie in less than 15 minutes.
    There is also a supplemental program...HAVA AutoRecord...which lets you
    schedule recording in advance right off of the program listing. I use it
    with my DirecTV setup and get excellent results. An NO I don't work for
    HAVA. Haven't used MS Media Center in months.
    olfart, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Just Visiting

    Ken Triebold Guest

    I have heard that Hauppauge is coming out with a dual-tuner ATSC PCIe card
    around April. This is exactly what I have been looking for and plan to buy
    one as soon as they become available. The Hauppauge brand name gives me a
    little more confidence than most others.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Just Visiting

    Fishface Guest

    Just Visiting wrote:

    > We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
    > enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
    > all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
    > QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
    > antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
    > everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
    > Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
    > paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
    > electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
    > use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.

    I guess everybody has their own set of specific needs and wants.
    I don't subscribe to cable, so the QAM aspect is of no use to me. I
    currently have an NTSC tuner card with poor reception of the lower
    NTSC OTA channels. My workflow may seem a little ridiculous, but
    I've gotten very good at it. It is as follows:

    1. Capture to NTSC DVD standard MPEG2 (timer recording)
    2. Import .mpg into DVD-LAB to demultiplex (drag and drop)
    3. Trim and edit commercials with Mpeg2schnitt
    4. Re-import trimmed .mpg into DVD-LAB to author and burn a
    quick $0.35 DVD for playing in upscaling SD DVD Player.

    I can do all in about five minutes, excluding comiling and burning time,
    which does not require my attention.

    I am impressed by the performance of the ATSC OTA tuners compared
    to the NTSC OTA tuners, and but would need a solution for trimming and
    viewing HD content after recording. Perhaps capturing to a networked
    drive and somehow playing back through a networked set-top box to the
    HDTV would be the ideal solution, if such can be done at a reasonable
    cost. Ideally, content could be played back to any TV in the house.

    As an interim solution, I picked-up one of those ATSC tuner boxes which
    outputs composite and a $9 indoor antenna at Walmart to play with. It
    receives all the channels perfectly. My tuner card has a composite and
    S-VIDEO input, and can be set to timer record from those inputs. The
    resulting recorded SD is good for DVD authoring and size, not so good
    for viewing, but much better than the NTSC tuner. This solution is not very
    good for subsequent unattended timer recording of different channels,
    though, which do need to be set manually.

    I looked-up the HAVA, but that seems to be 480i only.
    Fishface, Feb 23, 2008
  7. Just Visiting

    G-squared Guest

    On Feb 23, 11:06 am, "Fishface" <?> wrote:
> [...]

    house.

    > As an interim solution, I picked-up one of those ATSC tuner boxes

    which
    > outputs composite and a $9 indoor antenna at Walmart to play with.

     It
    > receives all the channels perfectly.  My tuner card has a composite

    and
    > S-VIDEO input, and can be set to timer record from those inputs.

    The
    > resulting recorded SD is good for DVD authoring and size, not so

    good
    > for viewing, but much better than the NTSC tuner.  This solution is

    not very
    > good for subsequent unattended timer recording of different

    channels,
    > though, which do need to be set manually.
    >
    > I looked-up the HAVA, but that seems to be 480i only.

    Do you record to the DVDs so that you can keep them or is it just a
    vehicle to use in multiple locations? I don't go with DVDs as I don't
    really want to watch a show more than once or twice so keeping them
    'temporarily' archived on USB hard drives works pretty well. 500 gig
    USB drives can be had for $110 and hold 100+ 'hours' (42 minutes) of
    HD content. Editing out spots is very easy with VideoReDo and takes
    about 5 minutes for a 1 hour show and may take that and more to output
    the file though it doesn't require much in resources so you can keep
    surfing or doing other things while it's busy.

    The main TV recording computer (1 of 3) has a timer start to get that
    one show Friday afternoon. I don't like leaving machines on so the
    timer start of the machine works out well. While the computers do
    sometimes crash and lose a show, the mistakes on my part are 3 times
    more likely. Out of several hundred intended recordings, a total of 19
    have been botched. Except for a few SD shows, the bulk is all HD.

