Tesco VoIP is IAX based

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by PhilT, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Thus spaketh news:
    > In message <KKVXf.46827$>,
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> writes
    >

    >> Now I don't have that BT landline, as I trialled VoIP for several
    >> months, after I found it to be very reliable, I ditched the landline.
    >>

    > I'm curious. Whose VoIP service did you find very reliable for several
    > months? I haven't found one yet.

    Other than a slight problem for a few hours the other week, and a short
    problem many many months before I relied on VoIP, I've had no problems with
    Sipgate and currently VoIP Stunt, used VoIP Buster before that and have
    trialled SIP Discount and VoIP Cheap.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 3, 2006

  2. PhilT

    fred Guest

    > Thus spaketh fred:
    >> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually.
    >> I made a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per
    >> minute excellent value for money.

    > Tesco VoIP is poor value for money, compared to the competition.
    >
    > From a BT landline using 18185 you can call Canada for 0.5p/min.

    That maybe true but who wants to have to use a prefix number every time they
    call abroad? It's hard enough remembering the correct dialling codefor a
    specific country without adding prefixes! Plus you can't use your BT
    landline when you are in a foreign country unlike Tesco's service which you
    only need a broadband connection to obtain their same call rate.
    Fred.

    fred, Apr 4, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh fred:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:ebVXf.46786$...
    >> Thus spaketh fred:
    >>> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually.
    >>> I made a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per
    >>> minute excellent value for money.

    >> Tesco VoIP is poor value for money, compared to the competition.
    >>
    >> From a BT landline using 18185 you can call Canada for 0.5p/min.
    >>

    > That maybe true but who wants to have to use a prefix number every
    > time they call abroad? It's hard enough remembering the correct
    > dialling codefor a specific country without adding prefixes! Plus you
    > can't use your BT landline when you are in a foreign country unlike
    > Tesco's service which you only need a broadband connection to obtain
    > their same call rate. Fred.

    Most people are happy to dial a short number infront of international calls,
    there are certainly enough people happy to dial 1899 in front of UK calls,
    the same people are happy to dial 18185 in front of international and UK
    mobile calls.

    Not every is lazy enough to worry about a few extra digits, they are more
    interested in saving money.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 4, 2006
  4. PhilT

    Tim Bray Guest

    cypr wrote:
    > Does that mean I cannot programme my Sipura 841 phone to use with
    > it?

    The Sipura841 does not support IAX.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Apr 5, 2006
  5. PhilT

    Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:52:25 GMT, "fred" <>
    wrote:

    >That maybe true but who wants to have to use a prefix number every time they
    >call abroad?

    Orchid Dialler. £14.99

    , Apr 5, 2006
  6. PhilT

    fred Guest

    > Thus spaketh fred:
    >> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:ebVXf.46786$...
    >>> Thus spaketh fred:
    >>>
    >>> Tesco VoIP is poor value for money, compared to the competition.
    >>>
    >>> From a BT landline using 18185 you can call Canada for 0.5p/min.
    >>>

    >> That maybe true but who wants to have to use a prefix number every
    >> time they call abroad? It's hard enough remembering the correct
    >> dialling codefor a specific country without adding prefixes! Plus you
    >> can't use your BT landline when you are in a foreign country unlike
    >> Tesco's service which you only need a broadband connection to obtain
    >> their same call rate. Fred.

    > Most people are happy to dial a short number infront of international
    > calls, there are certainly enough people happy to dial 1899 in front of UK
    > calls, the same people are happy to dial 18185 in front of international
    > and UK mobile calls.
    >
    > Not every is lazy enough to worry about a few extra digits, they are more
    > interested in saving money.
    >

    > --
    > Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    > 3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    > www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

    You say "Most people?". I do not know anybody that uses a prefix dialler to
    make cheaper calls. Personally i would find it annoying to have to use a
    prefix number every time I made a call-international or otherwise!
    Fred

    fred, Apr 5, 2006
  7. PhilT

    Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:15:30 GMT, "fred" <>
    wrote:

    > Personally i would find it annoying to have to use a
    >prefix number every time I made a call-international or otherwise!
    >Fred

    You carry on paying 2p a minute then Fred and I will carry on paying
    NOTHING a minute to all the countries in the world that I want to dial
    using voipcheap and sip discount , I am not to lazy to dial a few
    extra numbers .

