    only (0178 for example). Calls 2p/min to 20 countries.
    http://www.tescointernetphone.com/

    Phil
    PhilT, Apr 1, 2006

  2. PhilT

    fred Guest

    I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
    a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute excellent
    value for money.
    Fred.

    fred, Apr 1, 2006

  3. PhilT

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "fred" <> wrote in message
    > I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
    > value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
    > good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
    > money. Fred.

    1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll probably find it
    cheaper still somewhere..!

    Ivor
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Ivor Jones, Apr 1, 2006
  4. PhilT

    Sean Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "fred" <> wrote in message
    >> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
    >> value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
    >> good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
    >> money. Fred.

    > 1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll probably find it
    > cheaper still somewhere..!
    >
    > Ivor

    1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D

    But of course... depends what your after... have to pay 'line' rental...
    but get 'free' hardware.
    Sean, Apr 1, 2006
  5. PhilT

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "fred" <> wrote in message
    > > > I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
    > > > value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was
    > > > very good quality and at 2p per minute excellent
    > > > value for money. Fred.

    > > 1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
    > > probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!
    > >
    > > Ivor

    > 1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D
    >
    > But of course... depends what your after... have to pay
    > 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

    Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges are quoted with VAT
    applied, some (such as Gradwell's) aren't.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 1, 2006
  6. PhilT

    fred Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> > "fred" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > 1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
    >> > probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!
    >> >
    >> > Ivor

    >> 1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D
    >>
    >> But of course... depends what your after... have to pay
    >> 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

    > Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges are quoted with VAT
    > applied, some (such as Gradwell's) aren't.
    >
    > Ivor

    Which are you referring to Ivor-Tesco or Sipgate? No VAT charge on Tesco's
    2p perminute to Canada.
    Fred.
    fred, Apr 1, 2006
  7. PhilT

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "fred" <> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Sean" <> wrote in message

    > > > 1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D
    > > >
    > > > But of course... depends what your after... have to
    > > > pay 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

    > > Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges
    > > are quoted with VAT applied, some (such as Gradwell's)
    > > aren't. Ivor
    > >

    > Which are you referring to Ivor-Tesco or Sipgate? No VAT
    > charge on Tesco's 2p perminute to Canada.
    > Fred.

    Is that no VAT charged on the call or no VAT quoted in your price..?
    Sipgate's call charges are quoted inclusive of VAT.

    Ivor

    I was referring to BTBBT. Sipgate is still bett
    Ivor Jones, Apr 2, 2006
  8. PhilT

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]

    Ivor Jones, Apr 2, 2006
  9. PhilT

    Rob Walker Guest

    "fred" <> wrote in message
    >I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
    >a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute
    >excellent value for money.
    > Fred.

    This puts me off somewhat though:

    Q: How does a Tesco internet phone work?

    A: Basically, it's a bit like sending an e-mail as it uses the internet

    :)
    Rob Walker, Apr 2, 2006
  10. Rob Walker wrote:
    > "fred" <> wrote in message
    >> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
    >> a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute
    >> excellent value for money.
    >> Fred.

    > This puts me off somewhat though:
    >
    > Q: How does a Tesco internet phone work?
    >
    > A: Basically, it's a bit like sending an e-mail as it uses the internet
    >
    > :)

    Heh :).

    Does anyone know why VAT is chargeable on calls made on a mobile on
    contract, and charged on a landline subscription service (and voip
    services both PAYG and subscription), but isn't charged on Pay as you Go
    mobile vouchers. ?
    Thomas Kenyon, Apr 2, 2006
  11. PhilT

    Sean Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>> "fred" <> wrote in message
    >>> 1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
    >>> probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!
    >>>
    >>> Ivor

    >> 1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D
    >>
    >> But of course... depends what your after... have to pay
    >> 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

    > Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges are quoted with VAT
    > applied, some (such as Gradwell's) aren't.
    >
    > Ivor

    Yes BT charge 1.25p per min inc VAT for quite a lot of international
    destinations
    Sean, Apr 2, 2006
  12. PhilT

    PhilT Guest

    "Does anyone know why VAT isn't charged on Pay as you Go
    mobile vouchers. ?"

    Is it not ? The Orange PAYG rates are stated as including VAT. Perhaps
    the voucher is like a form of money, and its actually the calls that
    attract VAT - so you can't claim VAT back on voucher purchase but can
    on calls made ??

