    from you.

    Yours sincerely

    Teresa

    TERESA HALINIAK, Aug 9, 2004

  2. TERESA HALINIAK

    ron Guest

    "TERESA HALINIAK" <> wrote in message
    news:LfIRc.603$...
    > Help
    >
    > I have just subscribed to tesco.net anytime, after I have clicked the
    > connect button, and I am connected nothing happens. I do not get an
    > internet screen. What am I doing wrong.
    >
    > Also how do I know that I am connected to tesco.net and not still paying
    > connection charges to BT.
    >
    > Also I want to use Microsoft outlook for emails, how do I change to
    > Tesco.net, I used to be with Freeserve.
    >
    > Sorry if my queries sound stupid but I seem to have made a complete and
    > utter mess of my computer.
    >
    > Hope to hear from you soon and I would thank you in anticipation of any

    help
    > from you.
    >
    > Yours sincerely
    >

    > Teresa

    Check the phone number in dial up network to see if it is the correct number

    ron, Aug 9, 2004

  3. TERESA HALINIAK wrote:

    > Help
    >
    > I have just subscribed to tesco.net anytime, after I have clicked the
    > connect button, and I am connected nothing happens. I do not get an
    > internet screen. What am I doing wrong.

    If you are not using AOL (are you a former AOL user, by any chance?) you
    don't get an "Internet screen"; there is no such thing. You may see an icon
    in your system tray (lower right, next to the clock) that looks like a
    couple of computer monitors with their faces in green, which blink
    intermittently. That means you are connected.

    Meanwhile, you have succeeded in posting to this newsgroup, so (assuming you
    are using the same computer) you are evidently connected to the Internet.
    Do any other Internet-related programs work? Can you browse to a web site
    using Internet Explorer, for example?

    > Also how do I know that I am connected to tesco.net and not still paying
    > connection charges to BT.

    Look at the headers of this messsage. Your posting seems to have come from
    ntl (are they the same?), although you have changed your email address in
    Outlook--that's a start. You need to go to tesco's web site and verify the
    right connection number (see below).

    > Also I want to use Microsoft outlook for emails, how do I change to
    > Tesco.net, I used to be with Freeserve.

    Call Tesco and ask them how to change the settings. Or, better, use
    http://www.google.com to find their web site and look for the instructions
    there.

    > Sorry if my queries sound stupid but I seem to have made a complete and
    > utter mess of my computer.

    I think your computer is operating quite well; it's the software between the
    ears that needs a little work. :)

    > Hope to hear from you soon and I would thank you in anticipation of any
    > help from you.

    You're welcome. And this is NOT tesco.net's news group; it is an
    international news group that is unaffiliated with any ISP.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 11, 2004
  4. TERESA HALINIAK

    John Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message

    > I think your computer is operating quite well; it's the software between

    the
    > ears that needs a little work. :)
    >
    > > Hope to hear from you soon and I would thank you in anticipation of any
    > > help from you.

    > You're welcome. And this is NOT tesco.net's news group; it is an
    > international news group that is unaffiliated with any ISP.
    > --
    > Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    > gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
    > "The two most abundant things in the universe
    > are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

    And you are trying your best to change that to hydrogen and rudeness.

    Teresa is clearly someone with a problem and little computer knowledge. That
    doesn't mean Teresa is stupid. For all you know she could be a genius in her
    field.

    To Teresa.

    If you have not sorted it yet then run Iexplorer and click on tools and
    select internet options, then select the connections tab in the white
    rectangle you will see the dial up connections. One of those will be called
    Tesco so select any others in there and click the delete button then you
    will only have the Tesco dial information in there so it cannot dial anyone
    else.

    John, Aug 11, 2004
  5. TERESA HALINIAK

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Gary G. Taylor vaguely muttered something like ...

    > Look at the headers of this messsage. Your posting seems to have come from
    > ntl (are they the same?)

    FYI, and anyone else too, obviously ... ;)

    Tesco.net run off the back of the NTL servers. In effect they share the
    same or similar hardware, software, and have (pretty obviously) similar
    problems ..

    Not least of which being the fact that the Tesco.net [1] internet software
    cd's are sold right at the checkout, and the blurb that goes with them
    suggests that anyone can be up and running on the internet with absolutely
    no hassle. In many ways this can be true, providing the machine the
    software is used on is sound. As is evident from the number of posst, and
    through personal experience, many Tesco.net [2] and NTL customers are not
    well versed with computing and as such often have other computer problems
    that don't aid their internet experience, and aren't helped by the lack of
    support from Tesco or NTL.[3]

    [1] Tesco are a large Supermarket, more renowned for groceries rather than
    Internet hosting, hence the tie-up with NTL, just a means of getting more
    money really .. ;)

    [2] Note I say 'some' Tesco.net customers. I also use NTL, but do have a
    modicum of knowledge. The Tesco.net off-shoot _should_ be a good tie-up,
    and would be, if it weren't for NTL's basivc system and server problems.

