    Has anybody and experience of this service? I have searched this ng but
    can't find any mention of it. Mainly interested in call quality and
    reliability.
    Ian Pawson, Sep 7, 2008

  2. Ian Pawson

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:57:38 +0100, Ian Pawson <> wrote:

    >Has anybody and experience of this service? I have searched this ng but
    >can't find any mention of it. Mainly interested in call quality and
    >reliability.

    I use JustVoip.com for outgoing calls. I find justVoip to be very
    reliable and it has good voice quality.
    You will be able to find trillions of references to Tesco Voip if you
    go to Google groups and do a search.
    http://groups.google.co.uk/
    However, there are lots of better deals than Tesco.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Sep 7, 2008

  3. Ian Pawson

    Brian A, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Ian Pawson

    Graham. Guest

    "Ian Pawson" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody and experience of this service? I have searched this ng but
    > can't find any mention of it. Mainly interested in call quality and
    > reliability.

    You won't find many references in this group to Tesco Internet Phone
    except those that illustrate how expensive it is in comparison with
    lesser-known services that are out there.

    I use smslisto.com, one of the many sister company's of justvoip.com
    that Brian A mentioned. The parant company is called Betamax beleve it or
    not.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 7, 2008
  5. Ian Pawson

    Graham. Guest

    Graham., Sep 7, 2008
  6. Ian Pawson

    Al Guest

    "Ian Pawson" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody and experience of this service? I have searched this ng but
    > can't find any mention of it. Mainly interested in call quality and
    > reliability.

    A) Did you have any petrol?
    B) Do you have a Tesco Club card?
    Al, Sep 7, 2008
  7. Ian Pawson

    Al Guest

    Al, Sep 7, 2008
  8. Ian Pawson

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Ian Pawson wrote:
    > Has anybody and experience of this service? I have searched this ng but
    > can't find any mention of it. Mainly interested in call quality and
    > reliability.

    Thanks to all who replied, but I was interested to see if anybody used
    it and could say about voice quality and reliability and NOT costs.

    I currently use voipcheap which works fine but I want a geographic
    incoming number which they are unable to supply, but Tesco do. I have
    also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of stick in
    this ng for poor quality and reliability.
    Ian Pawson, Sep 8, 2008
  9. Ian Pawson

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Ian Pawson, Sep 8, 2008
  10. Ian Pawson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:ga1of6$d1g$,
    Ian Pawson <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : I currently use voipcheap which works fine but I want a geographic
    : incoming number which they are unable to supply, but Tesco do. I have
    : also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of stick in
    : this ng for poor quality and reliability.

    There were problems a year or two back with reliability but I've been
    using Sipgate since they first started in the UK 4 years ago and quality
    has never been an issue, it's always been excellent (at least for me).

    The reliability problem was solved when they upgraded their servers a year
    or two ago, I've not had a serious problem since then. They're free to
    try, you've got nothing to lose by giving them a go.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 8, 2008
  12. Ian Pawson

    Chris Davies Guest

    Ian Pawson <> wrote:
    > I have also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of
    > stick in this ng for poor quality and reliability.

    Sipgate's been pretty solid for me over the past year or so. (I use
    sipgate for incoming and voicemail, and more recently smslisto.com
    for outbound.)

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Sep 8, 2008
  13. Ian Pawson

    Chris Davies Guest

    Chris Davies, Sep 8, 2008
  14. Ian Pawson

    alexd Guest

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:35:00 +0100, Ian Pawson wrote:

    > I currently use voipcheap which works fine but I want a geographic
    > incoming number which they are unable to supply, but Tesco do. I have
    > also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of stick in
    > this ng for poor quality and reliability.

    Do they? I haven't had any problems with Sipgate for nigh-on two years
    now.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:00:54 up 1 day, 12 min, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.05, 0.01
    alexd, Sep 8, 2008
  15. Ian Pawson

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Ian Pawson wrote:
    > Has anybody and experience of this service? I have searched this ng but
    > can't find any mention of it. Mainly interested in call quality and
    > reliability.

    Many thanks for all the feedback - I will give sipgate a try.
    Ian Pawson, Sep 8, 2008
  16. Ian Pawson

    Graham. Guest

    "Ian Pawson" <> wrote in message
    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >> Has anybody and experience of this service? I have searched this ng but
    >> can't find any mention of it. Mainly interested in call quality and
    >> reliability.

    > Thanks to all who replied, but I was interested to see if anybody used
    > it and could say about voice quality and reliability and NOT costs.
    >
    > I currently use voipcheap which works fine but I want a geographic
    > incoming number which they are unable to supply, but Tesco do. I have
    > also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of stick in
    > this ng for poor quality and reliability.

    Actually voipcheap.CO.UK used to issue geographic numbers but that
    was a few years ago. I have left a couple of cents in my account and
    so far, the number still works.

    voipcheap.COM however have never issued local numbers.
    Like the others, I also get free UK geo numbers from sipgate.co.uk
    they are also availible from orbtalk.co.uk

    To answer your question Ian although I havent used the Tesco
    service I have used many cheaper and less well known ones
    and reliability and call quality have never been an issue with
    any of them, I would expect the Tesco service to be just as
    good in these respects.

    One other thing Ian, I was not aware that Tesco Internet Phone
    came with a geographic phone number. I can't find a reference
    to it on their website, could you post a link please?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 8, 2008
  17. In article <ga3ie4$49h$>,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    >One other thing Ian, I was not aware that Tesco Internet Phone
    >came with a geographic phone number. I can't find a reference
    >to it on their website, could you post a link please?

    I bought a Tesco internet phone once, but really only because it was on
    offer and at £9.99 for a USB "phone" was too good to miss at the time
    (over a year ago), however I did go through their sign-up process and it
    would have allocated me a number, but it was only a limited number of
    local dialling codes and they didn't have my code in their list. They
    may have filled the list out by now, however...

    I think they even used IAX rather than SIP too.

    And the USB phone workes well with Zoiper under Linux - never got the
    buttons to work correctly though.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 8, 2008
  18. Ian Pawson

    Iain Guest

    Ian Pawson wrote:

    > I currently use voipcheap which works fine but I want a geographic
    > incoming number which they are unable to supply, but Tesco do. I have
    > also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of stick in
    > this ng for poor quality and reliability.

    Sipgate are excellent. They get a lot of stick from one complete nutter
    in this newsgroup, who posts under a variety of false identities. He
    also berates all the other providers he has tried.
    Iain, Sep 8, 2008
  19. Ian Pawson

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <ga1of6$d1g$>
    Ian Pawson <> wrote:

    > I have also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of stick
    > in this ng for poor quality and reliability.

    There only seems to be one person who has had trouble with Sipgate.
    He's a notorious troll, and has made a lot of noise on the subject
    in this ng. Best ignore him.

    Dave
    Dave Higton, Sep 8, 2008
  20. Ian Pawson

    steve H Guest

    Dave Hinton wrote:
    > In message <ga1of6$d1g$>
    > Ian Pawson <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have also looked at sipgate but they seem to come in for a lot of stick
    >> in this ng for poor quality and reliability.

    > There only seems to be one person who has had trouble with Sipgate.
    > He's a notorious troll, and has made a lot of noise on the subject
    > in this ng. Best ignore him.
    >
    > Dave

    You should ask anyone using sip gate in a call center, it's not 100%
    reliable. You probably wouldn't notice the outages for home use or SME
    where short outages would not be seen as a problem. When they can
    guarantee 99.9999% uptime they would be worth consideration. For now
    ISDN 30 is the most reliable and call costs are often cheaper than VOIP
    providers.

    Steve H
    steve H, Sep 8, 2008