    things I should really study and pay huge attention to, trick questions, or
    any of that kinda jazz? Any help would be appreciated! =)

    Chris

    chris, Jul 7, 2003

  2. chris

    Tony Sivori Guest

    chris wrote:
    > Hey I'm new here. heh.
    >
    > I haven't yet finished reading Mike Meyer's exam guide, but i'm quite
    > close, and then, onto the testing. Can anybody give me some pointers or
    > something, things I should really study and pay huge attention to, trick
    > questions, or any of that kinda jazz? Any help would be appreciated! =)
    >
    > Chris

    Make an effort to know all of the material.

    That said, for the hardware test: Know basic cpu types, for instance slot
    one versus slot a. Know the common IRQs and DMA and memory addresses. Know
    the physical ports. Know your cables. Know about static damage and
    protection. Know printer basics and troubleshooting.

    For the OS section: Know the commonly used menus in all the OSes (9x NT and
    2K). Know the control panel and its functions. Know the commonly used DOS
    commands. Know the network basics.

    When you take the test, read each question carefully and slowly, and make
    sure you understand exactly what it is asking.

    Read the official test objectives:
    http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp

    --
    Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori, Jul 9, 2003

  3. chris

    Nick Guest

    > When you take the test, read each question carefully and slowly, and make
    > sure you understand exactly what it is asking.

    Good advice, they love to throw the word "not" into a
    question to try and trick those who read too quickly.

    Try to look for ways to do things that you are not used
    to. They like to ask questions about keyboard
    shortcuts that no one ever actually uses.
    --

    Nick
    A+, MCP

    Nick, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Always choose the correct answer with the least administrative effort.....

    David Brignola, Jul 9, 2003
  5. chris

    Adam Ross Guest

    Hi Chris...
    The best thing to do is to read and make sense of the stuff as you go,
    and go rather slow. It took me almost 2 months before I was comfy taking the
    hardware test, which i passed, first shot.
    Read practice questions very slowly. It's not the answer thats tricky, but
    the question itself and HOW its written. Finally, DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING.
    Safety precautions are a biggie. In fact, a lot of the answers are based on
    the very FIRST thing you do or think of before proceeding. This should help
    you!

    Adam Ross, Jul 14, 2003