    And that, you know, children are the only ones who blush
    And that life is just to die
    - Lou Reed
    thanatoid, Jul 21, 2010

  2. thanatoid

    Buffalo Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >
    > I /am/ impressed.

    It is quite amazing, since I remember that my first HDD was only 120MB and I
    really thought that the 6GB HDD I bought later, would never get filled up.
    Good for you.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Jul 21, 2010

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >>
    >> I /am/ impressed.

    > It is quite amazing, since I remember that my first HDD was
    > only 120MB and I really thought that the 6GB HDD I bought
    > later, would never get filled up. Good for you.
    > Buffalo

    Yes, those were the days, huh? And I BET those under-1GB drives
    STILL work, unlike most drives you can buy today will...

    Oh well, we're just a few years (or less) from all solid-state.
    That will be nice.

    I remember buying a 256MB flash stick for a friend (who [while
    his concept of "computer maintenance" was defragging his single
    C: partition - which took 3-4 hrs and usually ended up with a
    hang-reboot - **every single day**] /was/ USB-aware) about 5
    years ago or so.

    I think it cost me about 5 times what THIS one cost.

    I still think that we are in that uncomfortable stage of "I can
    have 200 DVD's on my HD *BUT* am not yet connected to an "every
    film and TV show ever made, on your screen in 5 seconds for
    $25/month" service, and I definitely think that the principal
    development of the last 10 years has been the *perfection of
    bloat as an art form* (the kind of art that actually makes
    money) but this sure IS a nice and handy device, especially when
    you need some stuff from someone with 4 computers who is unable
    to burn a single CD-R on ANY one of them and is not aware there
    are other programs than the built-in XP "utility".

    Also great for the occasional printing of something huge in
    color at an OfficeMax on a printer which cost more than
    everything in my living room. Although I would /guess/ various
    advantages of USB sticks have been mentioned in the past, so
    I'll just shut up... ;-]

    Cheers.

    --
    You know, that women never really faint
    And that villains always blink their eyes
    thanatoid, Jul 21, 2010
  4. thanatoid

    Buffalo Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >>>
    >>> I /am/ impressed.

    >> It is quite amazing, since I remember that my first HDD was
    >> only 120MB and I really thought that the 6GB HDD I bought
    >> later, would never get filled up. Good for you.
    >> Buffalo

    > Yes, those were the days, huh? And I BET those under-1GB drives
    > STILL work, unlike most drives you can buy today will...
    >
    > Oh well, we're just a few years (or less) from all solid-state.
    > That will be nice.
    >
    > I remember buying a 256MB flash stick for a friend (who [while
    > his concept of "computer maintenance" was defragging his single
    > C: partition - which took 3-4 hrs and usually ended up with a
    > hang-reboot - **every single day**] /was/ USB-aware) about 5
    > years ago or so.
    >
    > I think it cost me about 5 times what THIS one cost.
    >
    > I still think that we are in that uncomfortable stage of "I can
    > have 200 DVD's on my HD *BUT* am not yet connected to an "every
    > film and TV show ever made, on your screen in 5 seconds for
    > $25/month" service, and I definitely think that the principal
    > development of the last 10 years has been the *perfection of
    > bloat as an art form* (the kind of art that actually makes
    > money) but this sure IS a nice and handy device, especially when
    > you need some stuff from someone with 4 computers who is unable
    > to burn a single CD-R on ANY one of them and is not aware there
    > are other programs than the built-in XP "utility".
    >
    > Also great for the occasional printing of something huge in
    > color at an OfficeMax on a printer which cost more than
    > everything in my living room. Although I would /guess/ various
    > advantages of USB sticks have been mentioned in the past, so
    > I'll just shut up... ;-]
    >
    > Cheers.

    :) Well put.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Jul 21, 2010
  5. thanatoid

    Aardvark Guest

    Re: thanatoid cautiously dips his foot into the oily waters of the21st century

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:26:29 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >
    > I /am/ impressed.

    You'll soon be trading in that frock coat and top hat for a zoot-suit,
    then?

    Aardvark, Jul 21, 2010
  6. thanatoid

    Meat Plow Guest

    Re: thanatoid cautiously dips his foot into the oily waters of the21st century

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:26:29 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >
    > I /am/ impressed.

    <stupendous standing ovation>

    Welcome to the 21 century!!!

    Now be sure to part it 22 times and add Lastdrive=Z to your config.sys
    file.
    Meat Plow, Jul 21, 2010
  7. Re: thanatoid cautiously dips his foot into the oily waters of the21st century

    thanatoid wrote:
    > I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >
    > I /am/ impressed.

    Now you can install some linux to it and have a portable OS on a stick.

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 21, 2010
  8. thanatoid

    Jordon Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > I remember buying a 256MB flash stick for a friend

    My first one was 64 megs, for $50.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Jul 21, 2010
  9. thanatoid

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:17:04 -0700, Jordon
    <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote:

    >thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> I remember buying a 256MB flash stick for a friend

    >My first one was 64 megs, for $50.

