  1. Test

    Test Guest

    Test. Please ignore.

    Test, Jul 23, 2008

  2. Test

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:eek:,
    Andy Burns <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : On 23/07/2008 08:54, Test wrote:
    :
    : > Test. Please ignore.
    :
    : Use a proper test group!

    Sigh.. this one's been done before. There are valid reasons for posting
    test messages to normal groups. Test groups don't always test what needs
    testing.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 24, 2008

  3. Test

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : Desk Rabbit was thinking very hard :
    : > Ivor Jones wrote:
    : >> In news:eek:,
    : >> Andy Burns <> typed, for some
    : >> strange, unexplained reason:
    : >> : On 23/07/2008 08:54, Test wrote:
    : >> :
    : >> : > Test. Please ignore.
    : >> :
    : >> : Use a proper test group!
    : >>
    : >> Sigh.. this one's been done before. There are valid reasons for
    : >> posting test messages to normal groups. Test groups don't always
    : >> test what needs testing.
    : >
    : > Go on, I'll bite, why would a test message to a test group not be
    : > sufficient to test that you can read & post?

    Ok, no need to bite, I get enough of that from the cats ;-)

    The reason is simple - a post to a test group merely shows that the sender
    is able to post to that test group, it doesn't necessarily follow that
    he/she will be able to post to any other group. True, it's unlikely that
    this will be the case, but it is possible.

    I had a problem a couple of years ago where postings to some of the groups
    to which I subscribe were getting through ok, but those to others weren't.
    I never did manage to get to the root of the problem, but it disappeared
    when I changed routers. Work that one out if you can..!

    : ...and why can't a test message be disguised as a vaguely on-topic
    : post..?

    There I'll agree. But test groups serve only to indicate you can post to
    test groups.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 25, 2008