Test Exam Errors?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Bob Gruett, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Bob Gruett

    Bob Gruett Guest

    I've run into a few people in the past who claimed that there was the right
    answer to a given question, and then there was the Microsoft answer. Well,
    during my own studies toward my MCDST and using a combination of MeasureUp
    practice exams as well as supposedly official exams from the web, I have
    found numerous examples of questions and answers that are either wrong, or
    contradictory from one source to another.

    Right now I'm scoring pretty high on the practice exams, so I'm not worried
    about passing. However, it really bothers me that either the core material
    I'm using to study from may be flawed, or perhaps the exams themselves are.

    Anyone else run into this? I'm not talking about questions that appear to
    have real-world 'right' answers and Microsoft 'right' answers; I'm talking
    about questions that you can prove are incorrect, or questions for which you
    have run into study material that contradicts itself or other study
    material.

    Just want to know what to expect when it comes time to take the actual exam.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    PS: Three examples of what I'm talking about are listed below
    --------------------------------------
    File/Source: 070-271_1.pdf, Question #10

    NT 4.0 Workstation SP6 and later can be upgraded directly to XP Pro.
    However, the MS MeasureUp MCDST 70-271 study book, the text states that
    Windows NT 4.0 Workstation SP5 and later can be upgraded directly to XP Pro.

    File/Source: 070-271_1.pdf, Question #6

    generic manufacturer onto which XP will be installed. Text asks what should
    be done prior to install. While one of the options is 'Identify and plan
    for any advanced setup options', this is not the correct answer. However,
    the explanation text states 'If you're installing a new copy, identify and
    plan for any advanced setup options you might want'. This is a clear
    contradiction.

    File/Source: MeasureUp Readiness Review Practice Exam

    small restaurant that has 15 Windows XP Professional workstation. The owner
    of the company is planning on expanding her business to Asia, and she wants
    to know whether she can have her computer display Japanese characters in
    e-mail messages and Microsoft Word documents. How should you configure her
    computer to do this? Of the possible solutions, these are the two (of four
    total) I want to mention:

    Select the Install Files For Eastern Asian Languages check box on the
    Languages tab of the Regional And Language Options dialogue box.

    Select the Install Files For Eastern Asian Languages check box on the
    Advanced tab of the Regional And Language Options dialogue box.

    According to the Readiness Review explanation behind this question, the
    answer is to access the Advanced tab of the Regional And Language Options
    dialogue box. However, upon my own firsthand inspection of this menu in XP
    Pro, I can see that the option to install the Eastern Asian languages files
    is in the Languages tab, not in the Advanced tab.

    Bob Gruett, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Bob Gruett

    T-Bone Guest

    "Bob Gruett" <> wrote
    > I've run into a few people in the past who claimed that there was the

    right
    > answer to a given question, and then there was the Microsoft answer.

    Well,
    > during my own studies toward my MCDST and using a combination of MeasureUp
    > practice exams as well as supposedly official exams from the web, I have
    > found numerous examples of questions and answers that are either wrong, or
    > contradictory from one source to another.

    What exactly are these "supposedly official" exams? Are they braindumps by
    any chance? Because besides being cheat materials, braindumps are notorious
    for having wrong answers. Anything that claims to be real test questions is
    a braindump.

    > Right now I'm scoring pretty high on the practice exams, so I'm not

    worried
    > about passing. However, it really bothers me that either the core

    material
    > I'm using to study from may be flawed, or perhaps the exams themselves

    are.

    Practice exams should only be used to evaluate what areas you are weak in.
    Repeatly using practice exams instead of studying will give youa distorted
    view of how prepared you really are.

    As for the clear contradictions, check the publisher's web page and see if
    they have published any errata for their books.
    --
    HTH,
    T-Bone

    T-Bone, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Bob Gruett

    Micah Guest

    >File/Source: 070-271_1.pdf, Question #10

    >NT 4.0 Workstation SP6 and later can be upgraded directly to XP Pro.
    >However, the MS MeasureUp MCDST 70-271 study book, the text states that
    >Windows NT 4.0 Workstation SP5 and later can be upgraded directly to XP Pro.

    I've learned from the MS Press 70-271 book that NT4.0 SP5 can be upgraded
    directly to XP. I suppose the only way to know for sure is install NT 4, find
    and install SP5, and try the upgrade.

    I suppose they do this for those ppl who only rely on memorizing the
    questions and aswers from the assesment test and not have a core source of
    study, as TBone fairly much stated.

    Micah, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Bob Gruett

    tokyodrifter Guest

    Yep, I have come across the occasional error, including the one you mention
    below. That question appears in the MSPress book for 70-271 as well as the
    practice exam on the accompanying CDROM.

    I thought it was wrong, then I found the following:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890368

    ...so it is a known erratum!

    tokyodrifter, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Bob Gruett

    Bob Gruett Guest

    Thanks for the answers, guys. I'll admit I did start drifting from using the
    study guides to using the practice exams (they take so much less time!), and
    I'm glad to be clear on what the purpose of the exams really is.

    It also makes me feel better to know that some errors have been accounted
    for an corrected.

    So thanks again!

    -Bob

    Bob Gruett, Jul 13, 2005