    the tesco software?

    The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.

    Cheers in advance
    RX.3000, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh RX.3000:
    > Hi
    >
    > Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
    > 14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
    > the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
    > buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
    > the tesco software?
    >
    > The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.
    >
    > Cheers in advance

    No unlocking required, it's just a glorified soundcard with speaker and
    mic attached to moulded plastic.

    Can't remember the link, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with
    the drivers for it to be used on VoipCheap, VoIPStunt (which is better)
    and the other one which is slightly better still, plus the others.

    It's not too bad a price for the handset with the credit, but as you
    have found the cost of the calls are rather high compared to other VoIP
    services or even from you standard home phone.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 19, 2006

  3. RX.3000

    Dayvem Guest

    > No unlocking required, it's just a glorified soundcard with speaker and
    > mic attached to moulded plastic.
    >
    > Can't remember the link, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with
    > the drivers for it to be used on VoipCheap, VoIPStunt (which is better)
    > and the other one which is slightly better still, plus the others.

    Maybe

    http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp
    Dayvem, Aug 19, 2006
  4. In article <OLHFg.5793$>,
    RX.3000 <RX.3000@RX.3000> wrote:
    >Hi
    >
    >Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
    >14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
    >
    >Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
    >the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
    >buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
    >the tesco software?

    It's a bog-standard USB device. Yealink phone. I got it to work OK under
    both XP and Linux with X-Lite. There is an application called X-TenMate
    to get the buttons to work under XP, and there is driver support built
    into the latest Linux kernels that make the buttons just work like the
    keyboard equivalents.

    The sound quality seems more than adequate. The coily lead is a bit
    "stiff" though, but it'll ride up with wear...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 19, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh Dayvem:
    >> No unlocking required, it's just a glorified soundcard with speaker
    >> and mic attached to moulded plastic.
    >>
    >> Can't remember the link, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with
    >> the drivers for it to be used on VoipCheap, VoIPStunt (which is
    >> better) and the other one which is slightly better still, plus the
    >> others.

    > Maybe
    >
    > http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

    Yes, I believe that's the one!

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 19, 2006
  6. RX.3000

    paul123 Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <OLHFg.5793$>,
    > RX.3000 <RX.3000@RX.3000> wrote:
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
    > >14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
    > >
    > >Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
    > >the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
    > >buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
    > >the tesco software?

    > It's a bog-standard USB device. Yealink phone. I got it to work OK under
    > both XP and Linux with X-Lite. There is an application called X-TenMate
    > to get the buttons to work under XP, and there is driver support built
    > into the latest Linux kernels that make the buttons just work like the
    > keyboard equivalents.
    >
    > The sound quality seems more than adequate. The coily lead is a bit
    > "stiff" though, but it'll ride up with wear...

    Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones, I
    always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for the
    blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced service.

    That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.

    The post I'm referring to was here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/uk.t...lnk=gst&q=tesco value&rnum=2#31c975a66082bcdc
    paul123, Aug 19, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    paul123 <> wrote:

    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <OLHFg.5793$>,
    >> RX.3000 <RX.3000@RX.3000> wrote:
    >> >Hi
    >> >
    >> >Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
    >> >14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
    >> >
    >> >Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
    >> >the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
    >> >buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
    >> >the tesco software?

    >> It's a bog-standard USB device. Yealink phone. I got it to work OK under
    >> both XP and Linux with X-Lite. There is an application called X-TenMate
    >> to get the buttons to work under XP, and there is driver support built
    >> into the latest Linux kernels that make the buttons just work like the
    >> keyboard equivalents.
    >>
    >> The sound quality seems more than adequate. The coily lead is a bit
    >> "stiff" though, but it'll ride up with wear...

    >Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones, I
    >always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for the
    >blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced service.
    >
    >That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.
    >
    >The post I'm referring to was here:
    >http://groups.google.com/group/uk.t...lnk=gst&q=tesco value&rnum=2#31c975a66082bcdc

    Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
    worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an asterisk
    system... Money well spent I reckon! I might even try to install their
    s/ware just to use the fivers worth of call credit too... (Which is, as you say,
    overpriced!)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 20, 2006
  8. RX.3000

    paul123 Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > paul123 <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones, I
    > >always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for the
    > >blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced service.
    > >
    > >That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.
    > >
    > >The post I'm referring to was here:
    > >http://groups.google.com/group/uk.t...lnk=gst&q=tesco value&rnum=2#31c975a66082bcdc

    > Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
    > worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an asterisk
    > system... Money well spent I reckon!

    After all, it's only 15 knicker.

    > I might even try to install their
    > s/ware just to use the fivers worth of call credit too... (Which is, as you say,
    > overpriced!)

    As I qualified myself..."for many it could be a stepping stone to
    better things."