    [3] NTL expanded faster than even they presumed possible and help and
    support inevitably suffered. Shit-loads of newbie customers with little
    clue and an ever-expanding network neally crippled NTL almost from day one.
    They have, however, survived and I think they'll become much better. Their
    packages have always been cost-effective, and they have a wide-range,
    suitable for almost anyone. I have left them occasionally, but am back with
    NTL again, and expect to cvontinue buying their internet access as long as I
    can. I like 'em .. so long as you know they can't help you, you'll do OK ..
    ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Aug 11, 2004
  6. TERESA HALINIAK

    John Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > Gary G. Taylor vaguely muttered something like ...
    >
    > > Look at the headers of this messsage. Your posting seems to have come

    from
    > > ntl (are they the same?)

    > FYI, and anyone else too, obviously ... ;)
    >
    > Tesco.net run off the back of the NTL servers. In effect they share the
    > same or similar hardware, software, and have (pretty obviously) similar
    > problems ..
    >
    > Not least of which being the fact that the Tesco.net [1] internet

    software
    > cd's are sold right at the checkout, and the blurb that goes with them
    > suggests that anyone can be up and running on the internet with absolutely
    > no hassle. In many ways this can be true, providing the machine the
    > software is used on is sound. As is evident from the number of posst, and
    > through personal experience, many Tesco.net [2] and NTL customers are not
    > well versed with computing and as such often have other computer problems
    > that don't aid their internet experience, and aren't helped by the lack of
    > support from Tesco or NTL.[3]
    >
    > [1] Tesco are a large Supermarket, more renowned for groceries rather than
    > Internet hosting, hence the tie-up with NTL, just a means of getting more
    > money really .. ;)
    >
    > [2] Note I say 'some' Tesco.net customers. I also use NTL, but do have a
    > modicum of knowledge. The Tesco.net off-shoot _should_ be a good tie-up,
    > and would be, if it weren't for NTL's basivc system and server problems.
    >
    > [3] NTL expanded faster than even they presumed possible and help and
    > support inevitably suffered. Shit-loads of newbie customers with little
    > clue and an ever-expanding network neally crippled NTL almost from day

    one.
    > They have, however, survived and I think they'll become much better.

    Their
    > packages have always been cost-effective, and they have a wide-range,
    > suitable for almost anyone. I have left them occasionally, but am back

    with
    > NTL again, and expect to cvontinue buying their internet access as long as

    > can. I like 'em .. so long as you know they can't help you, you'll do OK

    > ;)
    >
    > --
    > Paul ...

    Well Paul, stay with NTL if you want to, but the cut staff, take on too many
    customers. They stopped taking money when due from thousands of credit card
    and direct debit accounts causing a debt to build up, then passed those
    outstanding accounts to wescot debt collection company who sent out letters
    demanding payment as if these customers had refused to pay. When wescot
    realised what a mess NTL had made of it they dropped NTL and sent the
    payment cheques they received back to the customers.

    So if you insist on staying with NTL then make sure you keep proof of any
    monies you pay them and when the service goes off line be prepared to pay 50
    pence a minute so that some guy in India can tell you there is nothing
    wrong.

    Oh and what ever you do, do not try to contact them by email because even
    sends back an auto reply saying it is no longer monitored.

    After been treated the way they treated me, I will never go near NTL again.
    If they took over an ISP I was using I would close the account right away.

    John, Aug 11, 2004
  7. TERESA HALINIAK

    Paul - xxx Guest

    John vaguely muttered something like ...

    > Well Paul, stay with NTL if you want to, but the cut staff, take on too
    > many customers.

    Isn't that what I just said ?

    > They stopped taking money when due from thousands of
    > credit card and direct debit accounts causing a debt to build up, then
    > passed those outstanding accounts to wescot debt collection company who
    > sent out letters demanding payment as if these customers had refused to
    > pay. When wescot realised what a mess NTL had made of it they dropped NTL
    > and sent the payment cheques they received back to the customers.

    'Selling' debts is a standard business practice ... and I believe, but can't
    actually be arsed to check, that the Westcot affair is finished with now.

    > So if you insist on staying with NTL then make sure you keep proof of any
    > monies you pay them and when the service goes off line be prepared to pay
    > 50 pence a minute so that some guy in India can tell you there is nothing
    > wrong.

    I have never needed to call them, and I never will, I guess. As I already
    said, I know their help is outsourced, which again is common business, and
    sound financial practice these days. Note I didn't say good business
    practice.

