    as

    I would very much appreciate your erudition.

    John.

    John, May 10, 2004

  2. John

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, John emerged from the bunker carrying
    the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    > Reading through downloads of the first part of a short story
    > competition I came across ...
    >
    > "Terribilis est locus iste"
    >
    > I've "Googled" etc etc, but although I've been told *what it
    > doesn't mean* I have so far been foxed as to what it *Does* translate
    > as
    >
    > I would very much appreciate your erudition.
    >
    > John.

    "My perineum is terribly itchy"
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, May 10, 2004

  3. John

    Yddap Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > ...and seconds before the explosion, John emerged from the bunker carrying
    > the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    >
    > > Reading through downloads of the first part of a short story
    > > competition I came across ...
    > >
    > > "Terribilis est locus iste"
    > >
    > > I've "Googled" etc etc, but although I've been told *what it
    > > doesn't mean* I have so far been foxed as to what it *Does* translate
    > > as
    > >
    > > I would very much appreciate your erudition.
    > >
    > > John.

    > "My perineum is terribly itchy"

    " This is a Horrible place"

    yddap

    Yddap, May 10, 2004
  4. John

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, Yddap emerged from the bunker carrying
    the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    >> ...and seconds before the explosion, John emerged from the bunker
    >> carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see,
    >> crying:
    >>
    >>> Reading through downloads of the first part of a short story
    >>> competition I came across ...
    >>>
    >>> "Terribilis est locus iste"
    >>>
    >>> I've "Googled" etc etc, but although I've been told *what it
    >>> doesn't mean* I have so far been foxed as to what it *Does*
    >>> translate as
    >>>
    >>> I would very much appreciate your erudition.
    >>>
    >>> John.

    >> "My perineum is terribly itchy"
    >>

    > " This is a Horrible place"
    >
    > yddap

    Oh, I dunno - a lick of paint and some new curtains would brighten the place
    up ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, May 10, 2004
  5. John wrote:

    > Reading through downloads of the first part of a short story
    > competition I came across ...
    >
    > "Terribilis est locus iste"
    >
    > I've "Googled" etc etc, but although I've been told *what it
    > doesn't mean* I have so far been foxed as to what it *Does* translate
    > as
    >
    > I would very much appreciate your erudition.
    >
    > John.

    "It's good here, innit?" Or, not.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 10, 2004
  6. John

    Yddap Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > ...and seconds before the explosion, Yddap emerged from the bunker

    carrying
    > the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    >
    > > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > >> ...and seconds before the explosion, John emerged from the bunker
    > >> carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see,
    > >> crying:

    > >> "My perineum is terribly itchy"
    > >>

    > > " This is a Horrible place"
    > >
    > > yddap

    > Oh, I dunno - a lick of paint and some new curtains would brighten the

    place
    > up ;-)
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just me
    > (cheap at twice the price...)

    Of Terrible he/she/it is the seat that
    according to "Quick Latin "

    yddap

    Yddap, May 10, 2004
  7. John

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, Yddap emerged from the bunker carrying
    the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    > Of Terrible he/she/it is the seat that
    > according to "Quick Latin "

    Which means "My perineum is terribly itchy", as I said.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, May 10, 2004
  8. John

    °Mike° Guest

    terribilis
    Scary, intimidating, frightening.

    est
    it is.

    locus
    place, location, situation.

    iste
    that.

    *A* translation: "This place is scary!"

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:28:45 +0100, in
    <>
    John scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 10, 2004
  9. John <> wrote in

    > Reading through downloads of the first part of a short story
    > competition I came across ...
    >
    > "Terribilis est locus iste"
    >
    > I've "Googled" etc etc, but although I've been told *what it
    > doesn't mean* I have so far been foxed as to what it *Does*
    > translate as
    >
    > I would very much appreciate your erudition.
    >
    > John.

    It's an old Roman real estate slogan which roughly translated into the
    King's English means:

    "If 'location, location, location'
    are the 3 most important qualities;
    this place here really sucks terribly -
    or 'Scary, but it's got potential'!"

