Tesco Internet phone customers saved!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bodincus, Apr 2, 2010.

  1. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    Bodincus, Apr 2, 2010

  2. Bodincus

    Graham. Guest

    Graham., Apr 2, 2010

  3. Bodincus

    andy Guest

    On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <> wrote:
    > Phew!

    There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
    customers

    Why single out a press release from only one?

    andy, Apr 2, 2010
  4. On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:53:41 -0700, andy wrote:

    > On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <> wrote:
    >> Phew!
    >>

    > There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
    > customers
    >
    > Why single out a press release from only one?

    It's really quite simple - it's called 'spam' :) I will miss their free
    IAX service - but we move on to green pastures.

    Vicktor Whieste, Apr 2, 2010
  5. Bodincus

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:10:03 +0000, Vicktor Whieste wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:53:41 -0700, andy wrote:
    >
    >> On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <> wrote:
    >>> Phew!
    >>>

    >> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
    >> customers
    >>
    >> Why single out a press release from only one?

    > It's really quite simple - it's called 'spam' :) I will miss their free
    > IAX service - but we move on to green pastures.

    Just looked at the prices of this 'saviour'.
    It might seem to ignorant(no offence intended) Tesco phone customers that this is a good deal but it isn't.
    It is a crap deal by voip standards.

    --
    Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/

    Brian A, Apr 2, 2010
  6. Bodincus

    Graham. Guest

    "andy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <> wrote:
    >> Phew!
    >>

    > There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
    > customers
    >
    > Why single out a press release from only one?

    You see a press release. I see a paid for advertisement.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Apr 2, 2010
  7. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    Brian A:
    > On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:10:03 +0000, Vicktor Whieste wrote:

    >>> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
    >>> customers
    >>>
    >>> Why single out a press release from only one?

    >> It's really quite simple - it's called 'spam' :) I will miss their free
    >> IAX service - but we move on to green pastures.

    No spam at all - just trying to be helpful. The "Tesco Internet Phone
    closing" message got 20+ replies.

    > Just looked at the prices of this 'saviour'.
    > It might seem to ignorant(no offence intended) Tesco phone customers that this is a good deal but it isn't.
    > It is a crap deal by voip standards.

    Sure, if you're after the plethora of Betamax clones et al, and geeky
    enough to fiddle with softphone based registrations, DDI redirections
    and many other tricks of the trade I know probably better than you.
    But Tesco VoIP customers aren't after saving the last hundredth of a
    penny, neither are happy to spend months to get all the knowledge we
    have so they can roll their own IP PBX.
    They want their phones they bought in a supermarket to keep working as
    they did before, plug, play & forget.
    </lesson over>
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************

    Bodincus, Apr 3, 2010
  8. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    Graham.:
    > "andy" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On 2 Apr, 11:51, Bodincus <> wrote:
    >>> Phew!
    >>>

    >> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
    >> customers
    >>
    >> Why single out a press release from only one?

    > You see a press release. I see a paid for advertisement.

    Better than a poke in the eye or a lot of hardware going to landfill...

    Sorry if you got this the wrong way around, I haven't ANY interest in
    this, but by the volume of messages on the NG about this I thought that
    passing on the info wasn't a bad idea or doing any harm.

    Tesco branded Gigaset units are locked, the only way out is if another
    provide can /take over/, otherwise they're becoming nice expensive
    doorstoppers.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************

    Bodincus, Apr 3, 2010
  9. Bodincus

    Graham. Guest

    "Bodincus" <> wrote in message news:ITxtn.85455$2...
    > Graham.:
    >>>>
    >>> There are probably loads of VoIP companies hoping to recruit more
    >>> customers
    >>>
    >>> Why single out a press release from only one?

    >> You see a press release. I see a paid for advertisement.

    > Better than a poke in the eye or a lot of hardware going to landfill...
    >
    > Sorry if you got this the wrong way around, I haven't ANY interest in this, but by the volume of messages on the NG about this I
    > thought that passing on the info wasn't a bad idea or doing any harm.
    >
    > Tesco branded Gigaset units are locked, the only way out is if another provide can /take over/, otherwise they're becoming nice
    > expensive doorstoppers.

    Your posting was on-topic and interesting Bodincus, and no one is shooting the messenger,

    It's just that we (or maybe just me) thought you were indicating a non-story with the '!' in the subject, and being ironic when you
    said "Phew!"

    Anyway, where does it actually say that the Tesco hardware will continue to work?
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Apr 3, 2010
  10. Bodincus

    alexd Guest

    On 03/04/10 08:57, Graham. wrote:

    > Anyway, where does it actually say that the Tesco hardware will continue to work?

    It doesn't, but this bit is encouraging on the hardware front:

    # Tesco VoIP customers who have previously purchased a Tesco internet
    # phone and benefited from their cheap international calls and free
    # calls within the Tesco network, will now be able to reap the benefits
    # of Cloud Net’s cutting-edge internet phone system.

    Reading further on it says hardware is included in the monthly fee, so
    perhaps the news isn't so good after all.

    Any TIP customers wanting to keep their numbers might be a little
    discouraged by this:

    # Tesco customers switching to Cloud Net’s system will also receive a
    # choice of phone numbers from Cloud Net’s selection

    So it does seem like a bit of opportunistic marketing rather than an
    official takeover.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:20:27 up 60 days, 3:57, 1 user, load average: 0.71, 0.25, 0.14

    alexd, Apr 4, 2010
  11. Bodincus

    Welly Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:25:03 +0100, alexd wrote:

    ># Tesco customers switching to Cloud Net’s system will also receive a
    ># choice of phone numbers from Cloud Net’s selection
    >
    >So it does seem like a bit of opportunistic marketing rather than an
    >official takeover.

    The technical term for it is "rip-off"

    Welly, Apr 8, 2010