  1. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    PC just rebuilt - test posting to see if it works?

    Ian Field, Mar 28, 2005

  2. Ian Field

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:16:07 GMT, "Ian Field" <> wrote:

    >PC just rebuilt - test posting to see if it works?

    In future, please do it in test groups created specifically for the purpose,
    such as alt.test, please.

    "That's what they're for."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Ian Field

    doS Guest

    You use twice the bandwidth as he did...

    <bitch shit snipped>

    doS, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    Whatever! - I posted, it printed (job done).

    Ian Field, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Ian Field

    cluedweasel Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:00:05 GMT, "Ian Field"
    <> wrote:

    >Whatever! - I posted, it printed (job done).

    With what looks like your own e-mail address too. Lucky you!

    cluedweasel, Mar 28, 2005
  6. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    That email bounces - its so overwhelmed with junk mail I haven't bothered
    downloading it for over a year.

    Ian Field, Mar 28, 2005
  7. Ian Field

    Old Gringo Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:16:07 GMT, "Ian Field" <> wrote:
    >

    >>PC just rebuilt - test posting to see if it works?

    > In future, please do it in test groups created specifically for the purpose,
    > such as alt.test, please.
    >
    > "That's what they're for."

    If I want to send a test email to Aunt Mary in Idaho, will sending
    the test email to Aunt Ruth in Michigan let me know if I am getting
    through to Aunt Mary?

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Mar 28, 2005
  8. Ian Field

    doS Guest

    No, But Aunt Mary says to not forget the half gallon of milk again......

    doS, Mar 28, 2005
  9. Ian Field

    Old Gringo Guest

    doS wrote:
    > No, But Aunt Mary says to not forget the half gallon of milk again......
    >
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mara wrote:

    >>>In future, please do it in test groups created specifically for the
    >>>purpose,
    >>>such as alt.test, please.
    >>>
    >>>"That's what they're for."
    >>>

    >>If I want to send a test email to Aunt Mary in Idaho, will sending the
    >>test email to Aunt Ruth in Michigan let me know if I am getting through to
    >>Aunt Mary?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>Magic Weaver Of Life
    >>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

    LOL I'm going to wait till I get to Boise to pick it up.

    Old Gringo, Mar 28, 2005
  10. Ian Field

    Ian Field Guest

    Ok - it works - what more does anyone want?!!!!!

    PS My new email accounts reject username/password - there must be something
    really obvious I'm missing - before I phone NTL's very expensive premium
    rate tech-support line?

    Ian Field, Mar 28, 2005
  11. Ian Field

    trout Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > Mara wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:16:07 GMT, "Ian Field"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> PC just rebuilt - test posting to see if it works?

    >> In future, please do it in test groups created specifically for the
    >> purpose, such as alt.test, please.
    >>
    >> "That's what they're for."
    >>

    > If I want to send a test email to Aunt Mary in Idaho, will sending
    > the test email to Aunt Ruth in Michigan let me know if I am getting
    > through to Aunt Mary?

    Email is not Usenet. Am I not sure that my phone works until I call
    you?
    --
    Bad analogy in support of an annoying habit.

    trout, Mar 28, 2005
  12. Ian Field

    trout Guest

    doS wrote:

    > You use twice the bandwidth as he did...

    Who said anything about bandwidth, doLt?
    --
    Who hit *your* 'troll-on' switch?

    trout, Mar 28, 2005
  13. Ian Field

    Old Gringo Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >

    >>Mara wrote:

    >>>In future, please do it in test groups created specifically for the
    >>>purpose, such as alt.test, please.
    >>>
    >>>"That's what they're for."
    >>>

    >>If I want to send a test email to Aunt Mary in Idaho, will sending
    >>the test email to Aunt Ruth in Michigan let me know if I am getting
    >>through to Aunt Mary?

    > Email is not Usenet. Am I not sure that my phone works until I call
    > you?

    By golly I believe you almost got it, but on the other hand maybe you
    don't. If you try to call me on the phone and can not get through,
    how do we determine whose phone is not working?

    Old Gringo, Mar 28, 2005
  14. Ian Field

    trout Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>> If I want to send a test email to Aunt Mary in Idaho, will sending
    >>> the test email to Aunt Ruth in Michigan let me know if I am getting
    >>> through to Aunt Mary?

    >> Email is not Usenet. Am I not sure that my phone works until I
    >> call you?

    > By golly I believe you almost got it, but on the other hand maybe you
    > don't. If you try to call me on the phone and can not get through,
    > how do we determine whose phone is not working?

    *Then* I'd call someone else. You know, because the *test* didn't
    work. And I would be unlikely to begin at the front of the phonebook.
    --
    I might even try a Usenet support group; because I'd *then* have a
    question.

    trout, Mar 28, 2005
  15. Ian Field

    Old Gringo Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >

    >>trout wrote:

    >>> Email is not Usenet. Am I not sure that my phone works until I
    >>>call you?

