thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Sep 28, 2007.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

    (As one of my good friends in news.software.readers branded me,
    I am proud to be a "reverse hardware snob".)

    ***

    Computer custom-ordered and built by some shop in some city in
    some country.

    Intel Pentium 166 MMX (original)

    PC Chips M572 MB (I originally got the M571, two died and there
    were no more in stock but the M572 had just come in so they gave
    me one)

    4 x 16MB EDO RAM DIMM's (original, changed 2 of them for one
    64MB DIMM about 6 months ago, total RAM now 96 MB)

    Matrox Mystique PCI (original)

    Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster (original)

    U.S. Robotics Sportster 33.6 Fax internal modem (original)

    LG CED-8080B CD-RW (upgraded from Toshiba 12x CD-ROM player 5 or
    6 years ago)

    8.4 GB Seagate HD (upgraded a few years ago after various drives
    ranging from 3GB to 40GB in size kept on dying - so far so good)

    15" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100sx monitor (original, image
    quality is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago)

    Dell AT-101W switch keyboard (upgraded about 7 years ago from a
    pre-Win keyboard that someone gave me)

    Logitech Track-Man Marble (Omron switches replaced a couple of
    years ago)

    APC Back-UPS Pro 280

    HP LaserJet 6L printer (original, second cartridge installed
    about a year ago - I don't print much)

    Beyer unidirectional microphone (over 30 years old but studio
    quality)

    Realistic Optimus STS 50AV shielded 2-way speakers

    ***

    DOS 6.22/Win95B OEM (Tweaked for several years until it finally
    ran the way I wanted it to.)

    Last system "patch" or "update" - I put in the ME versions of
    scandisk and defrag a few years ago.

    ***

    Core applications:
    (N.B. - nothing by Microsoft except the OS)

    Total Commander 6.55
    OffByOne 3.5a
    Opera 7.53
    Xnews 5.4.25
    nPop 1.01
    FileHound 1.2.2

    Adobe Pagemaker 6.52
    Edxor 1.60
    Micrografx Picture Publisher 7
    ACDSee 2.22
    STP mp3 player

    Acronis TrueImage Deluxe
    TaskInfo2000 2.2
    WinRAR 3.11
    CDRWin 4

    ***

    Boot time from BIOS password entry to full Windows load: 45
    seconds
    Overall speed - IMO, fast as heck
    Crashes or hangs - only when I do something really stupid or hit
    too many wrong keys at the same time.

    ***

    What it CAN do:
    Everything I need it to except music and video editing (see
    below). (It actually CAN convert - not edit - music or video,
    but it takes hours and hours, which is why I got the other
    machine.)

    What it can NOT do:
    Play games less than 10 years old (but I am not a gamer),
    watch/edit/convert video or music (but I have a 2GHz machine for
    that). (It CAN however *record* flv video - and any audio,
    obviously - as well as allow me to talk online and listen to
    internet radio - although the last time I bothered with either
    of those was about 8 years ago.)

    Many "new" programs or later versions of old ones don't run on
    95B. I find the older versions smaller, stabler, and faster,
    IOW, much better. AFAIAC, there hasn't been anything new worth
    using written for years. (Not counting certain new developments
    like mp3 and other audio and video compression methods, DVD-
    RW's, or Skype - which won't run on 95, but I have no one to
    talk to anyway.)

    ***

    Advantages:

    I don't have to worry about patches, updates, crashes, latest
    drivers, etc. I know the machine pretty well and don't worry
    about anything going wrong (it hasn't for a very long time). I
    get everything done faster than I would on an XP let alone Vista
    machine (except as mentioned, audio and video which are handled
    on the 2GHz machine). I get to spend money on other things.

    Disadvantages:

    Ridicule by people who enjoy spending several hours a week
    patching, updating, or reinstalling their OS's; "learning" to
    use useless new features; putting the computer in the living
    room as the second Idiot Box; and throwing their money away on
    bloated "new" versions of software for the most part originally
    conceived by someone else in the late 80's and early 90's. I
    also can't DL DVD's or use torrents, but since I prefer reading
    and music to movies and TV, I don't care.