    However, in terms of numbers and perspectives.... 5 quid credit with
    Tesco is worth 250 minutes in calls to UK landlines......the 15 quid
    asking price is close on € 22 - or 8 months calling to UK landlines
    on voipstunt etc at 300 mins per week... and you could still have that
    €22 credit on your account.
    paul123, Aug 20, 2006
  9. RX.3000

    Graham Guest

    > Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
    > worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an asterisk
    > system... Money well spent I reckon!

    After all, it's only 15 knicker.

    And for 5 knickers more I got a PAP2 from Comet a few months ago.
    Now that WAS good value.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Aug 20, 2006
  10. RX.3000

    jasee Guest

    paul123 wrote:
    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> paul123 <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones,
    >>> I always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for
    >>> the blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced
    >>> service.
    >>>
    >>> That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.
    >>>
    >>> The post I'm referring to was here:
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/uk.t...lnk=gst&q=tesco value&rnum=2#31c975a66082bcdc

    >> Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
    >> worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an
    >> asterisk system... Money well spent I reckon!

    > After all, it's only 15 knicker.
    >
    >> I might even try to install their
    >> s/ware just to use the fivers worth of call credit too... (Which is,
    >> as you say, overpriced!)

    > As I qualified myself..."for many it could be a stepping stone to
    > better things."
    >
    > However, in terms of numbers and perspectives.... 5 quid credit with
    > Tesco is worth 250 minutes in calls to UK landlines......the 15 quid
    > asking price is close on ? 22 - or 8 months calling to UK landlines
    > on voipstunt etc at 300 mins per week... and you could still have that
    > ?22 credit on your account.

    Yes, but topping up £10 gives you an extra 1,000 clubcard points <g> enough
    for about 10 blockbuster rentals!
    jasee, Aug 20, 2006
  11. RX.3000

    Doz Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:20:46 GMT, RX.3000 wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
    > 14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
    > the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
    > buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
    > the tesco software?
    >
    > The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.
    >
    > Cheers in advance

    I got one due to the fact that I'm emmigrating to NZ and the mother-in-law can
    ring the wifes "local" Tesco voip number. (area 01554)
    Doz, Aug 22, 2006
  12. RX.3000

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Doz" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I got one due to the fact that I'm emmigrating to NZ and
    > the mother-in-law can ring the wifes "local" Tesco voip
    > number. (area 01554)

    You can use any service that issues local UK numbers for that, if you have
    the same service at both ends it'll be free calls at all times..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2006
  13. Thus spaketh Doz:
    > On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:20:46 GMT, RX.3000 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
    >> 14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty
    >> much...
    >>
    >> Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset
    >> from the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing
    >> the buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application
    >> instead of the tesco software?
    >>
    >> The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.
    >>
    >> Cheers in advance

    > I got one due to the fact that I'm emmigrating to NZ and the
    > mother-in-law can ring the wifes "local" Tesco voip number. (area
    > 01554)

    Sipgate, OrbTalk, VoIPTalk and others issue 'local' numbers, also offer
    free calls between users.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 22, 2006
  14. RX.3000

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:24:29 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>, wrote:

    >Thus spaketh Doz:
    >> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:20:46 GMT, RX.3000 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
    >>> 14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty
    >>> much...
    >>>
    >>> Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset
    >>> from the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing
    >>> the buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application
    >>> instead of the tesco software?
    >>>
    >>> The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers in advance

    >> I got one due to the fact that I'm emmigrating to NZ and the
    >> mother-in-law can ring the wifes "local" Tesco voip number. (area
    >> 01554)

    >Sipgate, OrbTalk, VoIPTalk and others issue 'local' numbers, also offer
    >free calls between users.

    I have read this post with great interest and found the web sites to
    the Sipgate, OrbTalk, VoIPTalk firms. Before I go back to reading the
    small print of each to determine which will suit me best can you
    clarify one small point for me please;

    >free calls between users.

    Do they offer free calls between their own users?
    ie. OrbTalk to OrbTalk
    Do they offer free calls between each others user?
    ie. Sipgate to VoIPTalk for example

    The only info I have gleened from swotting up is that Sipgate used to
    offer cross-user free calls, but now have fallen out with Gradwell or
    something and this cross-user free calls ended?

    As I say, I am not claiming that the above is correct but that I am
    confused by having read some-such. I would greatly appreciate an
    experienced user to clarify for me. Also, if a user of one of the
    many Voip services does not have a number but only a user name how
    does an on-screen dialler call such a person? Is the Voip user name a
    bit like an email address?

    Thanks very much.

    Eric
    , Aug 22, 2006
  15. RX.3000

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I have read this post with great interest and found the
    > web sites to the Sipgate, OrbTalk, VoIPTalk firms. Before
    > I go back to reading the small print of each to determine
    > which will suit me best can you clarify one small point
    > for me please;
    >
    > > free calls between users.

    > Do they offer free calls between their own users?
    > ie. OrbTalk to OrbTalk
    > Do they offer free calls between each others user?
    > ie. Sipgate to VoIPTalk for example

    Calls are always free between users of the same network. Peering
    arrangements/agreements vary, check with the provider you want to use.

