    number for business and needs to keep it, it's probably a fairly good
    deal.

    Owain
    Owain, Apr 10, 2010

  2. Owain

    Owain Guest

    On 10 Apr, 00:09, Owain wrote:
    > According tohttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=31671749&postcoun...
    > "[Voicehost] are in the process of porting current tesco users
    > telephone numbers into our service.
    >   We have also recieved the unlock code directly from Siemens to
    > unlock the DP450 to be used with other providers."

    Info here
    http://www.voicehost.co.uk/VH-Unlock-Tesco-DP450-IP.pdf

    Owain
    Owain, Apr 10, 2010

  3. Owain

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 16:11:02 -0700, Owain wrote:

    > On 10 Apr, 00:09, Owain wrote:
    >> According
    >> tohttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?

    p=31671749&postcoun...
    >> "[Voicehost] are in the process of porting current tesco users
    >> telephone numbers into our service.
    >>   We have also recieved the unlock code directly from Siemens to
    >> unlock the DP450 to be used with other providers."

    > Info here
    > http://www.voicehost.co.uk/VH-Unlock-Tesco-DP450-IP.pdf
    >
    > Owain

    I don't know if your Tesco phones are locked, or can be unlocked to work
    with other providers, but, value for money wise, there are much better
    deals with other companies on voip.

    --
    Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/
    Brian A, Apr 10, 2010
  4. Owain

    Welly Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:09:05 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

    >It appears they charge £2 per month for a geo number and £25+VAT for
    >porting - no mention yet whether these are the charges which will
    >apply to ex-Tesco customers, but for anyone who's used their Tesco
    >number for business and needs to keep it, it's probably a fairly good
    >deal.

    Another bum deal (along with Cloud Net) for residential customers. Is
    it open season for ripping off Tesco IP customers?
    Welly, Apr 11, 2010
  5. Owain

    Welly Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:15:10 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    >In reality they were ripped off when they went to Tesco - caveat emptor for
    >anyone who buys any other comm's product (mobile, ISP etc.) from them - you
    >can get ditched with no service at short notice.

    There is nothing wrong with Tesco Internet phone. £2.95/month for
    anytime (01,02,03) calls (+Gibraltar). Who else offered such a good
    deal? Excellent value unlike the rip-off vultures now trying to pick
    the flesh off the carcass after it closes.
    Welly, Apr 13, 2010
  6. Owain

    Graham. Guest

    "Welly" <µçÓ°...@ÊÖúÁæ»åÉù?.invalid> wrote in message news:...
    On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:15:10 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    >In reality they were ripped off when they went to Tesco - caveat emptor for
    >anyone who buys any other comm's product (mobile, ISP etc.) from them - you
    >can get ditched with no service at short notice.

    There is nothing wrong with Tesco Internet phone. £2.95/month for
    anytime (01,02,03) calls (+Gibraltar). Who else offered such a good
    deal? Excellent value unlike the rip-off vultures now trying to pick
    the flesh off the carcass after it closes.

    I gave smartvoip.com the euro equivalent of £15.70 three months ago it has not quite run out yet (57c left)
    So that's about £13.89 or £4.63 per month equivalent

    That has satisfied not only my UK landline needs, but also all my UK mobile calls and international call
    In that 3 month period I made 140 short calls to UK mobiles and 32 calls to a Chinese mobile.

    Now *that's* what I call a good deal.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 14, 2010
  7. Owain

    Welly Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:08:36 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    >"Welly" <µçÓ°...@ÊÖúÁæ»åÉù?.invalid> wrote in message news:...
    >On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:15:10 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    >
    >>In reality they were ripped off when they went to Tesco - caveat emptor for
    >>anyone who buys any other comm's product (mobile, ISP etc.) from them - you
    >>can get ditched with no service at short notice.
    >>

    >There is nothing wrong with Tesco Internet phone. £2.95/month for
    >anytime (01,02,03) calls (+Gibraltar). Who else offered such a good
    >deal? Excellent value unlike the rip-off vultures now trying to pick
    >the flesh off the carcass after it closes.
    >>

    >I gave smartvoip.com the euro equivalent of £15.70 three months ago it has not quite run out yet (57c left)
    >So that's about £13.89 or £4.63 per month equivalent

