Testing: Streaming MP3 audio feed to VoIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Soruk, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
    "on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.

    To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    sip.eridani.co.uk.

    Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
    might actually be useful.

    This is an experimental service...

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 11, 2009

  2. In article <>,
    Soruk <> wrote:
    >I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
    >"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.
    >
    >To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    >Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    >sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >
    >Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
    >might actually be useful.
    >
    >This is an experimental service...

    Seems to work... Bit of packet loss occasionally though...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Mar 11, 2009

  3. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Soruk <> wrote:
    >>I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
    >>"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.
    >>
    >>To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    >>Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    >>sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >>
    >>Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
    >>might actually be useful.
    >>
    >>This is an experimental service...

    > Seems to work... Bit of packet loss occasionally though...

    It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
    the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.

    (I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 11, 2009
  4. In article <>,
    Soruk <> wrote:
    >On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Soruk <> wrote:
    >>>I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
    >>>"on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.
    >>>
    >>>To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    >>>Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    >>>sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >>>
    >>>Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
    >>>might actually be useful.
    >>>
    >>>This is an experimental service...

    >> Seems to work... Bit of packet loss occasionally though...

    >It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
    >the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.
    >
    >(I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

    Direct SIP call. No PSTN...

    (But I see you're using Demon... They don't seem to have had a lot of
    good press lately, have they?)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Mar 11, 2009
  5. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    >>It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
    >>the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.
    >>
    >>(I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

    > Direct SIP call. No PSTN...

    That would explain why your name appeared in the log. I wondered how you
    did that...

    > (But I see you're using Demon... They don't seem to have had a lot of
    > good press lately, have they?)

    Their mail servers (which I don't use) may go down more often than a
    cheap whore, but for basic connectivity I really can't fault them. Most
    of my downtime the past 6 years has been from power failures my UPS
    couldn't withstand.

    Another possibility is I also have a few websites running on it and it's
    also my mail server. My ADSL sync rate is 2016/448, which *just* gets me
    a 1.75Mbit connection.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 11, 2009
  6. Soruk

    Bodincus Guest

    Soruk wrote:
    > I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
    > "on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.
    >
    > To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    > Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    > sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >
    > Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
    > might actually be useful.
    >
    > This is an experimental service...

    Apart from the occasional packet drop, the quality is barely acceptable.
    I have to struggle to understand what it's being said - although the
    speaker is blabbering away at an astonishing speed to shoehorn all the
    info in the shortest possible time - because of obvious audio artefacts.
    Sure, the multiple encoding/decoding doesn't help.
    Try to get a feed in a format you can pump out without (or with less
    dramatic) re-encoding, it should sound (and perform) way better.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bodincus, Mar 11, 2009
  7. Soruk

    Bodincus Guest

    Soruk wrote:
    > I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
    > "on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.
    >
    > To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    > Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    > sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >
    > Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
    > might actually be useful.
    >
    > This is an experimental service...

    Apart from the occasional packet drop, the quality is barely acceptable.
    I have to struggle to understand what it's being said - although the
    speaker is blabbering away at an astonishing speed to shoehorn all the
    info in the shortest possible time - because of obvious audio artefacts.
    Sure, the multiple encoding/decoding doesn't help.
    Try to get a feed in a format you can pump out without (or with less
    dramatic) re-encoding, it should sound way better.
    Endpoints tend to settle on G729 or G711, and Asterisk is happy to play
    sLiner

    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bodincus, Mar 11, 2009
  8. In article <>,
    Soruk <> wrote:
    >On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    >>>It's hanging off my ADSL line. Also, depending on the route you came in,
    >>>the 01463 number is from Eutelia who are in Italy.
    >>>
    >>>(I already have a Sipgate number as a regular DID for my setup.)

    >> Direct SIP call. No PSTN...

    >That would explain why your name appeared in the log. I wondered how you
    >did that...
    >
    >> (But I see you're using Demon... They don't seem to have had a lot of
    >> good press lately, have they?)