    , Apr 5, 2006
  8. Thus spaketh fred:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:pMAYf.47987$...
    >> Thus spaketh fred:
    >>> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    >>> message news:ebVXf.46786$...

    >>> That maybe true but who wants to have to use a prefix number every
    >>> time they call abroad? It's hard enough remembering the correct
    >>> dialling codefor a specific country without adding prefixes! Plus
    >>> you can't use your BT landline when you are in a foreign country
    >>> unlike Tesco's service which you only need a broadband connection
    >>> to obtain their same call rate. Fred.

    >> Most people are happy to dial a short number infront of international
    >> calls, there are certainly enough people happy to dial 1899 in front
    >> of UK calls, the same people are happy to dial 18185 in front of
    >> international and UK mobile calls.
    >>
    >> Not every is lazy enough to worry about a few extra digits, they are
    >> more interested in saving money.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    >> 3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    >> www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    >>

    > You say "Most people?". I do not know anybody that uses a prefix
    > dialler to make cheaper calls. Personally i would find it annoying to
    > have to use a prefix number every time I made a call-international or
    > otherwise! Fred

    I don't know anyone who doesn't use a prefix dial access number, but then
    the people I know are neither that lazy they can't add a short number in
    front, nor are they happy to waste money, when the savings are substantial.

    All my family and all my friends use 1899 (for daytime calls at 3 pence
    each - not 3p/min) and 18185 for international calls, along with a CPS
    service (for completely free evening and weekend calls) to make their calls.

    Can't see how you would find it annoying to add 18185 to a number, that is
    the strangest thing I've ever heard, you are already dialling a number a few
    extra digits is nothing. All you need to do if it is a regular number is
    add the number to the memory of the phone infront of the number you wish to
    dial, for example "18185001360488nnnn". It's not difficult, but phone
    companies do make their money from lazy people I suppose. I take it you
    don't own a mobile as it must be annoying to dial the area code for a local
    number.

    Though if you are the type who gets confused you can buy a dialler box that
    routes your call to your chosen supplier dependant on time, day and
    destination, all without having to dial or remember access codes.
    http://www.orchid-electronics.com/Diallers/v4.htm

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 6, 2006
  9. PhilT

    Chris Davies Guest

    fred <> wrote:
    > That maybe true but who wants to have to use a prefix number every time
    > they call abroad? It's hard enough remembering the correct dialling
    > code for a specific country without adding prefixes!

    That's why LCR dialers are so popular over uk.telecom. See
    http://www.orchid-electronics.com/Diallers/v4.htm

    IIRC, I've got four different LCR providers configured on mine,
    plus BT itself for the fall-through. (Three for the various day/eve,
    landline/mobile/intl combinations, and one for DQ.)

    > Plus you can't use your BT landline when you are in a foreign country
    > unlike Tesco's service which you only need a broadband connection to
    > obtain their same call rate.

    So you set up VOIP before you go, and otherwise use your landline. Seems
    pretty simple to me.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Apr 6, 2006
  10. PhilT

    Guest

    > If the toy USB phone with its echo and crappy iLBC / Speex 3.3kbytes/s
    > of bandwidth doesn't appeal you may like to know that Tesco VoIP is
    > IAX2 protocol via a server 202.148.48.108 registered to an Australian
    > provider.

    Does this mean I'd be able to configure their el-cheapo handsets to
    talk to my LAN's asterisk server for making internal calls and using a
    least-cost routing setup? Could be useful if you could...

    , Apr 6, 2006
  11. PhilT

    Sean Guest

    Or you buy a dialer box

    Sean, Apr 6, 2006
  12. PhilT

    Sean Guest

    I've got relatives of mine, who have quite bad memories, but they know
    that dialing 1899 then the area code in front of local calls will make
    them much cheaper! They've spent around £1 a month for the last 5 on
    calls. Think they would spend about £6 on BT a month... It's not that
    hard to dial a few more digits

    Sean, Apr 6, 2006
  13. PhilT

    alexd Guest

    Tim Bray wrote:

    > cypr wrote:
    >> Does that mean I cannot programme my Sipura 841 phone to use with
    >> it?

    > The Sipura841 does not support IAX.

    IME, the SPA-841 barely supports SIP ;-)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:21:11 up 5 days, 6:09, 2 users, load average: 0.63, 1.02, 0.78

    alexd, Apr 6, 2006
  14. PhilT

    Tim Bray Guest

    alexd wrote:

    > IME, the SPA-841 barely supports SIP ;-)

    It works ok. Same as everyother sipura device.

