    desk keep cutting me off

    Any suggestions welcome

    Thanks

    mark eldon, Sep 7, 2006

  2. mark eldon

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <45009dd6$0$565$>, mark
    eldon <9.co.uk> writes
    >Price of 9.98 persuaded me to invest in a tesco phone last weekend
    >
    >However , cant use audio features of phone
    >
    >Windows keeps finding USB Audio Device but no driver for it and the "help"
    >desk keep cutting me off

    Wasn't there a disk with it that contained drivers?

    Anyway, I think it's the same as this phone:
    <http://www.picstop.co.uk/Skype-USB-VOIP-Phone/USB-(Skype)-VoIP-Internet-
    LCD-Phone---Red>.

    There are links on the website for drivers, etc.
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

    Martin Jay, Sep 8, 2006

  3. mark eldon

    mark eldon Guest

    thanks for the prompt reply Martin - only drivers on site are for skype
    phones and similar
    no USB audio drivers on disk - picked Tesco because of choice of area code

    mark eldon, Sep 8, 2006
  4. In article <4500ac87$0$566$>,
    mark eldon <9.co.uk> wrote:
    >thanks for the prompt reply Martin - only drivers on site are for skype
    >phones and similar
    >no USB audio drivers on disk - picked Tesco because of choice of area code

    the phone is a Yealink device: http://www.yealink.com/

    I didn't need any drivers to make it work under XP (nor Linux either
    for that matter) However, I haven't used the Tesco software (I got it
    as it was a cheap USB 'phone' and for nothing else)

    Sure you actually need drivers?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 8, 2006
  5. mark eldon

    mark eldon Guest

    Thanks for reply - new to all this voip stuff

    I signed up for Tesco to get £5 worth of calls and an 0203 number but cant
    hear anything over the phone either in or out

    Mark

    mark eldon, Sep 8, 2006
  6. mark eldon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "mark eldon" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    > thanks for the prompt reply Martin - only drivers on site
    > are for skype phones and similar
    > no USB audio drivers on disk - picked Tesco because of
    > choice of area code

    You can get any code you want from many suppliers. Sipgate
    (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free numbers for any area and no monthly charge.
    Also being SIP you can use an adaptor and an ordinary phone, you aren't
    tied to a computer.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 8, 2006
  7. Thus spaketh mark eldon:
    > Thanks for reply - new to all this voip stuff
    >
    > I signed up for Tesco to get £5 worth of calls and an 0203 number but
    > cant hear anything over the phone either in or out
    >
    > Mark

    There are many other providers that issue 020 numbers, not sure how many
    issue local numbers beginning 3 though.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 8, 2006
  8. Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
    > "mark eldon" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> thanks for the prompt reply Martin - only drivers on site
    >> are for skype phones and similar
    >> no USB audio drivers on disk - picked Tesco because of
    >> choice of area code

    > You can get any code you want from many suppliers. Sipgate
    > (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free numbers for any area and no monthly
    > charge. Also being SIP you can use an adaptor and an ordinary phone,
    > you aren't tied to a computer.
    >
    > Ivor

    Have they sorted out the IPKALL issue, do they have a timescale, or have
    they just decided they don't care if they annoy all their customers?

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 8, 2006
  9. mark eldon

    Bert Guest

    > Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
    >> "mark eldon" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> thanks for the prompt reply Martin - only drivers on site
    >>> are for skype phones and similar
    >>> no USB audio drivers on disk - picked Tesco because of
    >>> choice of area code

    >> You can get any code you want from many suppliers. Sipgate
    >> (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free numbers for any area and no monthly
    >> charge. Also being SIP you can use an adaptor and an ordinary phone,
    >> you aren't tied to a computer.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Have they sorted out the IPKALL issue, do they have a timescale, or have
    > they just decided they don't care if they annoy all their customers?
    >

    > --
    > DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    > PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    > Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    I am with Tesco now for the last 6 weeks. Absolutely perfect. The sound
    quality that Skype couldn't offer, is offered by Tesco. To answer the IP
    answer. I have seen this problem. Menu, options, audio devices. Choose USB
    Audio device.

    Bert.

    Bert, Sep 8, 2006
  10. mark eldon

    The Invalid Guest

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:10:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"mark eldon" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> thanks for the prompt reply Martin - only drivers on site
    >> are for skype phones and similar
    >> no USB audio drivers on disk - picked Tesco because of
    >> choice of area code

    >You can get any code you want from many suppliers. Sipgate
    >(www.sipgate.co.uk) have free numbers for any area and no monthly charge.
    >Also being SIP you can use an adaptor and an ordinary phone, you aren't
    >tied to a computer.
    >
    >Ivor

    Says the man addicted to Sipgate

    The Invalid, Sep 8, 2006
  11. mark eldon

    The Invalid Guest

    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 05:25:55 GMT, "Bert" <> wrote:

    >> --
    >> DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
    >> PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    >> Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    >I am with Tesco now for the last 6 weeks. Absolutely perfect. The sound
    >quality that Skype couldn't offer, is offered by Tesco. To answer the IP
    >answer. I have seen this problem. Menu, options, audio devices. Choose USB
    >Audio device.
    >
    >Bert.

    Strange as after testing the Tesco product I still find Skype superior
    quality

    The Invalid, Sep 8, 2006
  12. mark eldon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Sipgate / IPKall (was Re: tesco voip)

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message

    > Have they sorted out the IPKALL issue, do they have a
    > timescale, or have they just decided they don't care if
    > they annoy all their customers?