    >Their mail servers (which I don't use) may go down more often than a
    >cheap whore, but for basic connectivity I really can't fault them. Most
    >of my downtime the past 6 years has been from power failures my UPS
    >couldn't withstand.
    >
    >Another possibility is I also have a few websites running on it and it's
    >also my mail server. My ADSL sync rate is 2016/448, which *just* gets me
    >a 1.75Mbit connection.

    It's outgoing (from your end) that's the issue - but you'll need to
    have something there to prioritise outgoung traffic - Drayteks do work
    quite nicely, but they're expensive and I've really gone off Zyxels
    after a client had one blow up on them last week - I really don't know
    of any other router in that price bracket that does effective outbound
    traffic shaping.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Mar 11, 2009
  9. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-11, Bodincus <> wrote:
    > Soruk wrote:
    >> I've been playing around with using a streaming MP3 audio feed as an
    >> "on hold music" source for my Asterisk server.
    >>
    >> To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    >> Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    >> sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >>
    >> Feel free to hammer it. It's a live feed so information you get from it
    >> might actually be useful.
    >>
    >> This is an experimental service...

    > Apart from the occasional packet drop, the quality is barely acceptable.
    > I have to struggle to understand what it's being said - although the
    > speaker is blabbering away at an astonishing speed to shoehorn all the
    > info in the shortest possible time - because of obvious audio artefacts.
    > Sure, the multiple encoding/decoding doesn't help.
    > Try to get a feed in a format you can pump out without (or with less
    > dramatic) re-encoding, it should sound way better.
    > Endpoints tend to settle on G729 or G711, and Asterisk is happy to play
    > sLiner

    Which number did you use? I suspect the Eutelia (01463) number won't be
    that good....

    Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I've switched from the 24kbps 22kHz
    feed to the 48kbps 44.1kHz feed, it certainly sounds better on an
    "internal" call to my switch.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 11, 2009
  10. Soruk

    Bodincus Guest

    Bodincus, Mar 11, 2009
  11. Soruk

    Bodincus Guest

    Bodincus, Mar 11, 2009
  12. Soruk

    Bodincus Guest

    Andy Burns wrote:
    > Bodincus wrote:
    >
    >> Apart from the occasional packet drop

    > and packet duplication ;-)

    Sorry for that, the news server kept refusing my message - apparently -
    but in fact it went through. Ah, the vagaries of the 'net...

    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bodincus, Mar 11, 2009
  13. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-11, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:

    > It's outgoing (from your end) that's the issue - but you'll need to
    > have something there to prioritise outgoung traffic - Drayteks do work
    > quite nicely, but they're expensive and I've really gone off Zyxels
    > after a client had one blow up on them last week - I really don't know
    > of any other router in that price bracket that does effective outbound
    > traffic shaping.

    Possibly related is lately during the day I get unusually high ping
    times to Demon's gateway, even when I'm not running anything else over
    the line - and PlusNet's tools show THBZ (Basingstoke) as being a bit
    overloaded. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about that apart
    from change ISP and hope they don't also suffer from BT's congestion.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 11, 2009
  14. On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:53:52 GMT, Soruk wrote:
    > To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency Traffic
    > Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and extension 699 on
    > sip.eridani.co.uk.

    Connecting directly via SIP worked fine for me...

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

    Christof Meerwald, Mar 11, 2009
  15. Soruk

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Christof Meerwald <> typed, for
    some strange, unexplained reason:
    : On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:53:52 GMT, Soruk wrote:
    : > To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency
    : > Traffic Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and
    : > extension 699 on sip.eridani.co.uk.
    :
    : Connecting directly via SIP worked fine for me...

    Not from here, is there a Sipgate/Gradwell/FWD number..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 11, 2009
  16. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-11, Jono <> wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote on 11/03/2009 :
    >> In news:,
    >> Christof Meerwald <> typed, for
    >> some strange, unexplained reason:
    >>>
    >>> Connecting directly via SIP worked fine for me...

    >> Not from here, is there a Sipgate/Gradwell/FWD number..?
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Nor for me now....just getting silence.

    Should be working again (for now) - for some reason Asterisk insists on
    keeping mpg123 running the whole time, just blocking the audio until a
    call comes in, instead of running mpg123 only when it's actually needed.

