    that into the test LAN and then replicate and take it out
    of production after test DC is up and functional....

    Thanks for any suggestions :::
    Fluffy Bastard, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Fluffy Bastard

    kpg Guest

    "Fluffy Bastard" <> wrote in message
    news:738f01c483bb$c8b1e040$...
    > # Host-Name Conflict: file://c:\temp\141159.htm (8/16/2004 2:27:30 PM) #
    > Can someone tell me what is the best way to create a test
    > Domain using a copy of a production DC? Steps involved to
    > bring up the test DC in the production domain, then bring
    > that into the test LAN and then replicate and take it out
    > of production after test DC is up and functional....
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions :::

    ur not asking for much ru?
    kpg, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Fluffy Bastard

    JaR Guest

    kpg wrote:

    > "Fluffy Bastard" <> wrote in message
    >
    >># Host-Name Conflict: file://c:\temp\141159.htm (8/16/2004 2:27:30 PM) #
    >>Can someone tell me what is the best way to create a test
    >>Domain using a copy of a production DC? Steps involved to
    >>bring up the test DC in the production domain, then bring
    >>that into the test LAN and then replicate and take it out
    >>of production after test DC is up and functional....
    >>
    >>Thanks for any suggestions :::

    Sure! Be right over. How do you want to be billed?

    JaR
    Pro Thug
    JaR, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Fluffy Bastard

    Andy Foster Guest

    "Fluffy Bastard" wibbled

    >Can someone tell me what is the best way to create a test
    >Domain using a copy of a production DC? Steps involved to
    >bring up the test DC in the production domain, then bring
    >that into the test LAN and then replicate and take it out
    >of production after test DC is up and functional....

    The best way, if you don't know how to do it, is to play
    with it. Find out what works and what doesn't, etc.
    If you want step-by-step spoon-feeding, you have 2 options
    1. Pay a consultant lots of money
    2. Decide what your requirements are (eg. which OS), and
    learn how to use google, KB, etc.
    Andy Foster, Aug 17, 2004
  5. >If you want step-by-step spoon-feeding, you have 2 options
    >1. Pay a consultant lots of money
    >2. Decide what your requirements are (eg. which OS), and
    >learn how to use google, KB, etc.

    yet so many choose the first option.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Fluffy Bastard

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Aug 17, 2004 "The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere" blathered:

    > yet so many choose the first option.....

    ....God bless 'em!

    --
    Tech "Consulting Geek" Pro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Fluffy Bastard

    Dragon Guest

    For a 'Fluffy Bastard' like him, I would go Pay Pal only. Even cash can be a
    bit fluffy.

    Dragon, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Fluffy Bastard

    JaR Guest

    TechGeekPro wrote:

    > On Aug 17, 2004 "The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere" blathered:
    >

    >>yet so many choose the first option.....

    > ...God bless 'em!

    ....and their wallets.

    JaR
    Mercenary Thug
    JaR, Aug 17, 2004
  9. Fluffy Bastard

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "=?Utf-8?B?SVI4VGVjaA==?="
    <> spewed in

    > First off, is your domain AD2000 mixed, 2000 native or AD2003 (mixed,
    > 2000 compat or 2003 native)? Details maybe helpful. At any rate try
    > looking at Microsoft and look up GPMC (Group Policy Management Console
    > -SP1? maybe 2 is out). The GPMC was built with this in mind and
    > includes a mtedit.exe utility so you can do some XML-type transforms
    > of the AD objects (ie. GPOs) and hammer them into your (hopefully
    > isolated) test domain. There was even a MS webcast on this very issue.
    > Search the archived webcasts for GPMC. Good luck.

    WHAT? GMPC is designed to create a parrallel duplicate domain for testing?
    And here I thought it was limited to Group Policy stuff...While the tool
    would be extremely useful for group policy migration there may be some
    items it does not bring across...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Some things will be unique to the domain and can not be brought across and
    something have to under go a XML tranform.
    Let's babble on but the web cast will explain it better.

    =?Utf-8?B?SVI4VGVjaA==?=, Aug 18, 2004
  11. Fluffy Bastard

    > Well I guess your definition of Useful info = babbling then ... Damn
    > right! As long as I help.

    and I guess your definition of Domain = GPO....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 18, 2004
  12. Fluffy Bastard

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > babbling on and on again "=?Utf-8?B?SVI4VGVjaA==?="
    > <> spewed in
    >
    > > Well I guess your definition of Useful info = babbling then ... Damn
    > > right! As long as I help.

    > and I guess your definition of Domain = GPO....

    Neil, are you saying that's not the definition of a Domain? Come on now,
    let's be serious.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Aug 18, 2004
  13. Fluffy Bastard

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Ken Briscoe" <> spewed in

    > Neil, are you saying that's not the definition of a Domain? Come on now,
    > let's be serious.

    ok, sorry..i'll just go sit over here in the dummy section....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 18, 2004
  14. Fluffy Bastard

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > babbling on and on again "Ken Briscoe" <> spewed in
    >
    > > Neil, are you saying that's not the definition of a Domain? Come on now,
    > > let's be serious.

    > ok, sorry..i'll just go sit over here in the dummy section....

    you
    know
    damn
    right

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Aug 18, 2004
  15. Fluffy Bastard

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Rowdy Yates, Aug 18, 2004
  16. Fluffy Bastard

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Ken Briscoe" <> spewed
    in news::

    > "Neil" <> wrote in message
    >> babbling on and on again "Ken Briscoe" <>
    >> spewed in news:u$:
    >>
    >> > Neil, are you saying that's not the definition of a Domain? Come on
    >> > now, let's be serious.

    >> ok, sorry..i'll just go sit over here in the dummy section....

    > you
    > know
    > damn
    > right

    ken could you move down on the bench, there's not enough room for me...
    :)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 19, 2004