Test your Local Dnload Speed..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, May 15, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    Woger, May 15, 2009

  2. Woger

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message
    news:p...

    > Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >
    > Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >

    > http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >
    > This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >
    > I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker had
    > no
    > affect, Cable connection.

    only 6348 here
    Craig Sutton, May 15, 2009

  3. Woger

    Party Animal Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >>
    >> Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >>

    >> http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >>

    >> This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >>
    >> I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker
    >> had no
    >> affect, Cable connection.
    >>

    > only 6348 here

    7576, 4474, 8170

    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/speedtest/

    7454, 8442, 7066

    No virus checker :) firewall WRT54GL w tomato 1.23
    Party Animal, May 15, 2009
  4. Woger

    Party Animal Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >
    > Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >

    > http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >
    > This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >
    > I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker had no
    > affect, Cable connection.
    >

    > The DSL TCP test was 100% no changes needed
    >

    > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >

    > Needs Full Java to work.

    The test results from the tvnz site seem quite inconsistent compared
    with other test sites.
    Test + pinch of salt.
    Party Animal, May 15, 2009
  5. Woger

    Squiggle Guest

    Party Animal wrote:
    > Woger wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >>
    >> Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >>

    >> http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >>

    >> This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >>
    >> I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker
    >> had no
    >> affect, Cable connection.
    >>

    >> The DSL TCP test was 100% no changes needed
    >>

    >> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >>

    >> Needs Full Java to work.
    >>

    > The test results from the tvnz site seem quite inconsistent compared
    > with other test sites.
    > Test + pinch of salt.

    Don't use the speedtest.net xnet test server at the moment, its laggy as
    hell. I'm with xnet and i'm getting a 137ms ping to that server, but
    only 67ms to the enternet one in tauranga. Throughput is shite at
    1.3mbits/s here today from all three speedtests i've run
    Squiggle, May 15, 2009
  6. Woger

    Max Burke Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >
    > Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >

    > http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >
    > This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >
    > I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker had no
    > affect, Cable connection.
    >

    > The DSL TCP test was 100% no changes needed
    >

    > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >

    > Needs Full Java to work.

    TEST MODE ON

    Speed test #1 to:
    http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    3453, 2413, 1786

    *appears to be west coast US server.
    (Does TVNZ store their content offshore?)

    [Not good on a 10Mbit down, 2 Mbit up Telstra Clear Cable plan.]

    OK, test with other NZ Test sites.

    Consumer Org speed test
    http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/
    3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    9503, 9402, 9316

    SpeedTest.net
    http://www.speedtest.net/index.php (to US west coast server to match
    TVNZ test)
    3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    8240, 7410, 6540

    NZ DSL
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    10592, 10157, 9003

    XNet
    http://www.xnet.co.nz/speedtest/
    3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    9378, 7968, 6861

    So, you're right. If you want to download *anything* from TVNZ on demand
    you'll get really CRAP download speeds....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, May 15, 2009
  7. Woger

    Max Burke Guest

    Party Animal wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:

    >> "Woger" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >>> Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >>> http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >>> This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >>> I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker
    >>> had no
    >>> affect, Cable connection.

    >> only 6348 here

    > 7576, 4474, 8170

    > http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/speedtest/
    > 7454, 8442, 7066

    Vodafone
    3 tests, with Avast Virus Checker, Comodo Firewall and Proactive
    defense, Windows Defender, and Windows XP firewall on.

    Best to worst: [kbps]
    9848, 9310, 8484

    Found Images
    Max Burke, May 15, 2009
  8. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:31:50 +1200, Max Burke <>
    wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >>
    >> Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >>

    >> http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >>
    >> This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >>
    >> I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker had no
    >> affect, Cable connection.
    >>

    >> The DSL TCP test was 100% no changes needed
    >>

    >> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >>

    >> Needs Full Java to work.
    >>

    >TEST MODE ON
    >
    >Speed test #1 to:
    >http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    >3453, 2413, 1786
    >
    >*appears to be west coast US server.
    >(Does TVNZ store their content offshore?)
    >
    >[Not good on a 10Mbit down, 2 Mbit up Telstra Clear Cable plan.]

    Ondemand do state there are speed Problems with Xtra and Telstra due to were
    the server are located..

    >OK, test with other NZ Test sites.
    >
    >Consumer Org speed test
    >http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/
    >3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    >9503, 9402, 9316
    >

    >SpeedTest.net
    >http://www.speedtest.net/index.php (to US west coast server to match
    >TVNZ test)
    >3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    >8240, 7410, 6540
    >
    >NZ DSL
    >http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    >3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    >10592, 10157, 9003
    >
    >XNet
    >http://www.xnet.co.nz/speedtest/
    >3 tests: Best to worst [in kbps]
    >9378, 7968, 6861
    >

    >So, you're right. If you want to download *anything* from TVNZ on demand
    >you'll get really CRAP download speeds....

    Only if you are on Telstra or Xtra..
    Woger, May 16, 2009
  9. Woger

    Party Animal Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Vodafone
    > 3 tests, with Avast Virus Checker, Comodo Firewall and Proactive
    > defense, Windows Defender, and Windows XP firewall on.
    >
    > Best to worst: [kbps]
    > 9848, 9310, 8484

    I get that at different times of day, but not today.
    There is a marginal difference if I switch off my voip QoS
    Party Animal, May 16, 2009
  10. Woger

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 16 May 2009 02:47:45 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    >Yes good to see if your firewall or Virus checker is loading it down.
    >
    >Mind you using it at a time of day it can make it seem slow
    >

    >http://download.tvnzondemand.co.nz/download/speedtest/popup.html?s=200 MB
    >
    >This is the Speed tool for TVNZ Ondemand dnload test..
    >
    >I am getting 3790 kbps at this time and , firewall and Virus checker had no
    >affect, Cable connection.
    >

    >The DSL TCP test was 100% no changes needed
    >

    >http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >

    >Needs Full Java to work.

    I got 268 on 256k connection.
    Nighthawk, May 16, 2009