    [Usually followed by a large red/white/blue airborne hot air balloon
    with happy people and much music and confetti]

    Bucky Breeder, May 10, 2004
  10. John wrote:

    > Reading through downloads of the first part of a short story
    > competition I came across ...

    > "Terribilis est locus iste"

    > I've "Googled" etc etc, but although I've been told *what it
    > doesn't mean* I have so far been foxed as to what it *Does* translate
    > as

    > I would very much appreciate your erudition.

    "Your fly is open."

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 10, 2004
  11. slumpy wrote:

    > ...and seconds before the explosion, Yddap emerged from the bunker carrying
    > the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    >> Of Terrible he/she/it is the seat that
    >> according to "Quick Latin "

    > Which means "My perineum is terribly itchy", as I said.

    Sure, but a lick of paint and some new curtains would brighten it up.

    Blinky the Shark, May 10, 2004
  12. John

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, Blinky the Shark emerged from the
    bunker carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see,
    crying:

    > slumpy wrote:
    >
    >> ...and seconds before the explosion, Yddap emerged from the bunker
    >> carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see,
    >> crying:

    >>> Of Terrible he/she/it is the seat that
    >>> according to "Quick Latin "

    >> Which means "My perineum is terribly itchy", as I said.

    > Sure, but a lick of paint and some new curtains would brighten it up.

    Boom boom !!
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, May 10, 2004
  13. On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:28:45 +0100, John
    <> wrote:

    >Reading through downloads of the first part of a short story
    >competition I came across ...
    >
    >"Terribilis est locus iste"
    >
    >I've "Googled" etc etc, but although I've been told *what it
    >doesn't mean* I have so far been foxed as to what it *Does* translate
    >as
    >
    >I would very much appreciate your erudition.
    >
    >John.

    "Terribilis est locus iste" = Dreadful is that place

    Harvey Wallbanger, May 10, 2004
  14. John

    Michael Guest

    What a bunch of Plebs, don't you know that the farmers fight in the
    fields..............with hastas(sic)

    --
    Regards, Michael

    Michael, May 10, 2004
  15. John

    Rob K Guest

    John wrote:
    <snip>

    "Terribilis est locus iste"

    Correct translations have been posted.
    The sentence just about sums up everything that can be said about this
    group :)
    I'd just like to add that "iste" implies "here", "close by".

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, May 11, 2004
  16. John

    Brian Guest

    "Brian, the refuse collector"
    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    > You really should not have done that, Brian.

    and please excuse me for my bad, unforgivable and plank behaviour..

    Brian, Jun 30, 2004
  17. John

    Brian Guest

    "Brian, the refuse collector"
    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    > You really should not have done that, Brian.

    too late... just thew myself in the next door neighbours thorn-bush...

    Brian, Jun 30, 2004
  18. John

    Brian Guest

    "Brian, the refuse collector"
    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    OI.... where are you? do i have to go to a midnight mass or confession! what
    else can i do but say sorry!!

    Brian, Jun 30, 2004

    >> Brian wrote:
    >>
    >> You really should not have done that, Brian.

    > too late... just thew myself in the next door neighbours thorn-bush...

    Brian, you could feed both your legs and one arm to a hungry lion in the
    local zoo but you would still have one arm left. Well, for a while.

    Brian, the fagged, bezzling telephonist, Jun 30, 2004
  20. John

    Brian Guest

    "Brian, the fagged, bezzling telephonist"
    <-n-messy> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag

    > >> Brian wrote:
    > >>
    > >> You really should not have done that, Brian.

    > > too late... just thew myself in the next door neighbours thorn-bush...

    > Brian, you could feed both your legs and one arm to a hungry lion in the
    > local zoo but you would still have one arm left. Well, for a while.

    yes that might be the solution! might not be as painfull as it should be
    though!

    Brian, Jun 30, 2004