    Scratch.
    Any other ways to tackle this without buying excess hardware or software?
    Thanks!
    =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=, Mar 12, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=

    JaR Guest

    "Old School" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am trying to think of a way to make a test lab.
    > My goal is to use 1 laptop and 1 server.
    > Since this is only a test lab, I plan to use evaluation copies of Windows
    > Server 2003, SBS 2003, and XP on the laptop.
    > I plan to use MS Virtual Server and run 3 virtual machines…2- 2003 Server
    > Virtual Machines and 1 SBS Virtual Machine with the Main OS on the Server
    > running 2003 Server.
    > My dilema is I need to find a way to reconfigure the machines and the eval
    > runs so I donot keep having to rebuild the machines and reconfigure from
    > Scratch.
    > Any other ways to tackle this without buying excess hardware or software?
    > Thanks!

    If you get VMWare's free server software, you can use its "Snapshot"
    function to store as many images as you want, then, when you FUBAR a virtual
    machine, you can simply revert to a previous snapshot. You can also clone as
    many machines as you desire. (Or have memory to handle)

    --
    JaR
    Suffering Fools Gladly
    JaR, Mar 12, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=

    kpg Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in

    > "Old School" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> I am trying to think of a way to make a test lab.
    >> My goal is to use 1 laptop and 1 server.
    >> Since this is only a test lab, I plan to use evaluation copies of
    >> Windows Server 2003, SBS 2003, and XP on the laptop.
    >> I plan to use MS Virtual Server and run 3 virtual machines…2- 2003
    >> Server Virtual Machines and 1 SBS Virtual Machine with the Main OS on
    >> the Server running 2003 Server.
    >> My dilema is I need to find a way to reconfigure the machines and the
    >> eval runs so I donot keep having to rebuild the machines and
    >> reconfigure from Scratch.
    >> Any other ways to tackle this without buying excess hardware or
    >> software? Thanks!

    > If you get VMWare's free server software, you can use its "Snapshot"
    > function to store as many images as you want, then, when you FUBAR a
    > virtual machine, you can simply revert to a previous snapshot. You can
    > also clone as many machines as you desire. (Or have memory to handle)

    ....and with MS virtual Server each machine is saved as a virtual hard
    drive (*.vhd) and an xml config file - back up these files and restore
    whenever.
    kpg, Mar 12, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >If you get VMWare's free server software, you can use its "Snapshot"
    >function to store as many images as you want, then, when you FUBAR a virtual
    >machine, you can simply revert to a previous snapshot. You can also clone as
    >many machines as you desire. (Or have memory to handle)

    does it make a good espresso though?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, Mar 12, 2007
  5. That might just work....at least for the 160 days trial period.
    So that would equate to the *.vmc file and the *.vhd file....I'm thinking
    the virtual disk...*.vhd may be needed as well?
    Thanks alot!

    =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=, Mar 12, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >That might just work....at least for the 160 days trial period.

    quick! back to bat cave.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, Mar 12, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=

    JaR Guest

    "Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message
    > >If you get VMWare's free server software, you can use its "Snapshot"
    >>function to store as many images as you want, then, when you FUBAR a
    >>virtual
    >>machine, you can simply revert to a previous snapshot. You can also clone
    >>as
    >>many machines as you desire. (Or have memory to handle)

    > does it make a good espresso though?

    No, you have to get the pay version for espresso. The free version doesn't
    swallow, either.

    --
    JaR
    Suffering Fools Gladly
    JaR, Mar 12, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >No, you have to get the pay version for espresso. The free version doesn't
    >swallow, either.

    :-O

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, Mar 12, 2007
  9. You just lost the sale, there.

    I wanted the espresso with the free version! :)

    --
    Dustin Harper

    http://www.vistarip.com

    Dustin Harper, Mar 12, 2007
  10. "Old School" <> wrote in message

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am trying to think of a way to make a test lab.
    > My goal is to use 1 laptop and 1 server.
    > Since this is only a test lab, I plan to use evaluation copies of Windows
    > Server 2003, SBS 2003, and XP on the laptop.
    > I plan to use MS Virtual Server and run 3 virtual machines…2- 2003 Server
    > Virtual Machines and 1 SBS Virtual Machine with the Main OS on the Server
    > running 2003 Server.
    > My dilema is I need to find a way to reconfigure the machines and the eval
    > runs so I donot keep having to rebuild the machines and reconfigure from
    > Scratch.
    > Any other ways to tackle this without buying excess hardware or software?
    > Thanks!

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...ocs/vs_deploy_setup_VM_disks_hd.mspx?mfr=true
    Read up on differencing disks and undo disks, perfect for what you need!

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCNGP Silver
    MCP Win95
    Wayne McGlinn, Mar 13, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?T2xkIFNjaG9vbA==?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Dustin Harper" <> say in news:496B1DBC-
    :

    > You just lost the sale, there.

    "sale"...."free version"..."sale"...."free version"....

    you do get the whole concept of "capitalism", right?

    (and no, it has nothing to do with grammar or geography)

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - A little judicious carpentry should remedy THAT. - Wile E. Coyote
    Neil, Mar 13, 2007
  12. Capitalism probably has nothing to do with comedy, either. Neither do
    politicians. :rolls eyes: "tough crowd, tough crowd".

    --
    Dustin Harper

    http://www.vistarip.com

    Dustin Harper, Mar 14, 2007