Test of Superzoom P&S's on Dpreview. (sad)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Jan 16, 2009

  2. Rich

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    >
    > "Highlights to the left of me, shadows to the right."
    > "Into the test of death rode the 6."
    >
    > With equally hilarious yet tragic results.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

    More histrionics from Rich.. may I summarise his attitude with the
    following..

    We LF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful MF cameras.
    We MF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful FF DSLR cameras.
    We FF DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful APS-C DSLR
    cameras.
    We APS-C DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful 4/3 DSLR
    cameras.
    We 4/3 DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful Superzoom
    cameras.
    We Superzoom users laugh at your ...

    Do ya get it Rich? Or do you go to events and start laughing
    hysterically when you see someone using a compact?

    How could they *possibly* think that will meet their needs? You tell
    'em, Rich.

    Mark Thomas, Jan 16, 2009

  3. Rich

    bowzer Guest

    "Mark Thomas" <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote in message
    > Rich wrote:
    >> Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    >>
    >> "Highlights to the left of me, shadows to the right."
    >> "Into the test of death rode the 6."
    >>
    >> With equally hilarious yet tragic results.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

    > More histrionics from Rich.. may I summarise his attitude with the
    > following..
    >
    > We LF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful MF cameras.
    > We MF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful FF DSLR cameras.
    > We FF DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful APS-C DSLR
    > cameras.
    > We APS-C DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful 4/3 DSLR
    > cameras.
    > We 4/3 DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful Superzoom
    > cameras.
    > We Superzoom users laugh at your ...
    >

    > Do ya get it Rich? Or do you go to events and start laughing hysterically
    > when you see someone using a compact?
    >
    > How could they *possibly* think that will meet their needs? You tell 'em,
    > Rich.

    Hey, isn't your post just a rip off of that old "for the want of a nail"
    rhyme?

    "For the want of a nail, a shoe was lost.
    For the want of a shoe, a horse was lost.
    For the want of a horse, a King was lost.
    For the want of a King, a battle was lost.
    For the want of a battle, a Kingdom was lost.
    All for the want of a rusty nail."

    Anyway, it went something like that. BTW, right now I'm in the DLSR
    category, and laugh at everything below it on the food chain, including my
    Panasonic FX01. Next month, I'll upgrade to a 5DII, and then I can laugh at
    the 5D users, even though most of them can still produce better shots than
    me. All for the want of a little cash.

    bowzer, Jan 16, 2009
  4. Rich

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:43:58 -0500, bowzer put down his Drambuie®
    and wrote:

    > Hey, isn't your post just a rip off of that old "for the want of a nail"
    > rhyme?
    >
    > "For the want of a nail, a shoe was lost.
    > For the want of a shoe, a horse was lost.
    > For the want of a horse, a King was lost.
    > For the want of a King, a battle was lost.
    > For the want of a battle, a Kingdom was lost.
    > All for the want of a rusty nail."
    >
    > Anyway, it went something like that. BTW, right now I'm in the DLSR
    > category, and laugh at everything below it on the food chain, including my
    > Panasonic FX01. Next month, I'll upgrade to a 5DII, and then I can laugh at
    > the 5D users, even though most of them can still produce better shots than
    > me. All for the want of a little cash.

    You'd have been able to afford an EOS-1Ds Mark III, a D3 and even
    a D3x if you hadn't been such a wild and irresponsible youth,
    downing so many of those rusty nails.

    ASAAR, Jan 16, 2009
  5. Rich

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    >
    > "Highlights to the left of me, shadows to the right."
    > "Into the test of death rode the 6."
    >
    > With equally hilarious yet tragic results.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

    What the hell are you referring to, the sample shot or the pics of the
    cameras.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 16, 2009
  6. Rich

    SMS Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    >
    > "Highlights to the left of me, shadows to the right."
    > "Into the test of death rode the 6."
    >
    > With equally hilarious yet tragic results.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

    Well the conclusions said it all, these are cameras to use when you
    don't want to take along an SLR. For someone that only wants to spend
    $350 or so, and never have to buy lenses, and that doesn't care all that
    much about image quality, AF speed, or low light performance, these are
    good deals.

    SMS, Jan 16, 2009
  7. Re: Test of Superzoom P&S's on Dpreview. (very helpful)

    SMS wrote:
    > Rich wrote:

    []
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

    > Well the conclusions said it all, these are cameras to use when you
    > don't want to take along an SLR. For someone that only wants to spend
    > $350 or so, and never have to buy lenses, and that doesn't care all
    > that much about image quality, AF speed, or low light performance,
    > these are good deals.

    Indeed, a most helpful comparison of today's state of the art in
    superzooms - and not a bad one to boot! Thanks to Rich for pointing it
    out.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 16, 2009
  8. Rich

    bowzer Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:43:58 -0500, bowzer put down his Drambuie®
    > and wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, isn't your post just a rip off of that old "for the want of a nail"
    >> rhyme?
    >>
    >> "For the want of a nail, a shoe was lost.
    >> For the want of a shoe, a horse was lost.
    >> For the want of a horse, a King was lost.
    >> For the want of a King, a battle was lost.
    >> For the want of a battle, a Kingdom was lost.
    >> All for the want of a rusty nail."
    >>
    >> Anyway, it went something like that. BTW, right now I'm in the DLSR
    >> category, and laugh at everything below it on the food chain, including
    >> my
    >> Panasonic FX01. Next month, I'll upgrade to a 5DII, and then I can laugh
    >> at
    >> the 5D users, even though most of them can still produce better shots
    >> than
    >> me. All for the want of a little cash.