    £4.63 > £2.95
    Welly, Apr 14, 2010
  8. Owain

    Graham. Guest

    "Welly" <µçÓ°...@ÊÖúÁæ»åÉù?.invalid> wrote in message news:...
    On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:08:36 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    >"Welly" <µçÓ°...@ÊÖúÁæ»åÉù?.invalid> wrote in message news:...
    >On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:15:10 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    >
    >>In reality they were ripped off when they went to Tesco - caveat emptor for
    >>anyone who buys any other comm's product (mobile, ISP etc.) from them - you
    >>can get ditched with no service at short notice.
    >>

    >There is nothing wrong with Tesco Internet phone. £2.95/month for
    >anytime (01,02,03) calls (+Gibraltar). Who else offered such a good
    >deal? Excellent value unlike the rip-off vultures now trying to pick
    >the flesh off the carcass after it closes.
    >>

    >I gave smartvoip.com the euro equivalent of £15.70 three months ago it has not quite run out yet (57c left)
    >So that's about £13.89 or £4.63 per month equivalent

    £4.63 > £2.95

    Yes, it's half as much again.

    Tesco a good deal if you only call UK landlines, and call them a lot.
    Uk mobiles are double the price of smartvoip
    Treble if the callee is on "3"
    I can't find a single international destination that is cheaper, mostly twice the price or more.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 14, 2010
  9. Owain

    tg Guest

    I was with tescointernetphone for a while but I had to move to another
    provider. I was happy financially with the deal ( I was on the 2£/month
    package as well) but the service was poor. I had constant connection
    failures, and the delay between dialing and connection was too long, but
    what did it for me in the end was the thickness of the helpline staff.
    tg, Apr 15, 2010
  10. Owain

    tg Guest

    following your post I went to smartvoip and I see a bog standard uk national
    call is over 5 pence per minute! It would be cheaper to call on my BT
    landline.
    tg, Apr 16, 2010
  11. Owain

    Graham. Guest

    "tg" <> wrote in message news:4bc79f8d$0$2484$...
    > following your post I went to smartvoip and I see a bog standard uk national call is over 5 pence per minute! It would be cheaper
    > to call on my BT landline.

    I'm not sure what you are looking at.
    Try here https://www.smartvoip.com/en/sms-rates.html
    UK mobile rate is 4.4p/min (+VAT)
    UK land-line rate is basically free for 90 days after applying credit,
    Then 0.9p/min (+VAT) ("Out of Freedays" tab)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 16, 2010
  12. Owain

    tg Guest

    > I'm not sure what you are looking at.
    > Try here https://www.smartvoip.com/en/sms-rates.html
    > UK mobile rate is 4.4p/min (+VAT)
    > UK land-line rate is basically free for 90 days after applying credit,
    > Then 0.9p/min (+VAT) ("Out of Freedays" tab)

    yes I've seen that list before, a lot of smoke and mirrors at smartvoips
    site (then again they're all like that).
    I see the 0.010 under the freedays tab (whatever that is) but if you click
    on United Kingdom [national rate] under the call rates tab you get:
    'With SmartVoip you can call United Kingdom [national Rate] landlines for
    only € 0.050!' and then you have to add vat...which works out quite
    expensive for a sip phone methinks.
    tg, Apr 16, 2010
  13. Owain

    Graham. Guest

    "tg" <> wrote in message news:4bc8ad78$0$2534$...
    >> I'm not sure what you are looking at.
    >> Try here https://www.smartvoip.com/en/sms-rates.html
    >> UK mobile rate is 4.4p/min (+VAT)
    >> UK land-line rate is basically free for 90 days after applying credit,
    >> Then 0.9p/min (+VAT) ("Out of Freedays" tab)

    > yes I've seen that list before, a lot of smoke and mirrors at smartvoips
    > site (then again they're all like that).
    > I see the 0.010 under the freedays tab (whatever that is) but if you click
    > on United Kingdom [national rate] under the call rates tab you get:
    > 'With SmartVoip you can call United Kingdom [national Rate] landlines for
    > only € 0.050!' and then you have to add vat...which works out quite
    > expensive for a sip phone methinks.

    As it happens on this occasion you have a point. What Betamax calls "national-rate" are non geographic codes
    (other than 03) so I suppose we are talking about 0870 0845 0844 etc.
    I try very hard not to call such numbers, and when I do I am not sure if it would be cheaper to use my BT landline.

    "UK Landlines" refers to 01/02/03
    I think most people here would realise that, in this context, National rate means non-geos, but I agree it could be made clearer.

    As for the 19% VAT, that's only charged if you select an EU country at signup <cough>

    I don't think it's smoke and mirrors at all, it's a bloody good deal.
    The only thing that takes you by surprise is the 75 cent handling charge they put on
    each Pay Pal transaction. The first you know about it is just before you click to confirm the transaction.
    That is my only criticism.

