    couple years ago? I notice they both have commentary by David Kalat. Are they
    the same commentary? I'm trying to weigh whether the Criterion is worth the
    purchase since I own the previous one.

    CBoldman, Jul 15, 2004

  2. CBoldman

    Bill Coleman Guest

    Re: Testament of Dr. Mabuse - Criterion vs. Image

    Actually, the main feature is 2 different movies. The Image disc (actually
    from All Day Entertainment, though
    distributed by Image) is the remake from the early sixties. The Criterion
    disc (which is great, by the way) includes a
    very nice, restored version of the 1932 print in original German with
    subtitles. The commentaries by Kalat are different.
    It should also be noted though that the all Day DVD includes, as an extra, a
    badly edited, dubbed print of the original
    1932 film, which apparently is in bad shape (I only have the Criterion disc,
    so I cannot verify this, but that's what I have read).

    Anyway, it would not be a bad thing to have both of them!

    Bill Coleman

    Bill Coleman, Jul 15, 2004

  3. CBoldman

    jayembee Guest

    NSPAM (CBoldman) wrote:

    > How does the new Criterion edition stack up against the
    > Image release of a couple years ago? I notice they both
    > have commentary by David Kalat. Are they the same commentary?
    > I'm trying to weigh whether the Criterion is worth the
    > purchase since I own the previous one.

    Different films.

    There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
    (of film release):

    (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
    released by Image in 2001.

    (2) THE TESTAMENT OF DR MABUSE, the 1932 sequel by Lang, just
    released by Criterion. This release also includes the rare
    alternate French version filmed at the same time as the German
    one.

    (3) THE 1000 EYES OF DR MABUSE, a 1960 film by Lang, released
    by All-Day/Image in 2000 under the banner "The Diabolical
    Cinema of Dr. Mabuse, Volume 1".

    (4) A simultaneously-released "Volume 2" from All-Day/Image
    that included (a) THE CRIMES OF DR MABUSE, which is an
    edited-down, English-dubbed 1952 version of TESTAMENT, and
    (b) a 1962 remake of TESTAMENT by Werner Klingler.

    All three Image releases have commentary by Kalat, so I'm not
    sure which one you're referring to as "the Image release of a
    couple of years ago". In any case, the Criterion release doesn't
    duplicate anything, so it's definitely worth getting.

    What's odd, though, is that Criterion says that their release
    is presented in the (odd) original ratio of 1.19:1, which should
    be "pillar-boxed". On my TV, it fills the screen. I know that
    my set overscans some, but it shouldn't overscan *that* much.

    Does anyone else have this release? If so, is it pillar-boxed?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 15, 2004
  4. CBoldman

    CBoldman Guest

    << NSPAM (CBoldman) wrote:

    > How does the new Criterion edition stack up against the
    > Image release of a couple years ago? I notice they both
    > have commentary by David Kalat. Are they the same commentary?
    > I'm trying to weigh whether the Criterion is worth the
    > purchase since I own the previous one.

    Different films.

    There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
    (of film release): >><BR><BR>

    Thanks to all for the information. I'll place the order.

    CBoldman, Jul 16, 2004
  5. In article <> (Thu, 15 Jul
    2004 15:49:50 -0700), jayembee wrote:

    > (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
    > released by Image in 2001.

    How is the quality on this release?

    > What's odd, though, is that Criterion says that their release
    > is presented in the (odd) original ratio of 1.19:1, which should
    > be "pillar-boxed".
    >
    > Does anyone else have this release? If so, is it pillar-boxed?

    Yes, it's pillar-boxed.

    Hamilcar Barca, Jul 16, 2004
  6. CBoldman

    ML-78 Guest

    jayembee wrote:

    > There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
    > (of film release):
    >
    > (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
    > released by Image in 2001.

    This is available through both Transit and Eureka in a much improved
    version (more complete and new restoration).

    Both companies also released "Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse" (1933),
    using the same materials but different transfers. I don't know how they
    compare to the Criterion release (also based on the same material).

    ML-78

    ML-78, Jul 16, 2004
  7. CBoldman

    Smiley Guest

    ML-78 wrote:
    > jayembee wrote:
    >

    >>There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
    >>(of film release):
    >>
    >>(1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
    >>released by Image in 2001.

    > This is available through both Transit and Eureka in a much improved
    > version (more complete and new restoration).

    A comparison between Region 1 and Region 2 can be found here:

    http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare2/drmabusegambler.htm

    > Both companies also released "Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse" (1933),
    > using the same materials but different transfers. I don't know how they
    > compare to the Criterion release (also based on the same material).

    Comparison here:

    http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscuro/films/testamentm/testmab.html

    > ML-78

    :)

    Smiley, Jul 16, 2004
  8. CBoldman

    jayembee Guest

    Hamilcar Barca <> wrote:

    > jayembee wrote:
    >
    >> (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
    >> released by Image in 2001.

    > How is the quality on this release?

    It won't blow your socks off, but it's probably as good as
    we're likely to see it without a massive restoration effort
    similar to what was done with METROPOLIS.

    >> What's odd, though, is that Criterion says that their release
    >> is presented in the (odd) original ratio of 1.19:1, which
    >> should be "pillar-boxed".
    >>
    >> Does anyone else have this release? If so, is it pillar-boxed?

    > Yes, it's pillar-boxed.

    Hunh. I guess my TV *does* overscan that much.

    Of course, it only *now* occurs to me that I should've played
    it on the laptop with WinDVD to check... :)

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 16, 2004
  9. CBoldman

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 7/16/04 2:37 PM, in article
    , "jayembee"
    <> wrote:

    > Hamilcar Barca <> wrote:
    >
    >> jayembee wrote:
    >>
    >>> (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
    >>> released by Image in 2001.

    >> How is the quality on this release?

    > It won't blow your socks off, but it's probably as good as
    > we're likely to see it without a massive restoration effort
    > similar to what was done with METROPOLIS.

    Slight tangent here...sorry. Which of the Metropolis releases out there are
    actually worth picking up? I've seen or heard of a large number of DVD
    releases of this film.....

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jul 16, 2004
  10. CBoldman

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Video Flyer" <> wrote in message
    > Slight tangent here...sorry. Which of the Metropolis releases out

    there are
    > actually worth picking up? I've seen or heard of a large number of DVD
    > releases of this film.....

    You want the "Restored Authorized Edition" from Kino Video. Don't bother
    with anything else.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 17, 2004
  11. CBoldman

    ML-78 Guest

    Video Flyer wrote:

    > Slight tangent here...sorry. Which of the Metropolis releases out

    there are
    > actually worth picking up? I've seen or heard of a large number of DVD
    > releases of this film.....

    The definitive version is the one by Transit:

    http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008OE34

    It has original German intertitles and optional English subtitles.
    Eureka released a version that's quality-wise just as good but it
    replaces the German intertitles with English ones. Both of these are
    2-disc sets with movie on one disc, extras on the other. Kino also
    released it in nice quality, but it's a PAL-to-NSTC transfer and crams
    both movie and extras on one disc resulting in higher compression, so it
    doesn't have quite the quality of the European releases.

    ML-78

    ML-78, Jul 18, 2004