    >>By golly I believe you almost got it, but on the other hand maybe you
    >>don't. If you try to call me on the phone and can not get through,
    >>how do we determine whose phone is not working?

    > *Then* I'd call someone else. You know, because the *test* didn't
    > work. And I would be unlikely to begin at the front of the phonebook.

    Why would you want to call someone else that I know. If they lived
    near me it's quite possible that their phone will not be working also.
    PS: CANADA: World famous for being just north of the United States.

    Old Gringo, Mar 28, 2005
  16. Ian Field

    trout Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>> By golly I believe you almost got it, but on the other hand maybe
    >>> you don't. If you try to call me on the phone and can not get
    >>> through, how do we determine whose phone is not working?

    >> *Then* I'd call someone else. You know, because the *test* didn't
    >> work. And I would be unlikely to begin at the front of the phonebook.

    > Why would you want to call someone else that I know. If they lived
    > near me it's quite possible that their phone will not be working also.
    > PS: CANADA: World famous for being just north of the United States.

    Calling someone else that *you* know? So, following your analogy, a
    test post might be in a group too 'near by' 24hoursupport.helpdesk, so,
    *just in case* it didn't work, he couldn't be sure that he could post
    'here'. And of course, have to undergo all that anxiety, waiting to see
    if a test posted, and if not; the untold seconds of doubt and fear,
    wondering if he *could* post 'here', either. Impeccable logic.
    --
    USA: Gateway to Mexico.

    trout, Mar 28, 2005
  17. Ian Field

    Old Gringo Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >

    >>trout wrote:

    >>> *Then* I'd call someone else. You know, because the *test* didn't
    >>>work. And I would be unlikely to begin at the front of the phonebook.

    >>Why would you want to call someone else that I know. If they lived
    >>near me it's quite possible that their phone will not be working also.
    >>PS: CANADA: World famous for being just north of the United States.

    > Calling someone else that *you* know? So, following your analogy, a
    > test post might be in a group too 'near by' 24hoursupport.helpdesk, so,
    > *just in case* it didn't work, he couldn't be sure that he could post
    > 'here'. And of course, have to undergo all that anxiety, waiting to see
    > if a test posted, and if not; the untold seconds of doubt and fear,
    > wondering if he *could* post 'here', either. Impeccable logic.

    Thats it !!!.

    USA: Largest Refugee Camp In The World.

    Old Gringo, Mar 28, 2005
  18. Ian Field

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:34:57 GMT, "trout" <> wrote:

    >Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> Mara wrote:

    >>> In future, please do it in test groups created specifically for the
    >>> purpose, such as alt.test, please.
    >>>
    >>> "That's what they're for."
    >>>

    >> If I want to send a test email to Aunt Mary in Idaho, will sending
    >> the test email to Aunt Ruth in Michigan let me know if I am getting
    >> through to Aunt Mary?

    > Email is not Usenet. Am I not sure that my phone works until I call
    >you?

    Thank you. I don't see Old Gringo's posts, so had no idea he was whining about
    Usenet newbies being taught the correct thing to do.

    "I see I didn't miss anything."

    Mara, Mar 28, 2005
  19. Mara wrote:

    > Thank you. I don't see Old Gringo's posts, so had no idea he was whining about
    > Usenet newbies being taught the correct thing to do.
    >
    > "I see I didn't miss anything."

    This group is much more navigable when the trolls and troll feeders
    never even show up. As I've posted before, I use several machines
    depending on where I am. It's very obvious when I'm on one that's not
    had the kill filters updated lately.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 28, 2005
  20. Ian Field

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:05:07 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you. I don't see Old Gringo's posts, so had no idea he was whining about
    >> Usenet newbies being taught the correct thing to do.
    >>
    >> "I see I didn't miss anything."

    >This group is much more navigable when the trolls and troll feeders
    >never even show up. As I've posted before, I use several machines
    >depending on where I am. It's very obvious when I'm on one that's not
    >had the kill filters updated lately.

    I know the feeling. :(

    The sad part is that I can remember, long ago, when the group wasn't like this.
    I'd come on and read, post, and bin maybe one or two trolls a week, sometimes
    less. But back in those days troll-enabling wasn't the problem it is today;
    trolls didn't stay long then because posters avoided them like the plague they
    are. Now, it's a rare day when I don't end up killfiling more in a day than I
    used to in a month, and most of them *aren't* genuine trolls, but enablers.

    If ever there was a case for troll-enablers turning out to be as bad as the
    trolls themselves are, it's in this thread. Only those who are terminally
    clueless, stupid, or malicious would think it a bad thing for a newbie to be
    taught the *right* way to do things on usenet, or, once taught, would still
    refuse to do the right thing. Stupid is what stupid posts. And it's that same
    stupidity that drives them to fawn over and lick the troll's butts and pee all
    over each other.

    They encourage the trolls to fill the pool with piss, then dive in headfirst.
    And the posts like the ones in this thread are the result.

    "No wonder they stink up the joint."

    Mara, Mar 28, 2005