    GG
    G-squared, Feb 23, 2008
  8. Just Visiting

    Guest Guest

    "Fishface" <?> wrote in message news:K8_vj.428$my3.326@trndny06...
    > Just Visiting wrote:
    >
    > > We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
    > > enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
    > > all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
    > > QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
    > > antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
    > > everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
    > > Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
    > > paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
    > > electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
    > > use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.

    > I guess everybody has their own set of specific needs and wants.
    > I don't subscribe to cable, so the QAM aspect is of no use to me. I
    > currently have an NTSC tuner card with poor reception of the lower
    > NTSC OTA channels. My workflow may seem a little ridiculous, but
    > I've gotten very good at it. It is as follows:
    >
    > 1. Capture to NTSC DVD standard MPEG2 (timer recording)
    > 2. Import .mpg into DVD-LAB to demultiplex (drag and drop)
    > 3. Trim and edit commercials with Mpeg2schnitt
    > 4. Re-import trimmed .mpg into DVD-LAB to author and burn a
    > quick $0.35 DVD for playing in upscaling SD DVD Player.
    >
    > I can do all in about five minutes, excluding comiling and burning time,
    > which does not require my attention.

    Just for casual viewing, that seems like a lot of wasted time. I simply
    capture to a Hauppauge PVR-150, directly edit the MPEG2 files in
    VideoRedo (to nuke the commercials), then copy the resulting MPG
    files to a data DVD. Authoring is no longer necessary on most
    standalone players unless you need menus, titles or other fancy stuff.
    Guest, Feb 23, 2008
  9. Just Visiting

    Snowbound Guest

    In article <>,
    Just Visiting <> wrote:

    > no, I do not work for Hauppauge or have any association to the
    > company except for being a paying customer.

    That's really too bad, if it's true. When I find a company whose
    product or service I like, the first thing I do is investigate the
    possibility of investing in it, especially if it's a small-cap.
    Snowbound, Feb 23, 2008
  10. Just Visiting

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:47:31 -0500, Just Visiting wrote:

    > My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that works
    > perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows. We've burned enough
    > money into DVD recorders and DVRs that these electronic companies are
    > putting out in retail stores. And so much for new and advanced
    > technology in Vista's crippled Media Center, too. We're in trouble if
    > the future is here!

    And I'd like to thank Techsan for dumping all their early ATSC Air2PC
    cards so I could buy them on ebay for under $20 each and now have 6 of
    them in my MythTV system, which cost $0. It's really nice not to be
    limited to recording 1 or 2 shows at a time.

    Wes Newell, Feb 23, 2008
  11. Just Visiting

    Tantalust Guest

    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:31:22 GMT, "Fishface" <?> wrote:
    >>Just Visiting wrote:
    >>> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that
    >>> works perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows.

    >>So, what product of theirs is it that has you feeling all warm and fuzzy?
    >>Are you recording OTA DTV in the 'States' or some other broadcast
    >>standard elsewhere? Oh, and how do you view this recorded content
    >>afterward?
    >>Or perhaps you work for Hauppauge? We can't just take your word for
    >>it, I hope you understand.
    >>

    > We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
    > enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
    > all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
    > QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
    > antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
    > everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
    > Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
    > paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
    > electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
    > use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.

    Huh, it uses that weird little PCI-E x1 slot, I've wondered what the hell
    they made those for. :eek:)

    I've been using an earlier PCI type, [Myhd], and a couple of others way
    before that. They are great.
    Tantalust, Feb 23, 2008
  12. Just Visiting

    Phisherman Guest

    <> wrote:

    >My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that works
    >perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows. We've burned enough
    >money into DVD recorders and DVRs that these electronic companies are
    >putting out in retail stores. And so much for new and advanced
    >technology in Vista's crippled Media Center, too. We're in trouble if
    >the future is here!

    I'm still struggling with the Hauppauge mpg produced by the Scheduler
    and WinTV HVR-1600. I have to run it through a decoder and write out
    another mpg so that Windows Media Player 11 can play it on my XP PC. I
    suspect fooling around with codecs would cure it... or mess my up
    machine.
    :-(
    Phisherman, Feb 23, 2008
  13. Just Visiting

    Fishface Guest

    G-squared wrote:
    > Do you record to the DVDs so that you can keep them or is it just a
    > vehicle to use in multiple locations? I don't go with DVDs as I don't
    > really want to watch a show more than once or twice so keeping them
    > 'temporarily' archived on USB hard drives works pretty well.