    > The only info I have gleened from swotting up is that
    > Sipgate used to offer cross-user free calls, but now have
    > fallen out with Gradwell or something and this cross-user
    > free calls ended?

    Not exactly. The current status is that the peering between the two has
    broken from Gradwell to Sipgate (but not the other way round, that still
    works) and they're still trying to fix it.

    > As I say, I am not claiming that the above is correct but
    > that I am confused by having read some-such. I would
    > greatly appreciate an experienced user to clarify for me.
    > Also, if a user of one of the many Voip services does not
    > have a number but only a user name how does an on-screen
    > dialler call such a person? Is the Voip user name a bit
    > like an email address?

    Most if not all systems issue a PSTN number wihch is usually an expansion
    of the SIP number which you would dial internally. For example one of my
    Sipgate numbers is 314xxxx and that will work from Sipgate to Sipgate
    users, but from the PSTN you would dial the public number 0121 314 xxxx.

    A full SIP address will be in the format and if the
    equipment you are using is capable of dialling in that form, then it will
    also work.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2006
  16. RX.3000

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:18:20 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <>, wrote:

    >Calls are always free between users of the same network. Peering
    >arrangements/agreements vary, check with the provider you want to use.
    >
    >Most if not all systems issue a PSTN number wihch is usually an expansion
    >of the SIP number which you would dial internally. For example one of my
    >Sipgate numbers is 314xxxx and that will work from Sipgate to Sipgate
    >users, but from the PSTN you would dial the public number 0121 314 xxxx.
    >
    >A full SIP address will be in the format and if the
    >equipment you are using is capable of dialling in that form, then it will
    >also work.
    >
    >Ivor

    Thank you very much indeed. That has put matter very much clearer for
    me. I have spent such a lot of time reading web-pages at the Service
    Providers and completely failed to discover a clear and succinct
    explanation such as yours.

    Eric
    , Aug 22, 2006
  17. RX.3000

    Jono Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    >> The only info I have gleened from swotting up is that
    >> Sipgate used to offer cross-user free calls, but now have
    >> fallen out with Gradwell or something and this cross-user
    >> free calls ended?

    > Not exactly. The current status is that the peering between the two has
    > broken from Gradwell to Sipgate (but not the other way round, that still
    > works) and they're still trying to fix it.

    .............And to clarify further, it's Sipgate that have broken it & it's
    Sipgate that are <apparently> trying to fix it.
    Jono, Aug 22, 2006
  18. RX.3000

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-08-22, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >
    >> The only info I have gleened from swotting up is that Sipgate used to
    >> offer cross-user free calls, but now have fallen out with Gradwell or
    >> something and this cross-user free calls ended?

    > Not exactly.

    Perhaps what you meant to say was that Gradwell have nothing whatsoever
    to do with Sipgate's decision to stop their customers receiving SIP
    calls from networks other than their own.

    > The current status is that the peering between the two has
    > broken from Gradwell to Sipgate (but not the other way round, that still
    > works) and they're still trying to fix it.

    It is not broken in the sense of some unforeseen consequence of a change
    to the network configuration. It was made that way deliberately. They
    are not trying to fix it. Quite the opposite in fact; they have no
    intention of changing back to allowing their users to be contacted by
    SIP URI.

    Brian.
    Brian, Aug 22, 2006
  19. RX.3000

    paul123 Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > Sipgate, OrbTalk, VoIPTalk and others issue 'local' numbers, also offer
    > free calls between users.

    Just a side note on voiptalk. If you go through their website, you'll
    be asked to cough up 2 squid a month for a geo number.

    However, if you do a search on this group for "voiptalk", you'll find
    the first post by of the first link gives
    you a link to a free geo number plus 2 squids of free calling credit.
    paul123, Aug 22, 2006
  20. RX.3000

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-08-22, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >
    > > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > The only info I have gleened from swotting up is that
    > > > Sipgate used to offer cross-user free calls, but now
    > > > have fallen out with Gradwell or something and this
    > > > cross-user free calls ended?

    > > Not exactly.

    > Perhaps what you meant to say was that Gradwell have
    > nothing whatsoever to do with Sipgate's decision to stop
    > their customers receiving SIP calls from networks other
    > than their own.

    No, but it was an error in Gradwell's case, they are a legitimate peering
    network and it should work.

    > > The current status is that the peering
    > > between the two has broken from Gradwell to Sipgate
    > > (but not the other way round, that still works) and
    > > they're still trying to fix it.

    > It is not broken in the sense of some unforeseen
    > consequence of a change to the network configuration. It
    > was made that way deliberately. They are not trying to
    > fix it. Quite the opposite in fact; they have no
    > intention of changing back to allowing their users to be
    > contacted by SIP URI.

    Not so in the case of Gradwell. I have spoken to both "sides" on the
    matter and both assure me it will be sorted out, I just can't seem to find
    out when..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2006