Test shots with SIGMA 80-400 f4,5-5,6 EX OS (optical stabilizer)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Old-CAT, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Old-CAT

    Old-CAT Guest

    Look here my first test shots with my new Sigma optics !

    This Sigma lens is their first optic with optical stabilizer !

    AND YES optical stabization works great. hmmm No it works extremelly great
    and SUPER GLASS optics.

    It blows away my Canon 70-200 f4L !

    All shots is shot handhold, and most of them in wind 7-10 m / Sec.

    Judge for your selves

    YES all great ! but i admit focus is slow compared to USM / HSM

    http://www.olsen-web.dk/photo/firstsig/index.html

    Claus Olsen
    Old-CAT, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Old-CAT

    Ryadia Guest

    Old-CAT wrote:
    > Look here my first test shots with my new Sigma optics !
    >
    > This Sigma lens is their first optic with optical stabilizer !
    >
    > AND YES optical stabization works great. hmmm No it works extremelly great
    > and SUPER GLASS optics.
    >
    > It blows away my Canon 70-200 f4L !
    >
    > All shots is shot handhold, and most of them in wind 7-10 m / Sec.
    >
    > Judge for your selves
    >
    > YES all great ! but i admit focus is slow compared to USM / HSM
    >

    > http://www.olsen-web.dk/photo/firstsig/index.html
    >

    > Claus Olsen

    Not trying to blow out your candle Claus ...but.
    None of your shots are totally definitive of the lens's ability (or lack
    of it)to resolve detail. I myself bought a 100~300 f4 Sigma 'APO'lens
    and have some extremely nice photos from it but the thing it doesn't do
    (neither does yours) is provide detailed images in areas of light and
    shade that the Canon 'L' series lenses can.

    I was fortunate enough to be able to compare a Canon 70~200 f2.8 with my
    new Sigma. Same subject, same camera, same time. The Sigma and the Canon
    (with a 1.4 extender) both failed to resolve the detail of the 70~200 by
    itself. This is something of an interesting situation. If the lighting
    is overcast or cloudy the contrast range should be closer to what the
    lens can work with and it should resolve (nearly) as well as a Canon.
    Oddly this is the worst scenario to have.

    When the situation is one of white and deep black with the correct
    contrast range inside those 2 extremes, the Sigma and the extended Canon
    could not capture detail in either the black or the white areas. Take
    off the extender and the detail is resolved. Unfortunately you can't
    'take off' anything from the Sigma because that's all it's got!

    Otherwise, sharpness is good. Sadly the best from Sigma is only about as
    good a consumer lens from Canon or Nikon. For me I simply couldn't
    afford anything else so now I work knowing some of the shots I could
    have gotten are lost. Hopefully, you will have better results in Europe
    than the sun drenched Australia I live in.

    Ryadia
    Ryadia, Oct 12, 2004