    The first computer we had other than a commodore 64 came with a 500 MB
    HD.
    joevan, Jul 21, 2010
  10. thanatoid

    Jordon Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > Jordon wrote:
    >> thanatoid wrote:

    >>> I remember buying a 256MB flash stick for a friend

    >> My first one was 64 megs, for $50.

    > The first computer we had other than a commodore 64 came with a 500 MB
    > HD.

    500 megs? That's nothing. Mine had a 40 meg drive, 640k of non-
    upgradable ram (other than adding it in an ISA slot), a 286 CPU
    and when coupled with a standard VGA monitor and a 9 pin impact
    printer, cost me $2200.

    Ok, so who's going to chime in with the abacus story?

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Jul 21, 2010
  11. Jordon wrote:

    > joevan wrote:
    >> Jordon wrote:

    >>> My first one was 64 megs, for $50.

    >> The first computer we had other than a commodore 64 came with a 500 MB
    >> HD.

    > 500 megs? That's nothing. Mine had a 40 meg drive, 640k of non-
    > upgradable ram (other than adding it in an ISA slot), a 286 CPU and
    > when coupled with a standard VGA monitor and a 9 pin impact printer,
    > cost me $2200.
    >
    > Ok, so who's going to chime in with the abacus story?

    "I had an abacus!!!" But srsly, I did have an 8086 with two floppies
    and some small amount of ram. Not long, though, till I boosted the ram
    to the maximum of 640KB. Then, after almost a year, I found a 20MB
    half-height Seagate for a somewhat reasonable cost.

    --
    -bts
    -8086 postceded the TI-99/4A with 16KB of ram <g>
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 21, 2010
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >>
    >> I /am/ impressed.
    >>

    > Now you can install some linux to it and have a portable OS
    > on a stick.

    Duh... You know, just yesterday I was thinking... "I need to do
    something that my STUPID MS OS will not me do on the web... If I
    could only boot into DSL running in RAM - but then I remembered
    I'd have no access to my HD - so dropped it.

    I guess there is a difference between having something and
    remembering you have it.

    THANK YOU. Will install /some Linux/ as soon as thanatoidally
    possible (IOW, who knows when)...

    thanatoid, Jul 21, 2010
  13. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:26:29 +0000, thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >>
    >> I /am/ impressed.

    > <stupendous standing ovation>
    >
    > Welcome to the 21 century!!!
    >
    > Now be sure to part it 22 times and add Lastdrive=Z to your
    > config.sys file.

    You're boring and repetitious. So what else is new.

    thanatoid, Jul 21, 2010
  14. thanatoid

    cully when Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jordon wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:
    >>> The first computer we had other than a commodore 64 came with a 500 MB
    >>> HD.

    >> 500 megs? That's nothing. Mine had a 40 meg drive, 640k of non-
    >> upgradable ram (other than adding it in an ISA slot), a 286 CPU and
    >> when coupled with a standard VGA monitor and a 9 pin impact printer,
    >> cost me $2200.
    >>
    >> Ok, so who's going to chime in with the abacus story?

    > "I had an abacus!!!" But srsly, I did have an 8086 with two floppies
    > and some small amount of ram. Not long, though, till I boosted the ram
    > to the maximum of 640KB. Then, after almost a year, I found a 20MB
    > half-height Seagate for a somewhat reasonable cost.

    Anyone remember the great Morrow Systems PC; well, almost a PC. Zilog
    Z80 with two one sided floppies, 64K and mono CGA monitor for only two
    grand. DOS only. That was before IBM started making PCs and Gates
    hadn't purchased MSDOS for some paltry sum from the guy that wrote it
    (whose initials...MZ...still grace the first three bytes of executables).

    Is that showing age or what?
    cully when, Jul 21, 2010
  15. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    cully when <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > CGA monitor for only two grand. DOS only. That was before
    > IBM started making PCs and Gates hadn't purchased MSDOS for
    > some paltry sum from the guy that wrote it (whose
    > initials...MZ...still grace the first three bytes of
    > executables).

    It was 50 grand, I forget the guy's name but he worked at
    Seattle Computer Works and last I checked, he has been working
    for MS for years and is quite happy with his life.

    STILL...............

    thanatoid, Jul 22, 2010
  16. thanatoid

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:36:16 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:26:29 +0000, thanatoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just bought a 4GB flash stick, my first-ever USB device.
    >>>
    >>> I /am/ impressed.

    >> <stupendous standing ovation>
    >>
    >> Welcome to the 21 century!!!
    >>
    >> Now be sure to part it 22 times and add Lastdrive=Z to your config.sys
    >> file.

    > You're boring and repetitious. So what else is new.

    Since you are boring and repetitious yourself I thought you would have
    embraced my reply with open arms.
    Meat Plow, Jul 22, 2010