    Mainly, the DVDs are just to get it to the TV. They're cheap enough
    to toss. The PBS kid's shows I record for my first grader may be
    watched a few times. They just autoplay, so authoring is no big deal.
    Drag and drop the files into the media window, drag the audio and
    video to the movie pane, click "Auto Chapters," and "Compile DVD."
    Occasionally, more than one go on a DVD, but I have menu templates
    and saved template projects, so it really takes no time at all.

    > 500 gig USB drives can be had for $110 and hold 100+ 'hours' (42 minutes)
    > of HD content.

    And how do you get it to play on the TV?

    > Editing out spots is very easy with VideoReDo and takes about 5 minutes
    > for a 1 hour show and may take that and more to output the file though it
    > doesn't require much in resources so you can keep surfing or doing other
    > things while it's busy.

    I had tried VideoReDo once and had audio sync problems with the files
    created by my Compro card. I just tried it again, and although trimming
    was quick and easy, and it would output separate audio and video streams,
    the audio sync problem was still there. My current method works perfectly.

    > The main TV recording computer (1 of 3) has a timer start to get that
    > one show Friday afternoon. I don't like leaving machines on so the
    > timer start of the machine works out well. While the computers do
    > sometimes crash and lose a show, the mistakes on my part are 3 times
    > more likely. Out of several hundred intended recordings, a total of 19
    > have been botched. Except for a few SD shows, the bulk is all HD.

    The Compro takes the computer out of Standby or Hibernation. What is
    your capture card and source (cable, satellite, or OTA)?
    Fishface, Feb 24, 2008
  14. Just Visiting

    G-squared Guest

    On Feb 23, 4:39 pm, "Fishface" <?> wrote:
    > G-squared wrote:
    > > Do you record to the DVDs so that you can keep them or is it just a
    > > vehicle to use in multiple locations? I don't go with DVDs as I don't
    > > really want to watch a show more than once or twice so keeping them
    > > 'temporarily' archived on USB hard drives works pretty well.

    > Mainly, the DVDs are just to get it to the TV.  They're cheap enough
    > to toss.  The PBS kid's shows I record for my first grader may be
    > watched a few times.  They just autoplay, so authoring is no big deal.
    > Drag and drop the files into the media window, drag the audio and
    > video to the movie pane, click "Auto Chapters," and "Compile DVD."
    > Occasionally, more than one go on a DVD, but I have menu templates
    > and saved template projects, so it really takes no time at all.
    >
    > > 500 gig USB drives can be had for $110 and hold 100+ 'hours' (42 minutes)
    > > of HD content.

    > And how do you get it to play on the TV?

    One PC is dedicated to the 50" DLP and can play files from its own
    hard drive or either of the other 2 via LAN. Most definitely not as
    simple as your DVDs but yours is SD and mine HD.

    > > Editing out spots is very easy with VideoReDo and takes about 5 minutes
    > > for a 1 hour show and may take that and more to output the file though it
    > > doesn't require much in resources so you can keep surfing or doing other
    > > things while it's busy.

    > I had tried VideoReDo once and had audio sync problems with the files
    > created by my Compro card.  I just tried it again, and although trimming
    > was quick and easy, and it would output separate audio and video streams,
    > the audio sync problem was still there.  My current method works perfectly.
    >
    > > The main TV recording computer (1 of 3) has a timer start to get that
    > > one show Friday afternoon. I don't like leaving machines on so the
    > > timer start of the machine works out well. While the computers do
    > > sometimes crash and lose a show, the mistakes on my part are 3 times
    > > more likely. Out of several hundred intended recordings, a total of 19
    > > have been botched. Except for a few SD shows, the bulk is all HD.

    > The Compro takes the computer out of Standby or Hibernation.  What is
    > your capture card and source (cable, satellite, or OTA)?

    Each PC has an ATI HDTV Wonder and 9600XT video card, 1 gig RAM and a
    500 gig drive to record OTA using a Winegard SquareShooter (no
    amplifier) from 35 miles out in 90274. Record software is ATI MMC
    9.14. The files are 1 MPEG-2 with the audio embedded and I've not seen
    separate audio / video. The machines are normally 'shut down' since
    electricity is too expensive to waste on a PC not doing anything.

