    --
    TIA,
    ChrisR
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNS?=, Dec 13, 2005

  2. > Has anyone successfully passed MS tests without the use of study guides or
    > practice tests? I want to take the exams for the 05 MCDBA, but there are no
    > study guides or practice tests out there for it yet. Has anyone passed tests
    > under these circumstances, passing solely from working knowledge?

    I don't believe that someone has done it.
    Using MS Press and having real lilfe experience is the main point to pass an
    exam, but it's good to get used with the exams' questions, sometimes they are
    kinda confusing.
    =?Utf-8?B?ZmVsaXBlY3B2?=, Dec 13, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNS?=

    Blackmetal Guest

    What happens with practice test, is that they will help you to get used to
    and prepare for the wording or how the questions are developed in an exam
    and what type of answer you are expected to give.

    One important thing is that when using practice tests they will give you
    let's say, computer names, user names, ip addresses, etc, and in the next
    question, you might have it again, and the suggestion is: that information
    has to be disposable in your mind in other words, read it, retain it while
    you answer and then, forget it! because the next question will have
    different data that you will have to deal with.

    And that is what a practice test do in the learning process. So I would
    recommend to get some of them if you can.

    Good luck

    Blackmetal, Dec 13, 2005
  4. I took a beta exam for 70-244 without studying. I also took the 70-271
    without studying it.

    While I use the MSPress books, Sybex, and other books, CBTs, and CTEC
    classes (it's been a while for the MOC classes), I have used the
    Cramsessions, Exam Cram books, and Transcender, Self-Test Software, and
    Preplogic...and admit to it.

    --
    Bob Christian II
    MVP - LCS

    Bob Christian, Dec 14, 2005
  5. > While I use the MSPress books, Sybex, and other books, CBTs, and CTEC
    > classes (it's been a while for the MOC classes), I have used the
    > Cramsessions, Exam Cram books, and Transcender, Self-Test Software, and
    > Preplogic...and admit to it.

    Don't take this bad, but most people say using these testing methods is to
    cheat, what's your point?
    =?Utf-8?B?ZmVsaXBlY3B2?=, Dec 14, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNS?=

    T-Bone Guest

    "felipecpv" <> wrote
    > Don't take this bad, but most people say using these testing methods is to
    > cheat, what's your point?

    Study guides are fine. Practice tests are fine too, provided you only use
    them to evaluate your knowledge and not as a study tool. What is cheating is
    buying the actual test questions or downloading them.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Well, you have to remember that the "No child left behind" act is
    encouraging teachers to teach the test as well as what material they can fit
    in. It would be like holding an MCT's overall rating to whether or not
    their students, vacationing students passed.

    I learn the material and then take the practice tests, and then take the
    test. Some do say that using practice tests is cheating. However, it
    really helps to know the scenarios that they are passing off as "real life"
    in a medium to large sized company. Am I allowed to complain about the
    horrid grammatical errors in the recent exams without violating the
    EULA/NDA?

    If you really want something funny. The FAA publishes their current test
    questions! Seriously! You can buy a book with the questions and answers
    from ASA. Well, at the time I took the written it was a book. Now they
    have DVDs, online tests, etc.

    Granted, just because you can pass the written does not mean you won't smack
    a plane into terra firma without the requisite experience. ...and you HAVE
    to have an instructor sign you off to go and take your written, last I
    remember. The license takes a minumum 35 (Part 141) to 40 hours of flight
    experience. In actuality, it takes most pilots around 60 hours to get their
    Private. Then you have the practical. My three practicals have been with
    military or ex-military pilots that have forgotten more than I will ever
    learn! ...and after that you have currency requirements and flight reviews.

    Bob

    Bob Christian, Dec 14, 2005
  8. Agreed. Some exam designs are a piece of crap. I got some design exams which
    were just a mess, could not drag and drop because things were scrolled!!!

    Regarding the studying method, I also go to books, hands on and then MS
    Press, go over the topics I failed and don't feel confident, make a better
    review and take some simulations to understand how they will ask me questions.
    Most of times it's harder to understand what the question mean or what MS
    wants from you and to hold the required knowledge.

    Great talk here, thanks for sharing your opinion!!!
    =?Utf-8?B?ZmVsaXBlY3B2?=, Dec 14, 2005
  9. Hi Chris,

    I wrote 70-282 without cracking a book on 2 hours of sleep with a fever of
    102.5 while hung over and distracted, and scored an 892 or so... However I
    contend that it is a boneheaded exam that should not qualify for MCP status.
    If you want to try a test that has no material out yet I suggest trying a
    beta exam (if they are out)... They are long, but in the long run you
    contribute to helping your fellow IT Pros!

    Good luck and let us know how it goes!

    Mitch
    --
    MDG, MCSA

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9udHJlYWwgTUNTQQ==?=, Dec 20, 2005