    P.S.
    I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned this
    announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday that I
    wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind about an hour
    ago. Also, I was in a different time zone, and did not take
    "delivery" of the system until the 28th or 29th, so I think it's
    OK. Hope you agree.

    thanatoid, Sep 28, 2007

  2. thanatoid

    Mews Grewps Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Disadvantages:
    >
    > Ridicule by people who enjoy spending several hours a week
    > patching, updating, or reinstalling their OS's; "learning" to
    > use useless new features; putting the computer in the living
    > room as the second Idiot Box; and throwing their money away on
    > bloated "new" versions of software for the most part originally
    > conceived by someone else in the late 80's and early 90's. I
    > also can't DL DVD's or use torrents, but since I prefer reading
    > and music to movies and TV, I don't care.
    >
    > P.S.
    > I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned this
    > announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday that I
    > wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind about an hour
    > ago. Also, I was in a different time zone, and did not take
    > "delivery" of the system until the 28th or 29th, so I think it's

    Happy Birthday...

    Did you make a wish after blowing out the HD, I mean the candles?

    Mews Grewps, Sep 28, 2007

  3. thanatoid

    Guest

    , Sep 28, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > thanatoid <> wrote:
    >
    >>thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

    > http://z.about.com/d/webclipart/1/0/l/X/1/bcomp3.gif

    I bought this this desktop on which I'm writing, which is and always has
    been my primary system, in the spring of 1990. It has evolved, of
    course.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2007
  5. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Mews Grewps <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Happy Birthday...

    Thank you.

    > Did you make a wish after blowing out the HD, I mean the
    > candles?

    Nah. I don't actually believe in birthdays. NO ONE believes me,
    but when I was 19 I forgot mine until 3 days later. I swear on
    my 33.6 modem that it's true.

    thanatoid, Sep 28, 2007
  6. thanatoid

    sittingduck Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!
    >
    > (As one of my good friends in news.software.readers branded me,
    > I am proud to be a "reverse hardware snob".)

    Great, now you can go to your local Goodwill or Salvation army store, and buy
    a dozen more just like it for $10 apiece! Enough to last a lifetime!
    You could also start the PTBP club. (Proud To Be Pathetic)

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org

    sittingduck, Sep 28, 2007
  7. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote:
    >
    >>thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

    > http://z.about.com/d/webclipart/1/0/l/X/1/bcomp3.gif

    Thank you. Do you have like a 5GB database of links for every
    occasion??

    BTW, I really enjoy the different currently relevant or just
    funny url's you put in as your sigs.

    That bit someone wrote about Ballmer or Allen (not sure which
    one it is) throwing chairs - while selling a product called
    "Windows" - was really funny (yes, I read through ALMOST the
    whole page...)

    So, it's as bad as I thought it would be... Remember when my sig
    was "Anyone who installs Vista is insane"?

    But Vista is not going away, nor is MS. They've got the business
    world by the balls if you excuse the expression. And as for home
    users, most would just die without their IE and Outlook and WMP.

    When (if...?) my computer dies, I will go to Linux. Apple are
    too arrogant and too expensive, although their boxes look
    fantastic (and always have), and also I don't like not being
    able to "get inside" the system (I haven't touched a Mac for
    about 10 years so that MAY have changed, but the "just enjoy it
    and we'll make sure nothing crashes and everything runs right
    just as long as you don't stick your dumb fingers in the system"
    attitude never impressed me).

    I am rambling... Sorry...

    thanatoid, Sep 28, 2007
  8. thanatoid

    Mara Guest

    On 28 Sep 2007 05:45:30 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> thanatoid <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

    >> http://z.about.com/d/webclipart/1/0/l/X/1/bcomp3.gif

    >I bought this this desktop on which I'm writing, which is and always has
    >been my primary system, in the spring of 1990. It has evolved, of
    >course.