    Go on. Sign up. You know you want to.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 16, 2010
  14. Owain

    tg Guest

    > Go on. Sign up. You know you want to.

    yes I'd like to give them a try but I get a bad feeling from any sip
    provider who operates by making you download their client first before you
    can even ask a question never mind register.
    voipcheap operates the same way.
    tg, Apr 16, 2010
  15. Owain

    Graham. Guest

    "tg" <> wrote in message news:4bc8ce76$0$2493$...

    >> Go on. Sign up. You know you want to.

    > yes I'd like to give them a try but I get a bad feeling from any sip
    > provider who operates by making you download their client first before you can even ask a question never mind register.
    > voipcheap operates the same way.

    Yes they are all the same company :))))
    here is a comparison list of them all
    http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

    The websites each have their own style, the call rates vary, and
    are intended for different regions, but really its all administrated as one
    single system. Register a username with one clone and try registering the
    same name with another and YWSWIM.

    The softphone client also allows you to enter and verify numbers to present
    as CLI.If you can answer a call made to the number you can use it for a CLI.

    I have never seen it suggested that the client is in any way malware.
    If you want to ask questions or obtain any support, Betamax is not for you.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 16, 2010
  16. Owain

    Graham. Guest

    "News Reader" <> wrote in message news:hqepga$529$...

    >>> yes I'd like to give them a try but I get a bad feeling from any sip
    >>> provider who operates by making you download their client first before you can even ask a question never mind register.
    >>> voipcheap operates the same way.

    >> Yes they are all the same company :))))
    >> here is a comparison list of them all
    >> http://www.backsla.sh/betamax
    >>
    >> The websites each have their own style, the call rates vary, and
    >> are intended for different regions, but really its all administrated as one
    >> single system. Register a username with one clone and try registering the
    >> same name with another and YWSWIM.
    >>
    >> The softphone client also allows you to enter and verify numbers to present
    >> as CLI.If you can answer a call made to the number you can use it for a CLI.
    >>
    >> I have never seen it suggested that the client is in any way malware.
    >> If you want to ask questions or obtain any support, Betamax is not for you.

    > Hi,
    >

    > Where is the bit where anybody bothers to mention the 300 minutes / month limit of the oh so great unlimited Betamax services?
    >
    > Err... unlimited, freedays, free destinations - but actually only 300 minutes / month in total across all... hmm... ?
    >
    > Tesco.. £2.95 genuinely unlimited UK landline calls per month... that is the idea. For other calls... use a Betamax or equivalent
    > (e.g. for mobile calls, etc.). However, the Betamax unlimited is very much not and in fact anything but...? ... very smoke and
    > mirrors / cloaks and daggers.
    >

    > Best wishes,
    >

    > News Reader

    It's 300 min per rolling week not month!
    They appear to have changed the way they present their FUP.
    Betamax now say they
    <** clone_name> reserves the right after a certain amount of calls to start charging the default rate. FREE CALLS are available for
    users with Freedays

    instead of the less vague but more confusing
    300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and per unique IP address

    My feeling is nothing has actually changed based on my recent experience with smartvoip, just the wording.
    I don't normally run into "FUP exceeded" unless I use pbxes as a callthrough device.

    I have been using Finarea/ Betamax services for nearly six years with no complaint whatsoever
    call1899voip.co.uk (who remembers that?)
    voipcheap.co.uk
    voipcheap.com
    smslisto.com
    smartvoip.com
    Each one was cheaper than its predicessor.

    I think Betamax products are the best choice for domestic VoIP and I am proud to recommend them here!
    ***Is my check in the post Betamax, hope you sent didn't send it air mail*** ;-)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 18, 2010
  17. Owain

    å Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:06:47 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    >It's 300 min per rolling week not month!
    >They appear to have changed the way they present their FUP.
    >Betamax now say they
    ><** clone_name> reserves the right after a certain amount of calls to start charging the default rate. FREE CALLS are available for
    >users with Freedays

    Sure, Betamax is full if smoke & mirrors. Bunch of wide boys!
    å, Apr 18, 2010
  18. Owain

    Muz

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    With the demise of Tesco I have signed up to Smartvoip - big mistake.

    They dont do incomming calls and would not let me even buy a VOIP-in UK Geo number from them.

    I got a geo number from DDIUK.com but could not route it through Smartvoip. They suggested I route the number directly to my phone, but my ex-DP450 only allows for one provider.

    I am left without an incomming line! Can anyone help?
    Muz, Apr 30, 2010