    I've made a couple of tweaks, let's see if this helps.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 11, 2009
  17. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-11, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Christof Meerwald <> typed, for
    > some strange, unexplained reason:
    >: On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:53:52 GMT, Soruk wrote:
    >: > To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency
    >: > Traffic Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and
    >: > extension 699 on sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >:
    >: Connecting directly via SIP worked fine for me...
    >
    > Not from here, is there a Sipgate/Gradwell/FWD number..?

    Sorry, no. My Sipgate account is one of my regular DID lines.

    And yes, the stream did die last night for some reason. I've now set it
    to self-terminate if the stream has stalled (rather than block, waiting
    for it to recover) so it should now automatically recover.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 12, 2009
  18. On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:41:38 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >>Another possibility is I also have a few websites running on it and it's
    >>also my mail server. My ADSL sync rate is 2016/448, which *just* gets me
    >>a 1.75Mbit connection.

    >It's outgoing (from your end) that's the issue

    Agreed.
    We use a Demon Business package, and they have 2x the upload speed I
    believe.
    --
    Free personal divertable Phone number: <http://www.bizorg.co.uk/personalnos.htm>

    David Quinton, Mar 12, 2009
  19. In article <>,
    David Quinton <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:41:38 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>>Another possibility is I also have a few websites running on it and it's
    >>>also my mail server. My ADSL sync rate is 2016/448, which *just* gets me
    >>>a 1.75Mbit connection.

    >>It's outgoing (from your end) that's the issue

    >Agreed.
    >We use a Demon Business package, and they have 2x the upload speed I
    >believe.

    I think there's a lot more to it than that, but it's hard to find the time
    to do any real investigations... But As I understand it... Using the BT
    Wholesale network, there are 2 service levels available over it. This is
    like the old 50:1 and 20:1 but a year or 2 back BT changed the metrics,
    instead giving you a minimum guaranteed speed for 90% of the time (or
    something) and the elevated class was given to business users along with
    the higher upload speed (up to 830Kb/sec)

    I'm fairly sure these 2 go hand in hand, but I'd like to hear from anyone
    who knows otherwise.

    So after that the data goes over the BTW network and into the ISPs own
    network. Here it may experience a 2nd level of contention if the ISPs
    own network can't cope with the traffic.

    Then there is the peering points the ISP uses to plumb itself into
    the rest of the Internet - LINX, LoNAP, MaNAP, etc. as well as private
    arrangements with (eg) the BBC and so on.

    I'm relatively sure that the BTW network itself is mostly OK and that
    a lot of the issues happen inside the ISPs own network.

    Eg. I know of one ISP used by a reseller of mine who advertises a business
    quality service, but the upstream speed is still 440Kb/sec. I don't get
    this - if it's a business quality service, then they ought to use the
    elevated service levels over the BTW network and that would imply to
    me that they should get 830Kb/sec upload speed! It suggests to me that
    their own internal network is highly contended and they're basically
    pulling the wool over their customers eyes (& ears in this case!)

    Then there's the LLU operators - I think it's luck of the draw with these
    - if they've not got a fast link from an exchange they have kit in back
    to their own network and that exchange gets busy (eg. The first person
    thinks service is fantastic, tells all their mates in the same town,
    who switch, and then it becomes overloaded) And then you've got their
    own internal network just as above...

    I know that no-one can afford a true one to one contention over the
    Internet, it's just not economically feasible, so it has to be contended,
    but I really wish ISPs were a bit more open with what they tell and sell.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Mar 12, 2009
  20. Soruk

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-03-11, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Christof Meerwald <> typed, for
    > some strange, unexplained reason:
    >: On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:53:52 GMT, Soruk wrote:
    >: > To see how well it holds up I've connected the Highways Agency
    >: > Traffic Radio web feed to 0560 301 5426 and 01463 670042 - and
    >: > extension 699 on sip.eridani.co.uk.
    >:
    >: Connecting directly via SIP worked fine for me...
    >
    > Not from here, is there a Sipgate/Gradwell/FWD number..?

    SipBroker code *8974-699 will now also reach it.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

    Soruk, Mar 12, 2009