    Luxury. <g>

    I've got an AST Advantage Adventure 6060p, made in 1995, as my fifth machine in
    my office. 60mhz Pentium. Runs fine, and is handy at times when I don't feel
    like lugging my old 500mhz upstairs and adding a client's hdd to it. I upgraded
    the hdd although the original 2.1GB works, and upgraded the OS from Windows 95
    to 98, but that's it.

    --
    The smallest feline is a masterpiece.
    --Leonardo da Vinci

    Mara, Sep 28, 2007
  9. thanatoid

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On 28 Sep 2007 05:45:30 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:

    > >> http://z.about.com/d/webclipart/1/0/l/X/1/bcomp3.gif

    > >I bought this this desktop on which I'm writing, which is and always has
    > >been my primary system, in the spring of 1990. It has evolved, of
    > >course.

    > Luxury. <g>
    >
    > I've got an AST Advantage Adventure 6060p, made in 1995, as my fifth machine in
    > my office. 60mhz Pentium. Runs fine, and is handy at times when I don't feel
    > like lugging my old 500mhz upstairs and adding a client's hdd to it. I upgraded
    > the hdd although the original 2.1GB works, and upgraded the OS from Windows 95
    > to 98, but that's it.

    Commodore PET 2001, 4K RAM, Tape drive, bought in 1977 (if I remember
    correctly) and still works.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS1.COM that
    create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a look
    at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Sep 28, 2007
  10. thanatoid

    Alfred Guest

    On 28 Sep 2007 04:50:47 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!
    >
    >(As one of my good friends in news.software.readers branded me,
    >I am proud to be a "reverse hardware snob".)
    >
    >***
    >
    >Computer custom-ordered and built by some shop in some city in
    >some country.
    >
    >Intel Pentium 166 MMX (original)

    Got one of those upstairs.
    A bit more memory than you but it runs win 98 and a wireless card.
    Quite adequate for email, web browsing and basic office applications

    Alfred, Sep 28, 2007
  11. Mara wrote:
    > On 28 Sep 2007 05:45:30 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> http://z.about.com/d/webclipart/1/0/l/X/1/bcomp3.gif

    >>I bought this this desktop on which I'm writing, which is and always
    >>has been my primary system, in the spring of 1990. It has evolved, of
    >>course.

    > Luxury. <g>
    >
    > I've got an AST Advantage Adventure 6060p, made in 1995, as my fifth
    > machine in my office. 60mhz Pentium. Runs fine, and is handy at times
    > when I don't feel like lugging my old 500mhz upstairs and adding a
    > client's hdd to it. I upgraded the hdd although the original 2.1GB
    > works, and upgraded the OS from Windows 95 to 98, but that's it.

    Yikes. Okay, my evolved 1990 system *is* a luxury. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2007
  12. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!
    >
    > (As one of my good friends in news.software.readers branded me,
    > I am proud to be a "reverse hardware snob".)
    >
    > ***
    > Matrox Mystique PCI (original)

    Is that a 3DFX card? I can't recall.

    > Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster (original)

    Great sound card.
    > 15" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100sx monitor (original, image
    > quality is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago)

    Can't get a better monitor either.

    > HP LaserJet 6L printer (original, second cartridge installed
    > about a year ago - I don't print much)

    Can't get better printers than that - *IF* you have the space.

    > I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned this
    > announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday that I
    > wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind about an hour
    > ago. Also, I was in a different time zone, and did not take
    > "delivery" of the system until the 28th or 29th, so I think it's
    > OK. Hope you agree.

    Yup. Buy quality and *ignore* price, build your own computer and you
    don't have problems. I'm sort of leery of LG cdroms, though. Replacement
    for Liteon in my books...

