    Thanks

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com
    Dave, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Dave

    Kraftee Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Am looking to get rid of my 21" Dell CRT due to eye strain with
    > gameplay and get a 17" TFT, trouble is I dont know too much about
    > them, I have been advised to get one with DV input rather than
    > analogue, main use will be Medal of honour gameplay and video
    > editing.
    >
    > Has anyone got any good recomendations (or bad)
    > I dont want to go over £400
    >
    > Thanks

    If you want to play games you may want to think again as many TFT do
    suffer from 'lag' & pixilation on faster moving images.

    I was in a similar sitaution 6-9 months ago & in the end bought a
    better grade CRT monitor for that reason...

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Dave

    Paul Eden Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Am looking to get rid of my 21" Dell CRT due to eye strain with gameplay

    and
    > get a 17" TFT, trouble is I dont know too much about them, I have been
    > advised to get one with DV input rather than analogue, main use will be
    > Medal of honour gameplay and video editing.
    >
    > Has anyone got any good recomendations (or bad)
    > I dont want to go over £400
    >
    > Thanks

    Dave,
    Presumably your graphics cards has a DV output? Just thought I'd make sure.
    :)
    I went the TFT route about 6 months ago and have never looked back, despite
    buying what was one of the cheapest on the market at the time, I am
    impressed with it's performance. I reclaimed a lot of desk space.
    Do your research and compare specifications.
    I play MOHAA with mine and have never experienced any of the graphical
    problems very early screen showed. The only real downside is the maximum
    resolution. I used to drive my CRT really hard. Depending on application it
    wasn't unusual for it to be 16k x 12k. My GNR F173 only goes to 1280 x 1024,
    but I find I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.
    Hope this helps,

    Paul
    Paul Eden, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Dave

    dave Guest

    Paul,
    how do I know whether my card has DV output, and is it neccessary, (dont
    know much about it) I have a Ge Force Ti4200 128mb ram with agpx8, also my
    CRT resolution is never above 1024x768 as that is good enough for me.

    I have to get one due to eye strain more than anything, also is it the same
    connection to vga card as a CRT, and what make is your GNR F173
    Sorry about the silly questions but I really aint got a clue
    I was looking at this one though on Dabs
    Quicklinx 2HR3WS

    Cheers

    Dave

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    dave, Aug 28, 2003
  5. Dave

    Msfan Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Am looking to get rid of my 21" Dell CRT due to eye strain with gameplay and
    > get a 17" TFT, trouble is I dont know too much about them, I have been
    > advised to get one with DV input rather than analogue, main use will be
    > Medal of honour gameplay and video editing.
    >
    > Has anyone got any good recomendations (or bad)
    > I dont want to go over £400
    >
    > Thanks

    There's just no way in this world you'll find a gaming montor LCD for
    under that much money. They need like less then 16ms response time and
    even then look blurry and stuff when fast moving objects are on them.
    and to get that good of an LCD you have to spend close to like $1000
    bare minimum and even then they have problems. There's not a single LCD
    that is good for gaming like a cRT is. it's just not possible yet in LCD
    technology.
    Msfan, Aug 28, 2003
  6. Dave

    Paul Eden Guest

    http://www.gnrintl.com/

    I can't remember what the DV connector looks like as neither my monitor or
    my graphics card has one. :)

    I will say that I have never, _ever_ seen blurry or pixelated or fragmented
    images on my screen, regardless of application. MOHAA, GTA Vice City and
    Colin Mcrae all run perfectly, even with detail turned down and the screen
    is rushing (can't think of a better word).
    Yes; if your system is capable of developing hundreds of frames a second
    then there may be some issues but the human eye won't see all of them
    anyway.

    Another thing to mention.... looking back to early August's stinky weather,
    I was quite glad of the much lower heat output from my LCD too. It doesn't
    squeal like a CRT either and the glass is truly flat.

    Paul Eden, Aug 28, 2003
  7. Dave

    Hamman Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Am looking to get rid of my 21" Dell CRT due to eye strain with gameplay

    and
    > get a 17" TFT, trouble is I dont know too much about them, I have been
    > advised to get one with DV input rather than analogue, main use will be
    > Medal of honour gameplay and video editing.
    >
    > Has anyone got any good recomendations (or bad)
    > I dont want to go over £400
    >
    > Thanks

    If youre serious about the video editing, you might want to consider 2
    Quality 15" TFT screens.

    Someone said about 'lag' on the TFT screens, i have never seen any, and the
    only pixelation you get is when you run at too low resolution
    Hamman, Aug 28, 2003
  8. Dave

    Conor Guest

    In article <%yj3b.127$>,
    says...
    > Dave wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > Am looking to get rid of my 21" Dell CRT due to eye strain with
    > > gameplay and get a 17" TFT, trouble is I dont know too much about
    > > them, I have been advised to get one with DV input rather than
    > > analogue, main use will be Medal of honour gameplay and video
    > > editing.
    > >
    > > Has anyone got any good recomendations (or bad)
    > > I dont want to go over £400
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > If you want to play games you may want to think again as many TFT do
    > suffer from 'lag' & pixilation on faster moving images.
    >
    > I was in a similar sitaution 6-9 months ago & in the end bought a
    > better grade CRT monitor for that reason...

    But if you'd bought a decent TFT with a 16ms response time...

    --
    ________________________
    Conor Turton

    ICQ:31909763
    ________________________
    Conor, Aug 28, 2003
  9. Dave

    S.Heenan Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Am looking to get rid of my 21" Dell CRT due to eye strain with
    > gameplay and get a 17" TFT, trouble is I dont know too much about
    > them, I have been advised to get one with DV input rather than
    > analogue, main use will be Medal of honour gameplay and video editing.
    >
    > Has anyone got any good recomendations (or bad)
    > I dont want to go over £400
    >
    > Thanks

    The NEC LCD 1760NX is well regarded, even for gaming purposes. It's does
    have a DVI-D input as well. Certainly worth a look.

    --
    Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated
    S.Heenan, Aug 28, 2003
  10. Dave

    BUFF Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Am looking to get rid of my 21" Dell CRT due to eye strain with gameplay

    and
    > get a 17" TFT, trouble is I dont know too much about them, I have been
    > advised to get one with DV input rather than analogue, main use will be
    > Medal of honour gameplay and video editing.
    >
    > Has anyone got any good recomendations (or bad)
    > I dont want to go over £400

    Have a look in this months PC Pro - it has a group test of 17" & 19" TFT's.
    BUFF, Aug 28, 2003