    etc.

    Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered to
    correct their mistakes as yet??

    Jim Hollis, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Jim Hollis

    luminos Guest

    "Jim Hollis" <> wrote in message
    news:k_yqd.7583$...
    > After finally getting down to playing some of the discs last week.
    > Whomever
    > was responsible for the mixes ought to be ashamed. Nmuerous areas on "A
    > New
    > Hope" where the music was totally obliterated by all the sound effects,
    > etc.
    >
    > Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered to
    > correct their mistakes as yet??

    Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
    channels "is intentional."

    luminos, Nov 29, 2004

  3. > Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
    > channels "is intentional."

    No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys :)

    Matt Robinson, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Jim Hollis

    Meng Guest

    Matt Robinson wrote:

    >>Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
    >>channels "is intentional."

    > No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys :)

    Er, so why didn't he get it right first time?

    Meng, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Jim Hollis

    luminos Guest

    "Matt Robinson" <> wrote in message
    >> Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
    >> channels "is intentional."

    > No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys
    > :)

    I doubt it.

    luminos, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Jim Hollis

    Jay G. Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:45:19 GMT, Matt Robinson wrote:

    >> Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
    >> channels "is intentional."

    > No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys :)

    He may know more on how to construct a soundtrack than any of us, but that
    doesn't mean a casual listener isn't capable of finding errors that he or
    everyone else involved may have missed.

    It's like with film criticism. One doesn't have to be an actor to know
    when someone's acting is bad. One doesn't have to be a director to know
    that a film is bad. And one doesn't have to be a sound designer to know
    when something is wrong with the soundtrack.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Nov 29, 2004
  7. Jim Hollis

    luminos Guest

    "Jay G." <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:45:19 GMT, Matt Robinson wrote:
    >
    >>> Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
    >>> channels "is intentional."

    >> No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys
    >> :)

    > He may know more on how to construct a soundtrack than any of us, but that
    > doesn't mean a casual listener isn't capable of finding errors that he or
    > everyone else involved may have missed.
    >
    > It's like with film criticism. One doesn't have to be an actor to know
    > when someone's acting is bad. One doesn't have to be a director to know
    > that a film is bad. And one doesn't have to be a sound designer to know
    > when something is wrong with the soundtrack.
    >
    > -Jay

    I do experimentation in multichannel sound, so I guess I am not a casual
    listener. It is very obvious, however, that right front speaker trombones
    have their reflected sound out of the left rear surround (and so on). Not a
    very professional result, I would say. The balances at times are, I would
    say, bizarre. Did anyone really listen to this before it was sent to press?
    [Please compare this to the laserdisc superbox edition for verification.]

    luminos, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Jim Hollis

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Jim Hollis" <> wrote in message
    > After finally getting down to playing some of the discs last week.
    > Whomever was responsible for the mixes ought to be ashamed. Nmuerous
    > areas on "A New Hope" where the music was totally obliterated by all
    > the sound effects, etc.
    >
    > Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered
    > to correct their mistakes as yet??

    Why would they?

    Maybe I'm not that picky or I'm just used to crappy sound, but I didn't
    notice any real problems with the sound on Star Wars. I often have to
    adjust the sound up and down during just about any movie. I turn up the
    sound to hear the dialog, then I have to turn down the sound when the
    sound effects kick in.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Nov 30, 2004
  9. Jim Hollis

    TB Guest

    "FAQmeister" wrote:

    >> Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered
    >> to correct their mistakes as yet??

    > Why would they?
    >
    > Maybe I'm not that picky or I'm just used to crappy sound, but I didn't
    > notice any real problems with the sound on Star Wars. I often have to
    > adjust the sound up and down during just about any movie. I turn up the
    > sound to hear the dialog, then I have to turn down the sound when the
    > sound effects kick in.

    Maybe you should stick to vhs tapes. The heady concept of multi-channel
    soundtracks seems to be to much for a sophisticated guy like you.

    (and this is the genius who thinks he can write a dvd "FAQ.")

    T.B.

    TB, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Jim Hollis

    FAQmeister Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "FAQmeister" wrote:
    >
    >>> Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered
    >>> to correct their mistakes as yet??

    >> Why would they?
    >>
    >> Maybe I'm not that picky or I'm just used to crappy sound, but I
    >> didn't notice any real problems with the sound on Star Wars. I often
    >> have to adjust the sound up and down during just about any movie. I
    >> turn up the sound to hear the dialog, then I have to turn down the
    >> sound when the sound effects kick in.

    > Maybe you should stick to vhs tapes. The heady concept of
    > multi-channel soundtracks seems to be to much for a sophisticated guy
    > like you.
    >
    > (and this is the genius who thinks he can write a dvd "FAQ.")
    >
    > T.B.

    Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments. However, I have a
    very nice (and not inexpensive) home theatre sound system, so I do in
    fact appreciate the concept. --

    FAQmeister, Nov 30, 2004
  11. Jim Hollis

    TB Guest

    "FAQmeister" wrote:

    (snip)

    >> Maybe you should stick to vhs tapes. The heady concept of
    >> multi-channel soundtracks seems to be to much for a sophisticated guy
    >> like you.
    >>
    >> (and this is the genius who thinks he can write a dvd "FAQ.")
    >>
    >> T.B.

    > Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments. However, I have a
    > very nice (and not inexpensive) home theatre sound system, so I do in
    > fact appreciate the concept. --

    And yet you don't mind if the music on the rear channels are flipped. You
    could have saved a lot of money and just bought a pair of tin cups and some
    string.

    T.B.

    TB, Nov 30, 2004
  12. Jim Hollis

    John Doe Guest

    Frankly who gives a flying flip of they are reversed. Lucas has screwed
    these movies up so bad that it doesn't much matter. His revisionist ways
    clearly show that he has no understanding what-so-ever as to why the
    original movies were so popular and do loved. His current three crap-flicks
    show that he thinks we go to the show and pay $8 to $10 to watch movies
    about special effects and that that is what makes us like a movie. The man
    has no clue what-so-ever because if he did he would have included the
    original versions in this boxed set.

    Until the original versions are released he can flip anything he wants, in
    fact I am flipping something to him right now. Little hint, its my middle
    finger!

    John

    John Doe, Nov 30, 2004
  13. Jim Hollis

    Del March Guest

    << Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered to
    correct their mistakes as yet?? >><BR><BR>
    I think the short answer is, yes, they know about it, and no, they have no
    intention of fixing it.

    Del March, Nov 30, 2004