    But there is not a screw in sight anywhere. Surely they are not sealed?
    I know yes I will try the hammer later, but in the meantime, anyone had
    experience with these things?

    howard, Dec 27, 2007

  2. howard

    Mike Easter Guest

    howard wrote:
    > Emprex 19" out of warranty, local repair shop won't touch it for some
    > reason.
    > Problem, simple not powering up.
    > cable and fuse ok, tried on another monitor.
    > I suspect there is an inline fuse in the back of the monitor.
    > But there is not a screw in sight anywhere. Surely they are not
    > sealed? I know yes I will try the hammer later, but in the meantime,
    > anyone had experience with these things?

    I have a couple of 17" emprex, no experience disassembling.

    Emprex has a website and a contact form. Got to the site, find your
    monitor, there are 7 different 19", click it to a page with the specs,
    then click the technical support link to this form
    http://www.emprex.com/04_contact_02.php

    I have a manual, a .pdf which came on CD with my monitor/s which has
    more information than the website on such as powersaving and other data
    and configuration tables.

    Are you saying that if you are plugged in, regardless of video
    connection, that you cannot get any kind of power light if you cycle the
    switch? Which 19" do you have?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 27, 2007

  3. howard

    howard Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > howard wrote:
    >> Emprex 19" out of warranty, local repair shop won't touch it for some
    >> reason.
    >> Problem, simple not powering up.
    >> cable and fuse ok, tried on another monitor.
    >> I suspect there is an inline fuse in the back of the monitor.
    >> But there is not a screw in sight anywhere. Surely they are not
    >> sealed? I know yes I will try the hammer later, but in the meantime,
    >> anyone had experience with these things?

    > I have a couple of 17" emprex, no experience disassembling.
    >
    > Emprex has a website and a contact form. Got to the site, find your
    > monitor, there are 7 different 19", click it to a page with the specs,
    > then click the technical support link to this form
    > http://www.emprex.com/04_contact_02.php
    >
    > I have a manual, a .pdf which came on CD with my monitor/s which has
    > more information than the website on such as powersaving and other data
    > and configuration tables.
    >
    > Are you saying that if you are plugged in, regardless of video
    > connection, that you cannot get any kind of power light if you cycle the
    > switch? Which 19" do you have?

    No power light at all model emprex lm-1905 if that helps

    howard, Dec 27, 2007
  4. howard

    JANA Guest

    Most of the TFT monitors are not supported for after warranty service.
    During warranty, if it is an expensive model, the service rep will change
    the defective module or card. They are serviced at the modular level.

    A common problem with these is the power supply, the lamp ballast, and the
    back plane lamps. With most TFT displays, the back plane lamps are not
    replaceable. They are built as an integral part of the display.

    Sometimes when a power supply unit fails it may be a number of electrolytic
    caps. If you have an ESR meter it is possible to determine the failed ones,
    and then replace them. Some of the caps are surface mount types.

    As for failures in the processor boards, and other areas and types, this
    will not be practical to try and service.

    The reason why no service shop will take on your monitor to service it is
    because they know that there will be no support for it or availability for
    parts and service manuals. The time involved just to have an idea of the
    problem will not be cost effective.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Dec 28, 2007
  5. howard

    howard Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > Most of the TFT monitors are not supported for after warranty service.
    > During warranty, if it is an expensive model, the service rep will change
    > the defective module or card. They are serviced at the modular level.
    >
    > A common problem with these is the power supply, the lamp ballast, and the
    > back plane lamps. With most TFT displays, the back plane lamps are not
    > replaceable. They are built as an integral part of the display.
    >
    > Sometimes when a power supply unit fails it may be a number of electrolytic
    > caps. If you have an ESR meter it is possible to determine the failed ones,
    > and then replace them. Some of the caps are surface mount types.
    >
    > As for failures in the processor boards, and other areas and types, this
    > will not be practical to try and service.
    >
    > The reason why no service shop will take on your monitor to service it is
    > because they know that there will be no support for it or availability for
    > parts and service manuals. The time involved just to have an idea of the
    > problem will not be cost effective.

    Thank you for your help, that explains a lot.
    Cheers

    howard, Dec 28, 2007