    No, the SPA-841 could do with some more echo cancellation, and a nicer
    DSP, but you get what you pay for. (and RTP, not SIP)

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Apr 8, 2006
  15. PhilT

    Guest

    On 1 Apr 2006 07:43:10 -0800, "PhilT" <> wrote:

    >of bandwidth doesn't appeal you may like to know that Tesco VoIP is
    >IAX2 protocol via a server 202.148.48.108 registered to an Australian
    >provider. Username is the geographical phone number, password is the

    That is voicestream then http://www.voicestream.net.au/whitelabel.html

    , Apr 10, 2006
  16. <> wrote in message
    > On 1 Apr 2006 07:43:10 -0800, "PhilT" <> wrote:
    >
    >>of bandwidth doesn't appeal you may like to know that Tesco VoIP is
    >>IAX2 protocol via a server 202.148.48.108 registered to an Australian
    >>provider. Username is the geographical phone number, password is the

    > That is voicestream then http://www.voicestream.net.au/whitelabel.html

    Well - Freshtel is Tesco's partner
    (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/20/tesco_voip_bt/), and Voicestream is
    a Freshtel company, so almost certainly yes in some shape or form.

    --
    Thomas Sandford

    Thomas Sandford, Apr 10, 2006
  17. PhilT

    footbag

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Hooking Asterisk up to Tesco IAX

    So, have hooked Tesco account up to my IAX box. Can dial out no problem, can't get incoming calls.

    First tried setting up like VoipTalk, out OK, no inbound. Then tried using the register command in iax.conf, like astmasters.

    Still no inbound. I know the firewall is OK because I can run the Tesco/Virbiage phone through it and receive calls without problems.

    It does use better codecs outbound, so no more Speex/ilbc.

    Anyone know how to configure * properly for inbound?

    footbag, Jul 17, 2006
  18. PhilT

    growlley

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Hooking Asterisk up to Tesco IAX

    Hi, Footbag I would be gratefull if you could detail how you managed to get that far being a complete Asterisk new I spent 4 hours last night even failing to achieve that.

    thanks

    growlley, Jul 31, 2006
  19. PhilT

    TooledUP

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Setting UP Tesco VOIP service in Trixbox

    Growlley,

    First thing I would do is download the lastest version of Trixbox as it is far easier to setup and get running - the majority of the work is done for you. Once that is in place load up AMP and enter the following in the TRUNKS section - I have not got incoming working correctly set so will add that if I ever manage to get it working!

    Outbound caller ID : YOUR_PHONE_NUMBER

    TRUNK Name : Tesco
    PEER Details :

    host=202.148.48.108
    secret=YOUR_PASSWORD
    type=peer
    username=YOUR_PHONE_NUMBER

    Then setup and outbound route called Tesco and use a mask that defines your requirements - I use: 7|XXXXXXXXXXX
    The '7' is used to select the Tesco IAX trunk as the outbound route.
    The '|' removes this from the dialled string.
    The 'XXXXXXXXXXX' are the required strings to dial a UK number which includes area code.

    Hope that helps a bit......it is a bit confusing to start with but keep going you will get there eventually!

    TooledUP, Sep 16, 2006
  20. PhilT

    footbag

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.

    You'll need to configure iax.conf and extensions.conf to get Tesco working on asterisk. Using instructions from any other IAX VoIP provider works OK - for inbound only (make sure you use a register command in iax.conf).

    Getting inbound working requires a mod to the asterisk source. When your asterisk box registers with a provider, the provider sends a reply message stating how often the asterisk box should re-register. Tesco sends a message with a zero in - effectively asking asterisk not to reregister ever. As a result, after a short period, Tesco think you're offline and will no longer route calls to you. Don't know why they do this - perhaps their client program registers regularly by itself regardless of the parameter in the registration reply and they have put this "0" in to try to block people using asterisk!

    I modded iax2_chan.c to fix this - my fix tells asterisk to leave the register period at the default if the register message from the provider suggests 0. It works fine for tesco.

    You'll need asterisk sources, as well as kernel sources, for your linux box in order to rebuild asterisk with this mod. That's beyond the scope of this post, but there are good sources on the net for building asterisk from source. Note you don't need to recompile your kernel, you just need the sources to build asterisk.

    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
    footbag, Dec 22, 2006