    I have an old DEC (that's right Digital) slimline 166Mhz pentium with an
    ISA Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster, 64 Meg of EDO ram. Still has it's
    original 8.4 HD along with a 20 I picked up a while back. Runs 95B as
    well along with Slackware - *manually* upgraded piecemeal from 7.0. One
    of these days I'll get a 3dFX card for it, for now I have a S3 Trio 3D
    clone card but I have another machine that I use for games. Has two ISA
    slots and two PCI slots. I *do* have a DVD, CDR/W and plain CD drive for
    it that I swap in and out. No hardware except a soundcard has gone bad -
    I have my suspicions that was due to bad ram I bought in a hole in the
    wall the same day.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 28, 2007
  13. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27,
    >> 2007!
    >>
    >> (As one of my good friends in news.software.readers
    >> branded me, I am proud to be a "reverse hardware snob".)
    >>
    >> ***
    >> Matrox Mystique PCI (original)
    >>

    > Is that a 3DFX card? I can't recall.

    Good question. Let's see if the help file says something about
    that.
    No, it's just "DirectDraw/Direct3D". And the card only has 4 MB
    BUT it runs 800x600 beautifully at 85Hz. That's perfect for a
    15" AFAIAC. I bought a used but pristine (could not resist) 19"
    Dell (Philips M990, VERY good reviews, beautiful image) but it
    was just too damn big, and I sold it to a friend.

    I had a choice between this card and the Millennium (which was
    about $30 more) but I just couldn't see the point. Still, Matrox
    has to be one of the best graphics card makers out there. Their
    frame rate in the latest cards may not match the usual NVidia
    etc, but the image quality is #1. But I'm not a gamer. And I
    just use the on-board Intel graphics chip in my other computer
    and it's fine.

    >> Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster (original)
    >>

    > Great sound card.

    >> 15" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100sx monitor (original,
    >> image quality is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago)

    > Can't get a better monitor either.

    I *HATE* LCD monitors. Did you see the widescreen Trinitron that
    came out about 5 or 7 years ago and was like 3 grand? WOW. I
    didn't even know about it until about 5 months ago when it
    turned up in a thread, when I said there WERE no widescreen
    CRT's... You can pick them up used for about $350-500 but there
    aren't many around.

    >> HP LaserJet 6L printer (original, second cartridge
    >> installed about a year ago - I don't print much)
    >>

    > Can't get better printers than that - *IF* you have the
    > space.

    You must be thinking of the earlier ones - this one has the
    weird looking design with vertical paper input. Small footprint.
    Fits on a bookshelf. Very happy with it. Wish I could say the
    same for the ^#!*#$!&#% Windows printing system.

    >> I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned
    >> this announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday
    >> that I wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind
    >> about an hour ago. Also, I was in a different time zone,
    >> and did not take "delivery" of the system until the 28th
    >> or 29th, so I think it's OK. Hope you agree.

    > Yup. Buy quality and *ignore* price, build your own
    > computer and you don't have problems. I'm sort of leery of
    > LG cdroms, though. Replacement for Liteon in my books...

    I have two LG CD-RW's, the 8080B on this machine, it's about 5-6
    yrs old, and the 8526B on the 2GHz machine, about 2 years old.
    They both work beautifully. I HAVE read reviews, and quite a few
    said the LG was the best one - let alone for the price... the
    Liteons are exactly the same price, but I have a feeling that
    the Korean stuff will be (already is, really) taking the place
    of what the Japanese used to be 25 years ago... Now only the
    absolute top of the line and REALLY expensive Japanese stuff is
    made in Japan... Everything else... you guessed it. And the HP
    and TDK and Sony and such burners all seem to have weird
    idiosyncrasies (including ridiculous prices).

    > I have an old DEC (that's right Digital) slimline 166Mhz
    > pentium

    COOL!