    > You'd have been able to afford an EOS-1Ds Mark III, a D3 and even
    > a D3x if you hadn't been such a wild and irresponsible youth,
    > downing so many of those rusty nails.

    Hey, is that stuff any good? I spent so much time drinking beer and whiskey
    I never got around to swilling Rusty Nail. Now I'm more into cognac.

    bowzer, Jan 16, 2009
  9. Rich

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:57:08 -0500, bowzer wrote:

    >> You'd have been able to afford an EOS-1Ds Mark III, a D3 and even
    >> a D3x if you hadn't been such a wild and irresponsible youth,
    >> downing so many of those rusty nails.

    > Hey, is that stuff any good? I spent so much time drinking beer and whiskey
    > I never got around to swilling Rusty Nail. Now I'm more into cognac.

    How would I know? They need to be served in the right setting and
    it's been many years since I gave my manservant the boot. These
    days all I can manage is the occasional six-pack of Iron City. If'n
    any quick picks hit, Southern Comfort does me in right nice. <burp>

    ASAAR, Jan 16, 2009
  10. Rich

    measekite Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:12:10 -0800, SMS wrote:

    > Rich wrote:
    >> Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    >>
    >> "Highlights to the left of me, shadows to the right."
    >> "Into the test of death rode the 6."
    >>
    >> With equally hilarious yet tragic results.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

    > Well the conclusions said it all, these are cameras to use when you
    > don't want to take along an SLR. For someone that only wants to spend
    > $350 or so, and never have to buy lenses, and that doesn't care all that
    > much about image quality, AF speed, or low light performance, these are
    > good deals.

    The cameras are great when:

    You want light weight
    Long Zoom Range
    You are going to shoot under ISO 200 but most at ISO 100
    Want convenience
    Want to spend less
    Will not print more than about 8x10 or so

    You can get a real nice, sharp and colorful 8x10 from these cameras.

    measekite, Jan 17, 2009
  11. Rich

    measekite Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:44:38 -0600, Rich wrote:

    > SMS <> wrote in news:sR5cl.13865$YU2.7291
    > @nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    >>>
    >>> "Highlights to the left of me, shadows to the right."
    >>> "Into the test of death rode the 6."
    >>>
    >>> With equally hilarious yet tragic results.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/

    >> Well the conclusions said it all, these are cameras to use when you
    >> don't want to take along an SLR. For someone that only wants to spend
    >> $350 or so, and never have to buy lenses, and that doesn't care all that
    >> much about image quality, AF speed, or low light performance, these are
    >> good deals.
    >>

    > Their only claim to fame is a long zoom. Everything else about them
    > stinks. Anyone who buys one instead of a small, entry-level DSLR is making
    > a mistake. Why? Because the claim of portability is gone. They are not
    > pocketable cameras and that is a P&S's only real attribute.

    They are much smaller and lighter and more convenient than any DSLR on the
    market even the 4:3 system and they can produce a nice sharp 8x10.

    measekite, Jan 17, 2009
  12. Rich

    Guest

    On Jan 17, 11:02 am, Val Hallah <> wrote:
    > On Jan 16, 11:42 pm, Rich <> wrote:
    >

    > > Dave Cohen <> wrote in news:gkqo10$4jd$1
    > > @news.motzarella.org:

    > > > What the hell are you referring to, the sample shot or the pics of the
    > > > cameras.
    > > > Dave Cohen

    > > Test shots.

    > these look fine....
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/34311515@N06/

    I just like to comment that there must be a great number of people who
    enjoy the super-zoom cameras. Otherwise, the major camera
    manufacturers will not introduce this type of cameras. I DK why some
    people does not like the idea of this camera being a P&S. I think it
    is a convenient, and the picture quality is acceptable for most of
    buyers (who are probably not targeted to be professionals). Just think
    it as a DSLR camera with a separate zoom lens covering 28mm-600mm. As
    long as you use it outside with low ISO and bright lights, most can
    produce good pictures. By the way, I do have a Lumix FZ18, and I like
    it as much as my Canon G7.

    , Jan 18, 2009
  13. Rich

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:04:03 +1000, Mark Thomas
    : Rich wrote:
    : > Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    : >
    :
    : More histrionics from Rich.. may I summarise his attitude with the
    : following..
    :
    : We LF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful MF cameras.
    : We MF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful FF DSLR cameras.
    : We FF DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful APS-C DSLR
    : cameras.
    : We APS-C DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful 4/3 DSLR
    : cameras.
    : We 4/3 DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful Superzoom
    : cameras.
    : We Superzoom users laugh at your ...

    .... heavy, cumbersome, superannuated LF cameras.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 24, 2009
  14. Rich

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:04:03 +1000, Mark Thomas
    > <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote:
    > : Rich wrote:
    > : > Otherwise known as "The march of the blown highlight brigade."
    > : >
    > : > "Highlights to the left of me, shadows to the right."
    > : > "Into the test of death rode the 6."
    > : >
    > : > With equally hilarious yet tragic results.
    > : >
    > : > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/
    > :
    > : More histrionics from Rich.. may I summarise his attitude with the
    > : following..
    > :
    > : We LF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful MF cameras.
    > : We MF users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful FF DSLR cameras.
    > : We FF DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful APS-C DSLR
    > : cameras.
    > : We APS-C DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful 4/3 DSLR
    > : cameras.
    > : We 4/3 DSLR users laugh at your hilarious, tragic, pitiful Superzoom
    > : cameras.
    > : We Superzoom users laugh at your ...
    >
    > ... heavy, cumbersome, superannuated LF cameras.
    >
    > Bob

    Yes.

    It's the "Circle of Life".

    Mark Thomas, Jan 24, 2009