    GG
    G-squared, Feb 24, 2008
  15. Just Visiting

    LDC Guest

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:16:54 -0800 (PST), G-squared
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 23, 4:39 pm, "Fishface" <?> wrote:
    >> G-squared wrote:
    >> > Do you record to the DVDs so that you can keep them or is it just a
    >> > vehicle to use in multiple locations? I don't go with DVDs as I don't
    >> > really want to watch a show more than once or twice so keeping them
    >> > 'temporarily' archived on USB hard drives works pretty well.

    >> Mainly, the DVDs are just to get it to the TV.  They're cheap enough
    >> to toss.  The PBS kid's shows I record for my first grader may be
    >> watched a few times.  They just autoplay, so authoring is no big deal.
    >> Drag and drop the files into the media window, drag the audio and
    >> video to the movie pane, click "Auto Chapters," and "Compile DVD."
    >> Occasionally, more than one go on a DVD, but I have menu templates
    >> and saved template projects, so it really takes no time at all.
    >>
    >> > 500 gig USB drives can be had for $110 and hold 100+ 'hours' (42 minutes)
    >> > of HD content.

    >> And how do you get it to play on the TV?

    >One PC is dedicated to the 50" DLP and can play files from its own
    >hard drive or either of the other 2 via LAN. Most definitely not as
    >simple as your DVDs but yours is SD and mine HD.
    >

    >> > Editing out spots is very easy with VideoReDo and takes about 5 minutes
    >> > for a 1 hour show and may take that and more to output the file though it
    >> > doesn't require much in resources so you can keep surfing or doing other
    >> > things while it's busy.

    >> I had tried VideoReDo once and had audio sync problems with the files
    >> created by my Compro card.  I just tried it again, and although trimming
    >> was quick and easy, and it would output separate audio and video streams,
    >> the audio sync problem was still there.  My current method works perfectly.
    >>
    >> > The main TV recording computer (1 of 3) has a timer start to get that
    >> > one show Friday afternoon. I don't like leaving machines on so the
    >> > timer start of the machine works out well. While the computers do
    >> > sometimes crash and lose a show, the mistakes on my part are 3 times
    >> > more likely. Out of several hundred intended recordings, a total of 19
    >> > have been botched. Except for a few SD shows, the bulk is all HD.

    >> The Compro takes the computer out of Standby or Hibernation.  What is
    >> your capture card and source (cable, satellite, or OTA)?

    >Each PC has an ATI HDTV Wonder and 9600XT video card, 1 gig RAM and a
    >500 gig drive to record OTA using a Winegard SquareShooter (no
    >amplifier) from 35 miles out in 90274. Record software is ATI MMC
    >9.14. The files are 1 MPEG-2 with the audio embedded and I've not seen
    >separate audio / video. The machines are normally 'shut down' since
    >electricity is too expensive to waste on a PC not doing anything.
    >
    >GG

    GG, do you have line of sight to Mt. WIlson or does PV have
    repeaters?
    LDC, Feb 25, 2008
  16. Just Visiting

    G-squared Guest

    On Feb 24, 5:11 pm, LDC <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > >> The Compro takes the computer out of Standby or Hibernation.

     What is
    > >> your capture card and source (cable, satellite, or OTA)?

    > >Each PC has an ATI HDTV Wonder and 9600XT video card, 1 gig RAM

    and a
    > >500 gig drive to record OTA using a Winegard SquareShooter (no
    > >amplifier) from 35 miles out in 90274. Record software is ATI MMC
    > >9.14. The files are 1 MPEG-2 with the audio embedded and I've not

    seen
    > >separate audio / video. The machines are normally 'shut down'

    since
    > >electricity is too expensive to waste on a PC not doing anything.

    > >GG

    > GG, do you have line of sight to Mt. WIlson or does PV have
    > repeaters?

    Line of sight - just barely over the house across the street - but
    after that totally clear. Elevation here at 390 ft. There might be
    repeaters on the ocean side of the hill but I have no idea if that is
    true.

    GG
    G-squared, Feb 25, 2008
  17. Just Visiting

    Bill's News Guest

    "Fishface" <?> wrote in

    > G-squared wrote:
    >> Do you record to the DVDs so that you can keep them or is it
    >> just a vehicle to use in multiple locations? I don't go with
    >> DVDs as I don't really want to watch a show more than once or
    >> twice so keeping them 'temporarily' archived on USB hard
    >> drives works pretty well.

