    have certain ports closed. How do I test this has been done?

    I have used telnet with hosts, but this is through a series of routers which
    I may maynot have the IP addresses. Any ideas?
    Billy K, May 29, 2004

  2. Billy K

    Bit Tamer Guest

    Take a look at the nmap tool. www.insecure.org Nice and simple port
    scanner.

    Nessus, mentioned in the other post, does port scanning using nmap, along
    with many more security tests.

    Bit Tamer

    "Billy K" <> wrote in message
    > I need a method of testing ports from inside a network. I currently do

    not

    Bit Tamer, May 29, 2004

  3. Billy K

    Billy K Guest

    This isn't a host I am scanning though. What address do I enter to be
    scanned?

    I am trying to find out which ports can leave my network, out to the
    Internet. Example, which programs my users can use to connect outbound.
    Would a port scanner still do the job?

    If this was a host I was checking I would most definately be using a port
    scanner, but I am not sure what I am dealing with as it could be a router,
    proxy or some kind of firewall which I don't know the address. I just need
    to know which ports my users have open to them.

    Billy K, May 29, 2004
  4. Billy K

    Bit Tamer Guest

    Hmmm, you are "instructing the guys to have certain ports closed"...? If you
    have specific ports you want closed, then allow me to read between the lines
    and assume there is some specific activity you don't want happening on the
    network. If you are prohibiting certain activity (outbound connections) then
    why not just attempt to do the prohibited activity yourself and see if it
    works?

    Having said that, however, the topology of your internal network may support
    multiple egress points, so while something may/may not work for you, other
    internal users may get different results. Perhaps what you really need is a
    rigorous change management process to control over the firewall/router
    configs...

    Bit Tamer

    Bit Tamer, May 29, 2004
  5. Billy K

    XC4-886-91-C Guest

    http://www.nessus.org/
    XC4-886-91-C, May 30, 2004
  6. Billy K

    XC4-886-91-C Guest

    Billy K wrote:

    > This isn't a host I am scanning though. What address do I enter to be
    > scanned?
    >
    > I am trying to find out which ports can leave my network, out to the
    > Internet. Example, which programs my users can use to connect outbound.
    > Would a port scanner still do the job?

    No!

    > If this was a host I was checking I would most definately be using a port
    > scanner, but I am not sure what I am dealing with as it could be a router,
    > proxy or some kind of firewall which I don't know the address. I just
    > need to know which ports my users have open to them.

    If you're the network admin than you should know the address. If you're
    worried about spoofing/proxies/etc. than you can catch those packets from
    your network using Dsniff.

    http://monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/

    If you're not the network admin - Keep in mind that dsniff has about a
    hundred in one ways to get you in BAD FREAKING TROUBLE!
    XC4-886-91-C, May 30, 2004