    I have a couple of other ISP's for 'standby' and have only needed them when
    really desperate for internet access. As a home user, that's pretty nigh
    never, or when I fancy trying something new ... ;)

    I also know what it takes to keep a network like NTL's up and running, and a
    few days off-line for maintenance and upgrading a year is fine by me. If
    you know where to look, and it's all on the NTL sites, they _do_ plan many
    of their 'outages'. It's a pity more people didn't look at server status
    pages, for instance, before shouting and screaming that NTL are crap ... If
    the internet usage I have was what made my living I'd maybe go a different
    way, but for a home user, their dial-up service, effectively free if you
    take advantage of their phone calls, is most excellent.

    > Oh and what ever you do, do not try to contact them by email because even
    > sends back an auto reply saying it is no longer monitored.

    I won't, see above ...

    > After been treated the way they treated me, I will never go near NTL
    > again. If they took over an ISP I was using I would close the account
    > right away.

    Your prerogative .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Aug 11, 2004
  8. TERESA HALINIAK

    John Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > John vaguely muttered something like ...

    I did not mutter I typed and I was by no means vague.

    snip

    > 'Selling' debts is a standard business practice ... and I believe, but

    can't
    > actually be arsed to check, that the Westcot affair is finished with now.

    Stopping taking payments and then accusing your customers of running up a
    debt and risking getting them on Debters lists is common practice in your
    eyes is it?

    > I also know what it takes to keep a network like NTL's up and running,

    That is more than the managegment at NTL know. Maybe you should get a job
    with them.

    > and a
    > few days off-line for maintenance and upgrading a year is fine by me. If
    > you know where to look, and it's all on the NTL sites, they _do_ plan many
    > of their 'outages'. It's a pity more people didn't look at server status
    > pages, for instance, before shouting and screaming that NTL are crap

    I didn't try to contact them about a few outages. All ISP's get them from
    time to time. I tried to contact them to point out they had not taken the
    monthly payments.

    I did not use the word crap.

    >... If the internet usage I have was what made my living I'd maybe go a

    different
    > way, but for a home user, their dial-up service, effectively free if you
    > take advantage of their phone calls, is most excellent.

    It was until the freedom dialler. Are you saying you actually like the new
    Freedom dialler? If so you have to be the only one. It was the freedom
    dialer was the first downward step, but the debt collection farce was the
    last straw.

    > > Oh and what ever you do, do not try to contact them by email because

    even
    > > sends back an auto reply saying it is no longer

    monitored.

    > I won't, see above ...

    Maybe you don't know what it takes to run NTL properly and you already work
    for them.

    John, Aug 11, 2004
  9. TERESA HALINIAK

    Paul - xxx Guest

    John vaguely muttered something like ...
    > "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    >> John vaguely muttered something like ...

    > I did not mutter I typed and I was by no means vague.
    >

    > snip
    >
    >> 'Selling' debts is a standard business practice ... and I believe, but
    >> can't actually be arsed to check, that the Westcot affair is finished
    >> with now.

    > Stopping taking payments and then accusing your customers of running up a
    > debt and risking getting them on Debters lists is common practice in your
    > eyes is it?

    I didn't say that ..

    >> ... If the internet usage I have was what made my living I'd maybe go a
    >> different way, but for a home user, their dial-up service, effectively
    >> free if you take advantage of their phone calls, is most excellent.

    > It was until the freedom dialler. Are you saying you actually like the
    > new Freedom dialler?

    I didn't say that either .. and you don't need to log on using the dialler
    ...;) Read the NTL help pages .. ;)

    >> I won't, see above ...

    > Maybe you don't know what it takes to run NTL properly and you already
    > work for them.

    Heheheh, nope, I'm nothing to do with them, other than being a satisfied
    customer. From when they first when they installed cable (Well, when they
    took over Diamond Cable) in Nottingham where I then lived, then as a dial-up
    customer at a different location in Nottingham, and again as a dial-up
    customer in Doncaster.

    I look forward to the day when we get their broadband service installed ..
    ;)

    Heheheh, no sweat, I like 'em, you don't .. c'est la vie .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Aug 11, 2004
  10. TERESA HALINIAK

    John Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    snip
    > I look forward to the day when we get their broadband service installed ..
    > ;)

    I am on broadband with Pipex. If I have a query and I email them, they
    answer the query.

    I found it necessary to change the credit card account they should take the
    money from. They had a secure page on their web site to do it, and they
    confirmed the change had been actioned by email right away.

    I get the impression my custom is valued, and the connection is excellent.

    I have not needed the help line but it is not a high rate number.

    OK Paul. I hope NTL don't mess up for you like they did me. Forgive me if I
    don't look up anything on the NTL web site. It doesn't interest me as I and
    5 of the 7 people I know have dumped NTL.

    EOM

    John, Aug 11, 2004