Testing connection speed between two machines over Cisco 2970 switches

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Roy M, May 15, 2006.

  1. Roy M

    Roy M Guest

    My environment has a pair of Cisco 2970 switches (for redundancy), two
    Sun database servers and I have coming a NetApp which will soon be
    hosting my databases and connected to the Sun machines via iScsi. I am
    trying to check the throughput over the switches to make sure that I
    will have the best performance possible once I have the NetApp in place
    since traffic will be pretty heavy between the Suns and the NetApp
    filer.

    I have been using ttcp on the Sun servers and running speed checks back
    and forth between them. I've gotten between 65536.00 KBytes/sec and
    87381.33 KBytes/sec during day time hours (when the devices are used
    the most by our clients). I'm going to run the tests again during
    quiet hours to see what I get then. The Switches are hardcoded to
    1000/full, and the Sun machines are using only one card with failover
    each.

    What i'm trying to find out is if this is 'normal' speed? I want to
    make sure that I don't have any setting issues that are slowing me down
    once I implement the NetApp. Shouldn't I expect to see closer to the
    ~100,000 KB/s Gigabit speed?

    Also there are two trunk ports between the switches in an etherchannel
    so there should be enough bandwidth between the switches.

    Roy M, May 15, 2006