Tex Avery DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bernie Woodham, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. I know that the French have put out a Tex Avery set of DVDs. Anybody know
    of any reason that there is no American release?
    Bernie Woodham, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Bernie Woodham

    Large Farva Guest

    The word is 'hell no'. There are no plans for a USA release.

    But also keep in mind that the French set is highly censored, and many
    cartoons have been left off so you're not missing anything.

    The best thing to have is still a laserdisc to DVD transfer of the old
    laserdisc sets.

    Large Farva, Jan 31, 2005

  3. >From: "Large Farva" >
    >The word is 'hell no'. There are no plans for a USA release.
    >
    >But also keep in mind that the French set is highly censored, and many
    >cartoons have been left off so you're not missing anything.
    >
    >The best thing to have is still a laserdisc to DVD transfer of the old
    >laserdisc sets.

    And where does one find that? Thanks.
    The dapper fello, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Bernie Woodham

    Large Farva Guest

    "The dapper fello" <> wrote in message
    > >From: "Large Farva" >
    >>The word is 'hell no'. There are no plans for a USA release.
    >>
    >>But also keep in mind that the French set is highly censored, and many
    >>cartoons have been left off so you're not missing anything.
    >>
    >>The best thing to have is still a laserdisc to DVD transfer of the old
    >>laserdisc sets.

    > And where does one find that? Thanks.

    They are on Ebay from time to time.
    Large Farva, Feb 1, 2005
  5. Bernie Woodham

    Smiley Guest

    Large Farva wrote:
    > The word is 'hell no'. There are no plans for a USA release.
    >
    > But also keep in mind that the French set is highly censored, and many
    > cartoons have been left off so you're not missing anything.
    >
    > The best thing to have is still a laserdisc to DVD transfer of the old
    > laserdisc sets.
    >

    > "Bernie Woodham" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I know that the French have put out a Tex Avery set of DVDs. Anybody know
    >>of any reason that there is no American release?

    The LaserDisc set was censored too

    :)
    Smiley, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Bernie Woodham

    Large Farva Guest

    "Smiley" <> wrote in message
    > Large Farva wrote:
    >> The word is 'hell no'. There are no plans for a USA release.
    >>
    >> But also keep in mind that the French set is highly censored, and many
    >> cartoons have been left off so you're not missing anything.
    >>
    >> The best thing to have is still a laserdisc to DVD transfer of the old
    >> laserdisc sets.
    >>

    >> "Bernie Woodham" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I know that the French have put out a Tex Avery set of DVDs. Anybody
    >>>know of any reason that there is no American release?
    >>>

    > The LaserDisc set was censored too

    Not really...the two scenes that were cut from the laserdisc are lost
    forever so they are as uncut as you'll ever see them again.

    But the French DVD just leaves off many cartoons entirely!
    Large Farva, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Bernie Woodham

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <Z%qRd.1777$>, "Large
    Farva" <> wrote:

    >>> "Bernie Woodham" <> wrote in message

    >> The LaserDisc set was censored too

    > Not really...the two scenes that were cut from the laserdisc are lost
    > forever so they are as uncut as you'll ever see them again.

    What scenes were those? The Avery LD box is one of my most treasured
    posessions, but even so, I'd like to be aware of any flaws it may have, even
    small ones. Mostly, as a longtime Avery fan, I'm just curious, in a
    semi-scholarly sense.

    G. M. Watson, Feb 19, 2005
  8. Bernie Woodham

    Large Farva Guest

    "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message

    > ----------

    >>> The LaserDisc set was censored too

    >> Not really...the two scenes that were cut from the laserdisc are lost
    >> forever so they are as uncut as you'll ever see them again.
    >>

    > What scenes were those? The Avery LD box is one of my most treasured
    > posessions, but even so, I'd like to be aware of any flaws it may have,
    > even
    > small ones. Mostly, as a longtime Avery fan, I'm just curious, in a
    > semi-scholarly sense.

    The two scenes that are gone are:

    In Deputy Droopy, when Spike is giving the old guy his hat back the bomb
    that was in the hat explodes. In the laserdisc it stops at the bomb blast
    and goes straight to the next scene. Orignially after the blast the old guy
    kept on counting out reward money to Spike, both of them in blackface. He
    didn't even miss a beat...."..ten, twenty, thirty, KA BLAAAAMMM, fourty,
    fifty....

    In Garden Gopher, there is (I think) a scene involving a 'chinese' joke. I
    dont' know much about that one, I just know it's gone.
    Large Farva, Feb 19, 2005