Test Engines/Study Guides

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Devo, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Devo

    Devo Guest

    Hi,

    I have been studying for the MCDST first exam 70-271 for
    a good few months now .... have read the MS press and
    Exam Cram 2 books and I'm using the test engines included
    with those books.

    But I've been looking for more study aids .... free test
    questions and other tools to make sure I'm as ready as I
    can be before I take the exam.

    I downloaded what I thought were test engines from a file
    sharing tool, though I'm not sure if they are just brain
    dumps (this is my first certification attempt so I'm not
    that familiar with the term!)as they are by a company
    called 'actual test' ....

    Are these the actual questions that are in the exam or
    just practise quetions, like the measureup sort? (though
    I guess the must be changed regularly anyway?) ... if so
    I will cease using them as I'd rather pass fairly (after
    I've studied so hard!) ... I've only read the first page
    of questions so far, and I was getting them right anyway.

    Any help would be appreciated. Cheers,

    Dan - UK
    Devo, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Devo

    todd Guest

    i can say from my only experience with the comptia
    network+ examination that a lot of the sample questions
    were in fact test questions word for word. im not sure
    if the microsoft sample questions are the same but i
    would bet they are.

    also how well do you feel you know the core information
    after reading the microsoft book?

    peace,
    todd

    todd, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Devo

    Guest Guest

    I'd recommend both books, though they are both quite
    different in style.

    It was the first MS Press book I've read and as it's for
    an MS exam it's useful to know the way they think, as in
    my opinion it not always the way it would work in the
    real world of IT but thats not relevant in the test
    marking!

    I feel I now have a good core knowledge, but I've got
    quite a bit of support experience anyway.

    The only thing that it tricky is remembering precise
    details, like exactly what menu an option is in and
    exactly what advanced permissions different permissions
    consist of.

    /Dan

    Guest, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Devo

    John O Guest

    > Are these the actual questions that are in the exam or
    > just practise quetions, like the measureup sort? (though
    > I guess the must be changed regularly anyway?) ... if so
    > I will cease using them as I'd rather pass fairly (after
    > I've studied so hard!) ... I've only read the first page
    > of questions so far, and I was getting them right anyway.

    Some places try to reproduce the actual questions, or at least an
    interpretation of the real questions. The danger is that you'll study these,
    maybe even accept their answer suggestion, and they'll be wrong. Also, they
    may not have copied the question properly, and when you see the actual
    question it is different in some substantial way. On top of all that, this
    creates an ethics issue, and you have to resolve that yourself.

    -John O
    John O, Mar 13, 2005