Texas suing Sony now, too

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    SO now it's California, New York, Texas. The other states can't be too
    far behind.

    -goro-

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/tc_nm/sony_texas_dc

    HOUSTON (Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott filed a civil
    lawsuit on Monday against Sony BMG Music Entertainment (6758.T) for
    hiding "spyware" software on its compact discs in a bid to thwart music
    copying.

    According to the lawsuit filed in Travis County, several of the
    company's music compact discs require customers to download Sony's
    media players if they want to listen to the CDs on a computer.

    Software included with that media player "remains hidden and active"
    after installation, the Attorney General's office said, and makes users
    vulnerable to security risks and possible identity theft.

    Sony said on its Web site that it had recalled all CDs that were
    installed with its XCP technology designed to prevent illegal music
    copying, Abbott said, but Texas investigators were able to purchase
    several of the CDs at Austin retailers on Sunday.

    Texas is seeking civil penalties of $100,000 per violation of the
    state's Consumer Protection Against Computer Spyware Act, which was
    enacted earlier this year.

    "Sony has engaged in a technological version of cloak and dagger deceit
    against consumers by hiding secret files on their computers," Abbott
    said.

    Sony announced on Friday that customers could exchange CDs that
    contained XCP software for new copies without the spyware, and download
    software designed to fix the security vulnerabilities.

    "While we don't comment on pending litigation we are cooperating fully
    with the attorney general's office," a spokesman said on Monday.

    The CDs, from 52 popular artists, including Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra,
    Louis Armstrong and Celine Dion, prompt a user agreement to appear on
    consumers' computer screens.

    Users are required to accept the agreement in order to play the CDs on
    their computer, and Sony's media player is automatically downloaded to
    their computers with the hidden files.

    Earlier this month, a software virus was detected in a mass email
    designed to exploit the Sony BMG software and wreak havoc on computers.
    The "malware" program enables hackers to access computers by bypassing
    firewall protections.

    Separately, the Electronic Frontier Foundation said it had filed a
    lawsuit in Los Angeles County against Sony BMG to pay for damage caused
    by XCP and SunnComm MediaMax software it used on as many as 24 million
    CDs.

    The XCP software is extremely difficult to remove, EFF said, "often
    leaving reformatting the computer's hard drive as the only solution."

    The MediaMax software also installs files on users' computers even if
    they decline to accept SunnComm's terms in a licensing agreement. That
    software allows the company to track customers' listening habits
    despite denials the company collects such data.
    Goro, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Goro

    Impmon Guest

    On 22 Nov 2005 07:28:37 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >SO now it's California, New York, Texas. The other states can't be too
    >far behind.

    All those ill gotten gain RIAA collected by suing illegal music
    swapper are going to look like pocket changes once USA is done raping
    Sony.

    We fight the high price of music CD by shairing them, we get billed
    for a few grands.

    Sony fights back by slipping spyware to prevent shairing, they get
    billed for a few billions.

    Is there a teapot and kettle in here somewhere?
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
    Impmon, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Goro

    Rich Guest

    More Sony horror:

    Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous
    Following on the November 13 research about Sony's rootkit
    "uninstaller" leaving your computer vulnerable to attacks like
    rebooting it by inserting malicious code in a web-page, Princeton
    researchers Ed Felten and Alex Halderman announces that they have
    discovered far more serious problems with the software and warn
    against installing it at all, promising prompt full disclosure (they
    publis this the next day, along with some instructions for defending
    yourself if you've run the uninstaller)

    Rich, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Goro

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:22:02 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >More Sony horror:
    >
    > Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous

    I nominate Sony for the Darwin Award. It not only shot itself in the
    balls, it took out anyone stupid enough to buy Sony products.

    The world is going to be a better place for having removed a criminal
    organization and stupid people at the same time.

    Maybe we should call it the SuperDarwin Award.

    --

    BOYCOTT SONY!

    SONY IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER!

    HOMELAND SECURITY TOLD SONY TO CEASE AND DESIST!

    YOU DO THE SAME - BOYCOTT SONY!
    Bob, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > More Sony horror:
    >
    > Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous
    > Following on the November 13 research about Sony's rootkit
    > "uninstaller" leaving your computer vulnerable to attacks like
    > rebooting it by inserting malicious code in a web-page, Princeton
    > researchers Ed Felten and Alex Halderman announces that they have
    > discovered far more serious problems with the software and warn
    > against installing it at all, promising prompt full disclosure (they
    > publis this the next day, along with some instructions for defending
    > yourself if you've run the uninstaller)

    This is actually relatively "old" news as even SOny has acknowedged teh
    problems with the "uninstaller" (it's actually an ActiveX control) and
    has removed it from their website. THey are providing (or getting
    ready to provide) a true uninstaller.

    btw, the security hole that teh first uninstaller created is far worse
    than allowing website to reboot your machine; webpages can run ANY
    unsigned code on your computer.

    -goro-
    Goro, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:22:02 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >
    > >More Sony horror:
    > >
    > > Sony's rootkit uninstaller is *really* dangerous

    > I nominate Sony for the Darwin Award. It not only shot itself in the
    > balls, it took out anyone stupid enough to buy Sony products.
    >
    > The world is going to be a better place for having removed a criminal
    > organization and stupid people at the same time.
    >
    > Maybe we should call it the SuperDarwin Award.

    Yes, the amazing thing is that SOny fscked up SO much that even the
    general public is starting to gain awareness about "rootkits".

    (when the story first broke and i tried to explain this to some
    friends, they gave me basicaly a *shrug*. Later, when the media
    started running stories on it, they started asking me about it)

    -goro-
    Goro, Nov 23, 2005
  7. Frankly, after this, I'm surprised anyone would ever buy from Sony again.
    My feeling is simply that they are completely untrustworty. I cannot
    believe that there's not some sort of law against this sort of thing.
    Disgusting, absolutely disgusting and I would not by any Sony product, EVER
    again for ANY price! The best thing the world could do would be to just
    let them fade away and let that event be a lesson to anyone else to NEVER
    try something like that again.

    Tim Scott Mathews, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Goro

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Goro" <> wrote:

    > SO now it's California, New York, Texas. The other states can't be too
    > far behind.
    >
    > -goro-
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/tc_nm/sony_texas_dc

    Death to the Gaystation 3! Nintendo power! :)

    <No, I'm not being sarcastic. I really do hate Sony.>
    Black Locust, Nov 26, 2005