    > with an ISA Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster, 64 Meg of
    > EDO ram. Still has it's original 8.4 HD along with a 20 I
    > picked up a while back. Runs 95B as well along with
    > Slackware - *manually* upgraded piecemeal from 7.0. One of
    > these days I'll get a 3dFX card for it, for now I have a S3
    > Trio 3D clone card but I have another machine that I use
    > for games. Has two ISA slots and two PCI slots. I *do* have
    > a DVD, CDR/W and plain CD drive for it that I swap in and
    > out. No hardware except a soundcard has gone bad - I have
    > my suspicions that was due to bad ram I bought in a hole in
    > the wall the same day.

    I've been lucky with RAM. You never know what the hell you're
    getting (unless you buy the really expensive brand-name stuff)
    but I have never had a chip go bad.

    Regards
    t.

    "newer is not always better"

    thanatoid, Sep 29, 2007
  14. thanatoid

    Mews Grewps Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...

    >>> I bought this this desktop on which I'm writing, which is and always has
    >>> been my primary system, in the spring of 1990. It has evolved, of
    >>> course.

    >> Luxury. <g>
    >>
    >> I've got an AST Advantage Adventure 6060p, made in 1995, as my fifth machine in
    >> my office. 60mhz Pentium. Runs fine, and is handy at times when I don't feel
    >> like lugging my old 500mhz upstairs and adding a client's hdd to it. I upgraded
    >> the hdd although the original 2.1GB works, and upgraded the OS from Windows 95
    >> to 98, but that's it.

    > Commodore PET 2001, 4K RAM, Tape drive, bought in 1977 (if I remember
    > correctly) and still works.

    Oh my, that reminded my of my Sinclair 1000, which I then moved up to a
    Vic 20 with a tape drive and then a walloping Commodore 64

    Then my dad bought the first "portable" PC, the Osborne 1

    Good times...

    Mews Grewps, Sep 29, 2007
  15. thanatoid

    Cnut Guest

    "thanatoid" <> schreef in bericht
> [...]
    >
    > Disadvantages:
    >
    > Ridicule by people who enjoy spending several hours a week
    > patching, updating, or reinstalling their OS's; "learning" to
    > use useless new features; putting the computer in the living
    > room as the second Idiot Box; and throwing their money away on
    > bloated "new" versions of software for the most part originally
    > conceived by someone else in the late 80's and early 90's. I
    > also can't DL DVD's or use torrents, but since I prefer reading
    > and music to movies and TV, I don't care.
    >
    > P.S.
    > I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned this
    > announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday that I
    > wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind about an hour
    > ago. Also, I was in a different time zone, and did not take
    > "delivery" of the system until the 28th or 29th, so I think it's

    I still have a 1994 pentium 75, win95, 32 MB ram, 1.6 GB hd in my hobby
    room, running the Opera browser to get online radio stations.
    It's main purpose is listening to the radio and playing MP3 files. Still a
    very fast computer! ;-)

    Cnut, Sep 30, 2007
  16. thanatoid wrote:
    > thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

    I'm sorry!

    --
    Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
    http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

    "Fair use is not merely a nice concept--it is a federal law based on
    free speech rights under the First Amendment and is a cornerstone of the
    creativity and innovation that is a hallmark of this country. Consumer
    rights in the digital age are not frivolous."
    - Maura Corbett

    The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly , Oct 1, 2007
  17. Most of you folks are really some old bastards, aren't you. Commodore,
    damn, didn't they have those on the Enterprise or something. LOL.

    Here is my first computer, thankfully, not my last. This one lasted
    me a couple of years just fine. As others have said about their old
    systems, it still works great and is remarkably fast.

    The funny thing about it, to me anyway, is that quite a few of my
    friends just seemed to have their minds blown when I told them it had
    a computer with a 133MHz processor and a 1.3GB hard drive.

    A few of them even told me that I would never, never, fill up a 1.3GB
    hard drive, it would probably be enough space to last a lifetime and I
    thought so too. How times have changed.

    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/CtrlAltieDel/PackardBell2.jpg

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Oct 2, 2007