    > Mainly, the DVDs are just to get it to the TV. They're cheap
    > enough to toss. The PBS kid's shows I record for my first
    > grader may be watched a few times. They just autoplay, so
    > authoring is no big deal. Drag and drop the files into the
    > media window, drag the audio and video to the movie pane,
    > click "Auto Chapters," and "Compile DVD." Occasionally, more
    > than one go on a DVD, but I have menu templates and saved
    > template projects, so it really takes no time at all.
    >
    >> 500 gig USB drives can be had for $110 and hold 100+ 'hours'
    >> (42 minutes) of HD content.

    > And how do you get it to play on the TV?
    >

    >> Editing out spots is very easy with VideoReDo and takes about
    >> 5 minutes for a 1 hour show and may take that and more to
    >> output the file though it doesn't require much in resources
    >> so you can keep surfing or doing other things while it's
    >> busy.

    > I had tried VideoReDo once and had audio sync problems with
    > the files created by my Compro card. I just tried it again,
    > and although trimming was quick and easy, and it would output
    > separate audio and video streams, the audio sync problem was
    > still there. My current method works perfectly.
    >

    >> The main TV recording computer (1 of 3) has a timer start to
    >> get that one show Friday afternoon. I don't like leaving
    >> machines on so the timer start of the machine works out well.
    >> While the computers do sometimes crash and lose a show, the
    >> mistakes on my part are 3 times more likely. Out of several
    >> hundred intended recordings, a total of 19 have been botched.
    >> Except for a few SD shows, the bulk is all HD.

    > The Compro takes the computer out of Standby or Hibernation.
    > What is your capture card and source (cable, satellite, or
    > OTA)?

    Just to add a bit to G²'s info, for any who may be interested:
    Using OnAir's digital/analog capture devices their software will
    capture the entire digital channel (all streams). OTA that would
    mean all PBS streams within ~8.6 MBs, for example. Via QAM that
    would mean whatever sources the cable company chooses to insert
    into the ~17.3 MBps channel, here CBS and NBC occupy the same
    channel and ABC, FOX, & PBS share a channel. VideReDo will
    optionally select a stream within a channel for editing, no
    demuxing required. So while my workflow is similar to G²'s, I
    may repeat the edit operation among different shows captured
    simultaneously. With two capture devices (tuners) I'm able to
    record all 5 major QAMs simultaneously - though it's a rare
    opportunity due to lack of content.

    As with G²'s situation, since these are HD streams there would be
    no benefit to an up-converting player (not that the PC is
    incapable of doing so) thus the edited streams remain on swapable
    HDDs for whatever time they'll be of interest - which, for
    seasonal episodic broadcasts is always beyond the season's end.

    Current cost of WDC 750 GB SATA HDDs is just about US$1.00 per
    usable 4.7 GB - very competitive with RW media and considerably
    more flexible while consuming a tiny fraction of the shelf space.
    Inserts for 5.25" bays are available for well under $50 to add
    hot-swap-ability to any SATA equipped system.

    BTW, I also capture SD analog at 12 Mbps CBR MPEG2 via the OnAir
    on-board-converters and find that PC playback using VLC or MPC
    over ATI x1300 video cards' DVI interfaces provides quality as
    good as I was getting from an OPPO 971 HDMI. Further, the OPPO
    and other similar players would play unauthored MPEG2 files, so
    there was no need to "make DVDs" for it. However, there was a
    need to break the files into 2 GB or less chunks (done during the
    VRD edit step). None of these players of which I'm aware will
    handle an HDTV MPEG2 stream.
    Bill's News, Feb 25, 2008
  18. Just Visiting

    Guest

    On Feb 23, 6:47 am, Just Visiting <>
    wrote:
    > My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that works
    > perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows. We've burned enough
    > money into DVD recorders and DVRs that these electronic companies are
    > putting out in retail stores. And so much for new and advanced
    > technology in Vista's crippled Media Center, too. We're in trouble if
    > the future is here!

    Moral of the story: If you want a product that does what you want,
    don't rely on companies such as Micro$oft, or $ony who are snuggling
    warmly in bed with the likes of the RIAA/MPAA. (in $ony's case, they
    ARE directly involved with the RIAA since they have a film/music
    branch).
    , Feb 26, 2008