    I asked about this and they have told me that they have sent instructions
    to IPKall on how to authenticate with sipgate servers, maybe it is just
    taking some time to implement. It's down to them now, anyway.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 8, 2006
  13. mark eldon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:10:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "mark eldon" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > thanks for the prompt reply Martin - only drivers on
    > > > site are for skype phones and similar
    > > > no USB audio drivers on disk - picked Tesco because of
    > > > choice of area code

    > > You can get any code you want from many suppliers.
    > > Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free numbers for any
    > > area and no monthly charge. Also being SIP you can use
    > > an adaptor and an ordinary phone, you aren't tied to a
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Ivor
    > >

    > Says the man addicted to Sipgate

    I'm not getting into a slanging match so don't bother trying to start one.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 8, 2006
  14. mark eldon

    Simon Guest

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 00:54:22 +0100, "mark eldon" <9.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for reply - new to all this voip stuff
    >
    >I signed up for Tesco to get £5 worth of calls and an 0203 number but cant
    >hear anything over the phone either in or out
    >
    >Mark

    I found the sound quality quite poor using the handset. Using my own
    headset, the sound quality was perfectly fine.

    rgds
    Simon

    Simon, Sep 8, 2006
  15. mark eldon

    The Invalid Guest

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:33:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:10:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "mark eldon" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > You can get any code you want from many suppliers.
    >> > Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) have free numbers for any
    >> > area and no monthly charge. Also being SIP you can use
    >> > an adaptor and an ordinary phone, you aren't tied to a
    >> > computer.
    >> >
    >> > Ivor
    >> >

    >> Says the man addicted to Sipgate

    >I'm not getting into a slanging match so don't bother trying to start one.
    >
    >Ivor

    Truth hurts Huh?

    The Invalid, Sep 10, 2006
  16. mark eldon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Truth hurts Huh?

    No, but public slanging matches are boring. If you really want one, give
    me your email address and we'll go off group.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2006
  17. mark eldon

    The Invalid Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:52:20 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> Truth hurts Huh?

    >No, but public slanging matches are boring. If you really want one, give
    >me your email address and we'll go off group.
    >
    >Ivor

    No thanks.
    However, your continual rubbishing of Skype for other products which
    are inferior is getting extremely tedious, so I will always rebut the
    tripe you post should I see fit.

    The Invalid, Sep 11, 2006
  18. mark eldon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > However, your continual rubbishing of Skype for other
    > products which are inferior is getting extremely tedious,

    I am doing no such thing.

    Ok, if normal VoIP systems are inferior to Skype, tell me *how* and *why*
    they are inferior. Tell me in *precise technical terms* how Skype is
    superior to any service which allows me to use the same phone as I use for
    normal PSTN calls for VoIP calls, without a computer needing to be
    switched on. Example - I have a phone next to me as I type this that will
    ring for an incoming call to any one of around 6 SIP accounts, including
    three UK numbers, a German number and a US one. As well as the PSTN line.

    It's a normal DECT cordless phone so I can be anywhere in the house with
    it and none of my computers are involved.

    > so I will always rebut the tripe you post should I see
    > fit.

    Truth hurts, I see.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 11, 2006
  19. mark eldon

    The Invalid Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:47:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> However, your continual rubbishing of Skype for other
    >> products which are inferior is getting extremely tedious,

    >I am doing no such thing.
    >
    >Ok, if normal VoIP systems are inferior to Skype, tell me *how* and *why*
    >they are inferior. Tell me in *precise technical terms* how Skype is
    >superior to any service which allows me to use the same phone as I use for
    >normal PSTN calls for VoIP calls, without a computer needing to be
    >switched on. Example - I have a phone next to me as I type this that will
    >ring for an incoming call to any one of around 6 SIP accounts, including
    >three UK numbers, a German number and a US one. As well as the PSTN line.

    You don't need a computer on for Skype now, and I can also use it on
    my MDA.
    The call quality using Skype is also far superior than many other
    VOIP services

    >It's a normal DECT cordless phone so I can be anywhere in the house with
    >it and none of my computers are involved.
    >
    >> so I will always rebut the tripe you post should I see
    >> fit.

    >Truth hurts, I see.

    It hurts you

    The Invalid, Sep 12, 2006
  20. mark eldon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:47:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > > However, your continual rubbishing of Skype for other
    > > > products which are inferior is getting extremely
    > > > tedious,

    > > I am doing no such thing.
    > >
    > > Ok, if normal VoIP systems are inferior to Skype, tell
    > > me *how* and *why* they are inferior. Tell me in
    > > *precise technical terms* how Skype is superior to any
    > > service which allows me to use the same phone as I use
    > > for normal PSTN calls for VoIP calls, without a
    > > computer needing to be switched on. Example - I have a
    > > phone next to me as I type this that will ring for an
    > > incoming call to any one of around 6 SIP accounts,
    > > including three UK numbers, a German number and a US
    > > one. As well as the PSTN line.

    > You don't need a computer on for Skype now, and I can
    > also use it on my MDA.

    I asked you to tell me in precise technical terms. But as you can't seem
    to manage that, just show me an ATA that I can plug into my router and use
    an ordinary phone with Skype. Not a USB device, not a PDA or anything
    similar, a box that plugs into a router's Ethernet port.

    > The call quality using Skype is also far superior than
    > many other VOIP services

    That's a subjective argument and can't really be proven. What you consider
    superior call quality and what I consider superior call quality can't
    really be compared as everyone's view will be different.

    > > It's a normal DECT cordless phone so I can be anywhere
    > > in the house with it and none of my computers are
    > > involved.
    > >
    > > > so I will always rebut the tripe you post should I see
    > > > fit.

    > > Truth hurts, I see.
    > >

    > It hurts you

    Not really, but you seem to be talking tripe again.

    Are you sure you're name's not Ron..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 12, 2006