text copying: email to word processor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I have frequent occasion to copy text from emails I receive and to paste
    them into word processor documents (WordPerfect or MS Word). But I cannot
    figure out a fast, simple way to eliminate the line breaks that were part of
    the original email. As a result, my wp document takes up many more pages,
    since lines break in the middle of the alotted space for a line. Example:

    Material created in word processor:

    The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped
    over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick
    brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

    Material copy/pasted from an email:

    The quick brown fox jumped
    over the lazy dog. The quick
    brown fox jumped over the lazy
    dog. The quick brown fox jumped
    over the lazy dog. The quick
    brown fox jumped over the lazy
    dog.

    (I artificially recreated the appearance, of course.)

    I know I can go in and, one by one, delete line breaks. But it seems I must
    be missing some faster, maybe even instant, means of losing the original
    email's format and putting it into the word processor's format. What might
    that means be?

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Jim Beaver

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    >I have frequent occasion to copy text from emails I receive and to paste
    >them into word processor documents (WordPerfect or MS Word). But I cannot
    >figure out a fast, simple way to eliminate the line breaks that were part
    >of the original email. As a result, my wp document takes up many more
    >pages, since lines break in the middle of the alotted space for a line.
    >Example:
    >
    > Material created in word processor:
    >
    > The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped
    > over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The
    > quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    >
    > Material copy/pasted from an email:
    >
    > The quick brown fox jumped
    > over the lazy dog. The quick
    > brown fox jumped over the lazy
    > dog. The quick brown fox jumped
    > over the lazy dog. The quick
    > brown fox jumped over the lazy
    > dog.
    >
    > (I artificially recreated the appearance, of course.)
    >
    > I know I can go in and, one by one, delete line breaks. But it seems I
    > must be missing some faster, maybe even instant, means of losing the
    > original email's format and putting it into the word processor's format.
    > What might that means be?

    Have a look here:
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm

    Or Google for "Remove line breaks from Word"

    WhzzKdd, Jun 4, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd wrote:

    >> The quick brown fox jumped
    >> over the lazy dog. The quick
    >> brown fox jumped over the lazy
    >> dog. The quick brown fox jumped
    >> over the lazy dog. The quick
    >> brown fox jumped over the lazy
    >> dog.

    Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
    ever seen. ;)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Jim Beaver

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >>> The quick brown fox jumped
    >>> over the lazy dog. The quick
    >>> brown fox jumped over the lazy
    >>> dog. The quick brown fox jumped
    >>> over the lazy dog. The quick
    >>> brown fox jumped over the lazy
    >>> dog.

    > Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
    > ever seen. ;)

    Heh! Good point!

    Speaking of points, you didn't jump into the discussion regarding Rôgêr's
    man tits. Sharks don't have that problem?

    WhzzKdd, Jun 5, 2007
  5. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
    >> ever seen. ;)
    >>

    > Heh! Good point!
    >
    > Speaking of points, you didn't jump into the discussion regarding Rôgêr's
    > man tits. Sharks don't have that problem?

    Ever see a shark with tits? Natural ones, I mean.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 5, 2007
  6. Jim Beaver

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
    >>> ever seen. ;)
    >>>

    >> Heh! Good point!
    >>
    >> Speaking of points, you didn't jump into the discussion regarding Rôgêr's
    >> man tits. Sharks don't have that problem?

    > Ever see a shark with tits? Natural ones, I mean.

    Only if they have two legs as well...oh wait - wrong kind of shark <g>

    WhzzKdd, Jun 6, 2007
  7. Jim Beaver

    Mitch Guest

    In article <PL%8i.10766$>, Jim
    Beaver <> wrote:

    > I have frequent occasion to copy text from emails I receive and to paste
    > them into word processor documents (WordPerfect or MS Word). But I cannot
    > figure out a fast, simple way to eliminate the line breaks that were part of
    > the original email.

    > I know I can go in and, one by one, delete line breaks. But it seems I must
    > be missing some faster, maybe even instant, means of losing the original
    > email's format and putting it into the word processor's format. What might
    > that means be?

    A basic logic problem.
    one example of method --

    find and replace all [linebreak,linebreak] with [%%]
    replace all [linebreak] with [space]
    replace all [%%] with linebreak

    Mitch, Jun 12, 2007