    Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
    could I use it also on say Sipgate?

    Thanks - Steve B.
    Steve Barlow, Sep 10, 2006

  2. Steve Barlow

    Jono Guest

    Steve Barlow brought next idea :
    > Question #1 - Can I use an ATA with the Tesco VOIP service instead of the USB
    > Phone?
    >
    > Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
    > could I use it also on say Sipgate?
    >
    > Thanks - Steve B.

    AFAIK, their service is IAX based. Most ATAs use SIP.

    The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
    <http://www.yealink.com/>
    Jono, Sep 10, 2006

  3. Steve Barlow

    Bert Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Barlow brought next idea :
    >> Question #1 - Can I use an ATA with the Tesco VOIP service instead of the
    >> USB Phone?
    >>
    >> Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
    >> could I use it also on say Sipgate?
    >>
    >> Thanks - Steve B.

    > AFAIK, their service is IAX based. Most ATAs use SIP.
    >
    > The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
    > <http://www.yealink.com/>

    Phone works also with Skype.

    Bert.
    Bert, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Steve Barlow

    Paul Guest

    Steve Barlow wrote:
    > Question #1 - Can I use an ATA with the Tesco VOIP service instead of the
    > USB Phone?
    >
    > Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
    > could I use it also on say Sipgate?
    >
    > Thanks - Steve B.

    The service is based on the IAX protocol instead of the much more
    commonplace SIP protocol. Most ATAs support SIP only, the only one I'm
    aware of that supports IAX is the Digium IAXy. I've no idea how good it
    is though.

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Steve Barlow

    Steve Barlow Guest

    > Steve Barlow brought next idea :

    >> Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
    >> could I use it also on say Sipgate?

    > The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
    > <http://www.yealink.com/>

    Jono - thanks for the reply, are we saying then that ALL USB phones are
    merely USB soundcards, and will therefore work with ANY voip service
    provider, be it Skype, Sipgate etc...
    Steve Barlow, Sep 11, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    Steve Barlow <> wrote:

    >> Steve Barlow brought next idea :

    >>> Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
    >>> could I use it also on say Sipgate?

    >> The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
    >> <http://www.yealink.com/>

    >Jono - thanks for the reply, are we saying then that ALL USB phones are
    >merely USB soundcards, and will therefore work with ANY voip service
    >provider, be it Skype, Sipgate etc...

    In my (rather limited) experience, this would appear to be the case.

    The "trick" is getting the soft-phone to recognise the keys on the USB
    phone in a sensible manner. Eg. there is a "helper" application for
    X-Lite undr XP to make the keys work, and under Linux, the standard
    usb-hid stuff works well and it just looks like keyboard input, but
    the red hangup button (on the 'tesco' phone) generates 'ESC' and the
    soft-phone I use (idefisk) doesn't recognise it, so I need to use the
    mouse to hangup a call...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 11, 2006
  7. Steve Barlow

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Steve Barlow" <> wrote in message
    > > Steve Barlow brought next idea :

    > > > Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the
    > > > Tesco VOIP service or could I use it also on say
    > > > Sipgate?

    > > The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
    > > <http://www.yealink.com/>

    > Jono - thanks for the reply, are we saying then that ALL
    > USB phones are merely USB soundcards, and will therefore
    > work with ANY voip service provider, be it Skype, Sipgate
    > etc...

    As far as microphone and speaker/earpiece audio goes, yes. You will most
    likely find that drivers are required to get keypads etc. to work with any
    particular service though, and they will almost certainly be
    hardware-specific to the device and service they're supplied with.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 11, 2006