    Osama Guest

    Is there any possible way to receive text messages without a cell-phone?
    Through some combination of landline and software perhaps?

    Osama, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Osama

    Whiskers Guest

    <http://uk.ask.com/web?q=sms+email&qsrc=0&o=312&l=dir&dm=all>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 11, 2007

  3. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:20:48 GMT, "Osama" <> wrote:

    >Is there any possible way to receive text messages without a cell-phone?
    >Through some combination of landline and software perhaps?

    My "landline" Philips Zenia can receive text messages. I think many
    modern phones can.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com

    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Osama

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:41:01 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    <> wrote:

    >My "landline" Philips Zenia can receive text messages. I think many
    >modern phones can.

    Really?

    And how do you send it text messages?

    Evan Platt, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Osama

    Osama Guest

    I don't want to "send" SMS messages. I want to be able to receive them.

    I don't see anything on that page that discusses the latter.

    Osama, Aug 11, 2007
  6. Osama wrote:
    > Is there any possible way to receive text messages without a cell-phone?

    Sure. Here's one, for instance.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2007
  7. Osama

    meerkat Guest

    "Osama" <> wrote in message
    >I don't want to "send" SMS messages. I want to be able to receive them.
    >
    > I don't see anything on that page that discusses the latter.

    snipped some

    Here`s one example for you...
    http://www.developershome.com/sms/howToReceiveSMSUsingPC.asp

    meerkat, Aug 11, 2007
  8. Osama

    Kevin Guest

    To: Osama
    Re: Text Messages
    By: Osama to 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Sat Aug 11 2007 18:20:48

    What country do you live in? Most european telecoms have such a device.
    www.bt.com & www.francetelecom.com go to the shop and look at the SMS phones
    > From Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > Is there any possible way to receive text messages without a cell-phone?
    > Through some combination of landline and software perhaps?

    --- ANTI-SPAM: Please remove the .remove-[random]-this to reply via email.
    * FREENET UK - USENET Gateway - http://www.freenet.org.uk/

    Kevin, Aug 11, 2007
  9. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:51:26 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:41:01 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>My "landline" Philips Zenia can receive text messages. I think many
    >>modern phones can.

    >Really?
    >
    >And how do you send it text messages?

    You just phone the number. No special text number is needed. BTW, it
    can also send SMS messages, not just receive them.

    Steve

    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 11, 2007
  10. Osama

    Osama Guest

    I live in Afghanistan. Don't you read the newspapers?

    Osama, Aug 12, 2007
  11. Osama

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:41:01 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    <> wrote:

    >You just phone the number. No special text number is needed. BTW, it
    >can also send SMS messages, not just receive them.

    Funny, I haven't seen any landline phones that receive text messages.
    Maybe I've been looking in the normal section and not the kiddy toy
    phone section?

    Evan Platt, Aug 12, 2007
  12. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:41:01 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>You just phone the number. No special text number is needed. BTW, it
    >>can also send SMS messages, not just receive them.

    > Funny, I haven't seen any landline phones that receive text messages.
    > Maybe I've been looking in the normal section and not the kiddy toy
    > phone section?

    Harf! :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 12, 2007
  13. Osama

    dfrog Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:41:01 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>You just phone the number. No special text number is needed. BTW, it
    >>can also send SMS messages, not just receive them.

    > Funny, I haven't seen any landline phones that receive text messages.
    > Maybe I've been looking in the normal section and not the kiddy toy
    > phone section?

    :)

    http://www.productsandservices.bt.c...roductId=CON-3179&s_cid=con_FURL_bttextbundle

    dfrog

    dfrog, Aug 12, 2007
  14. Osama

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-11, Osama <> wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2007-08-11, Osama <> wrote:
    >>> Is there any possible way to receive text messages without a cell-phone?
    >>> Through some combination of landline and software perhaps?

    >> <http://uk.ask.com/web?q=sms+email&qsrc=0&o=312&l=dir&dm=all>

    > I don't want to "send" SMS messages. I want to be able to receive them.
    >
    > I don't see anything on that page that discusses the latter.

    Try following some of the links and some of the suggestions under 'narrow
    your search'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 12, 2007
  15. Osama

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Aug 12, 2007
  16. On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 07:45:41 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:20:09 +0100, "dfrog" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>:)
    >>
    >>http://www.productsandservices.bt.c...roductId=CON-3179&s_cid=con_FURL_bttextbundle

    >Well.. It's going to be hard to get a BT Text service here in the USA
    >isn't it?

    The OP timestamp was GMT so it appear to have been posted in BT land,
    that's why I replied. Then, he was using hotmail so the timestamp may
    be wrong.

    Anyway, I find it difficult to believe the something so common in
    Europe does not have a USA equivalent. A market gap in he USA!

    Steve

    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 12, 2007
  17. Osama

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:30:05 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    <> wrote:

    >Anyway, I find it difficult to believe the something so common in
    >Europe does not have a USA equivalent. A market gap in he USA!

    Or something us Americans could care less about having. :-D

    Evan Platt, Aug 12, 2007
  18. On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:59:54 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:30:05 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyway, I find it difficult to believe the something so common in
    >>Europe does not have a USA equivalent. A market gap in he USA!

    >Or something us Americans could care less about having. :-D

    You obviously know what all Americans wants :)

    Millions of text messages are sent every day in Europe by both mobile
    and static phone users. It's very big money so I doubt American
    businessmen are ignoring it.

    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 12, 2007