    take the test? Just curious...

    Thanks,

    Alex
    Alex, Jul 31, 2007

  2. Alex

    Ashwin Guest

    Hi Alex,

    I have prior experience with VB6 and it took me about 1.5 months full-time
    preparation for 536. I passed on the first attempt. I was attempting to not
    just memorize the content, but to understand it more by programming the
    examples and understanding the meaning of the text content. I used the
    following resources:
    * MS preparation texts
    * MSDN
    * Transcender tests

    The way I went about it was that I went through the book first
    cover-to-cover three times. When I was familiar with the book content, I went
    over the test objectives at the MS site. I made a list of what the book did
    not cover (believe me there is a lot that is not in there). Then I used MSDN
    to learn this. I also did the same with the Transcender tests - whatever I
    did not know from the tests, I used MSDN as source. At the end I had like
    over 100 pages of material that was not covered in the book (536). I also
    used the Understanding .NET book by David Chappell to help me understand the
    meaning of the features in .NET.

    For 528, it took me a smaller amount of time to prepare - perhaps mainly
    because this was more actual programming stuff that you normally deal with
    primarily. You do deal with the stuff in 536, but it is more stuff that "is
    in the background" so-to-speak. One month. And the material in the book was a
    lot more comprehensive, but I had to follow the same basic process as above.
    Once again, I passed the first time.

    Good luck on the tests - I did not appear for 526 yet, so I can't offer any
    suggestions there. If you have any other questions, let me know.

    Ashwin

    Ashwin, Aug 2, 2007

  3. Alex

    Ash Guest

    Ashwin,

    When you say that you studied for 1.5 months full time do you mean that you
    studied for 7+ hours every working day? I'm just about to start studying for
    536 myself but I work full time and I was wondering how long it will take me
    to get through the material.

    Regards

    Ashley
    Ash, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Alex

    Ashwin Guest

    Hi Ashley,

    Yes, that's what I meant by full time. Remember, my background was in VB
    (and I had other OO experience, but not a lot in .NET - only a few months).

    Realize that it doesn't mean that is what it'll take you - I wanted to be at
    a certain level of comfort with the material before taking the exam the first
    time. I waited until I was thoroughly comfortable with it.

    Regards,

    Ashwin

    Ashwin, Aug 7, 2007