    Phil

    Phil
    PhilT, Apr 2, 2006
  13. PhilT

    Sean Guest

    PhilT wrote:
    > "Does anyone know why VAT isn't charged on Pay as you Go
    > mobile vouchers. ?"
    >
    > Is it not ? The Orange PAYG rates are stated as including VAT. Perhaps
    > the voucher is like a form of money, and its actually the calls that
    > attract VAT - so you can't claim VAT back on voucher purchase but can
    > on calls made ??
    >
    > Phil
    >
    > Phil

    When topping up Orange PAYG with a debit card you can request a VAT
    receipt. So it's the calls that you pay VAT on it seems
    Sean, Apr 2, 2006
  14. Thus spaketh Sean:
    > PhilT wrote:
    >> "Does anyone know why VAT isn't charged on Pay as you Go
    >> mobile vouchers. ?"
    >>
    >> Is it not ? The Orange PAYG rates are stated as including VAT.
    >> Perhaps the voucher is like a form of money, and its actually the
    >> calls that attract VAT - so you can't claim VAT back on voucher
    >> purchase but can on calls made ??
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>

    > When topping up Orange PAYG with a debit card you can request a VAT
    > receipt. So it's the calls that you pay VAT on it seems

    Up until a few years ago the voucher would be £10 (no VAT), then this had to
    change, so it is now £10 Inc VAT.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 2, 2006
  15. Thus spaketh fred:
    > I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually.
    > I made a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per
    > minute excellent value for money.

    Tesco VoIP is poor value for money, compared to the competition.

    From a BT landline using 18185 you can call Canada for 0.5p/min.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 2, 2006
  16. PhilT

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh fred:
    > > I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
    > > value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
    > > good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
    > > money.

    > Tesco VoIP is poor value for money, compared to the
    > competition.
    > From a BT landline using 18185 you can call Canada for
    > 0.5p/min.

    But you have to have a BT landline.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 2, 2006
  17. Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    > wrote in message
    >> Thus spaketh fred:
    >>> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
    >>> value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
    >>> good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
    >>> money.

    >> Tesco VoIP is poor value for money, compared to the
    >> competition.
    >> From a BT landline using 18185 you can call Canada for
    >> 0.5p/min.

    > But you have to have a BT landline.
    >
    > Ivor

    Yes, for those who 'have' to have a phone line, BT is always the best to
    have.

    We used to have a Telewest line from the days of Birmingham Cable and then
    shortly into Telewest.

    Telewest lost the plot with their landline service not long after they took
    over Birmingham Cable, so we switched to BT when we moved.

    BT phone line gives you more choices for cheap call carriers, so even when
    we got Blueyonder broadband, we were not going to go back to Telewests poor
    offering of a phone service.

    Birmingham Cable didn't become Europe's largest cable operator for no
    reason, such a shame Telewest ruined it.

    Now I don't have that BT landline, as I trialled VoIP for several months,
    after I found it to be very reliable, I ditched the landline.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 2, 2006
  18. PhilT

    cypr Guest

    Slightly basic question about Tesco VoIP. What does it mean when it is
    IAX2? Does that mean I cannot programme my Sipura 841 phone to use with
    it? If not, are there any hardwate (ATA equivalants) that can be
    connected such that I can use a normal phone to use Tesco.

    To me they are attractive because they claim to charge 2p to call Dubai
    which is the cheapest I have found anywhere.

    Regards
    cypr, Apr 3, 2006
  19. PhilT

    news Guest

    In message <KKVXf.46827$>,
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> writes

    >Now I don't have that BT landline, as I trialled VoIP for several months,
    >after I found it to be very reliable, I ditched the landline.

    I'm curious. Whose VoIP service did you find very reliable for several
    months? I haven't found one yet.

    --
    Ian
    news, Apr 3, 2006
  20. PhilT

    PhilT Guest

    "Slightly basic question about Tesco VoIP. What does it mean when it is

    IAX2? Does that mean I cannot programme my Sipura 841 phone to use with

    it? If not, are there any hardwate (ATA equivalants) that can be
    connected such that I can use a normal phone to use Tesco."

    IAX2 is a protocol like SIP, so you can use an IP phone or an ATA
    *providing* it supports IAX2. Examples :-
    <http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/voip/iptelephones/atcom/atcom_at-320_ip_telephone.aspx>

    <http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Digium+IAXy+S101I>

    Phil
    PhilT, Apr 3, 2006