  1. carololine

    carololine Guest

    Tesco in the UK are selling a Acewr laptop for £399, is it any good.
    carololine, Jun 18, 2006

  2. carololine

    SJP Guest

    "carololine" <> wrote in message
    news:yHglg.60740$...
    > Tesco in the UK are selling a Acewr laptop for £399, is it any good.

    No idea as you haven't told us the specs nor posted a link aso why should we
    bother looking?
    SJP, Jun 18, 2006

  3. carololine

    Dan Evans Guest

    > Tesco in the UK are selling a Acewr laptop for £399, is it any good.

    Acer are shit, cheap ones are shitter. I don't know anyone that hasn't had
    problems with them, even the 1800 euro and up models.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 18, 2006
  4. carololine

    ellis_jay Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "carololine" <> wrote in message
    >> Tesco in the UK are selling a Acewr laptop for £399, is it any good.

    > Acer are shit, cheap ones are shitter. I don't know anyone that
    > hasn't had problems with them, even the 1800 euro and up models.
    >
    > Dan

    The local electric company has them showcased to buy and pay as part of your
    monthly bill. No thanks.

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Jun 19, 2006
  5. carololine

    HMV Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "carololine" <> wrote in message
    >> Tesco in the UK are selling a Acewr laptop for £399, is it any good.

    > Acer are shit, cheap ones are shitter. I don't know anyone that hasn't had
    > problems with them, even the 1800 euro and up models.
    >
    > Dan

    That's just your personal opinion! Wife has an Acer, and it's been fine for
    the last 2 years. Yeah, it's a basic machine, but it functions as designed,
    with zero faults.

    HMV
    --
    Help and support with Multivision Computers
    HMV, Jun 19, 2006
  6. carololine

    Bucky Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:24:31 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:13:49 -0500, "ellis_jay" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Dan Evans wrote:
    >>> "carololine" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Acer are shit, cheap ones are shitter. I don't know anyone that
    >>> hasn't had problems with them, even the 1800 euro and up models.
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >>The local electric company has them showcased to buy and pay as part of your
    >>monthly bill. No thanks.

    >I find this thread odd. I have an Acer TravelMate 8100 series laptop - in fact
    >I'm posting from it now - and not only have I not had a single problem with it,
    >it *far* outperforms the HP laptops, the Fujitsu Lifebooks, and the Toshiba
    >laptop we use at work. That's using this laptop 6-8 hours a day every day, too.
    >
    >"I wouldn't trade it for *all* of them."

    Our office has used Acer travelmates for several years. They have
    been mostly reliable. One failed and was repaired under warranty
    within a week with a new screen. There *are* better machines available
    but the price and quality are reasonable in comparison. I actually
    like the Tosh Portege but the cost is way above Acers.

    Bucky, Jun 19, 2006
  7. carololine

    ellis_jay Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:13:49 -0500, "ellis_jay"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dan Evans wrote:
    >>> "carololine" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Acer are shit, cheap ones are shitter. I don't know anyone that
    >>> hasn't had problems with them, even the 1800 euro and up models.
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >> The local electric company has them showcased to buy and pay as part
    >> of your monthly bill. No thanks.

    > I find this thread odd. I have an Acer TravelMate 8100 series laptop
    > - in fact I'm posting from it now - and not only have I not had a
    > single problem with it, it *far* outperforms the HP laptops, the
    > Fujitsu Lifebooks, and the Toshiba laptop we use at work. That's
    > using this laptop 6-8 hours a day every day, too.
    >
    > "I wouldn't trade it for *all* of them."

    I realize I didn't make my slam clear. I was slamming my particular power
    company. I know little of the Acer and cannot testify to its reliability or
    worthiness. Sorry for the "cornyfusion"

    ellis_jay, Jun 19, 2006
  8. carololine

    Dan Evans Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > Dan Evans wrote:
    >> "carololine" <> wrote in message
    >>> Tesco in the UK are selling a Acewr laptop for £399, is it any good.

    >> Acer are shit, cheap ones are shitter. I don't know anyone that
    >> hasn't had problems with them, even the 1800 euro and up models.
    >>
    >> Dan

    > The local electric company has them showcased to buy and pay as part of
    > your
    > monthly bill. No thanks.

    La Caixa do the same to me most months. They're either offering an HP
    desktop, a Transit Connect, or a set of saucepans if I open an account with
    6 grand, and dont touch it for 6 months. I went onto online receipts etc so
    I wasn't getting 3 letters a day from them - with the extra offers bunged
    in.

    Now they just send the crap on its own.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 20, 2006
  9. carololine

    Dan Evans Guest

    "HMV" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "carololine" <> wrote in message
    >>> Tesco in the UK are selling a Acewr laptop for £399, is it any good.

    >> Acer are shit, cheap ones are shitter. I don't know anyone that hasn't
    >> had problems with them, even the 1800 euro and up models.
    >>
    >> Dan

    > That's just your personal opinion!

    Experience - I support other people machines for a living, and *every*
    *single* Acer has battery problems. The one I sold (under protest, told the
    guy he didn't want it and should ày the extra for a Toshiba) failed within a
    couple of days of when I said it would (4 months).

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 20, 2006