    command for the mstsc.exe in the "Run"-prompt!

    Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from anyone soon!

    Claas Voelcker

    Claas Voelcker, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Claas Voelcker wrote:
    > Hello community!!
    >
    > My Problem: I have a computer running Windows XP Professional. A user wants
    > to connect remotely but doesn´t not want to kick the current user working on
    > the computer. He wants that a seperate mask is given so that the other user
    > does not recognize that a second person is working on the machine. Usually
    > this requires Terminal Server Services of Windows Server 2k or 2k3 but are
    > there any other abilties to reach this? I think it is the management console
    > Remotedesktops, isn´t it? I would be very happy if anybody would help or give
    > some advice to realize this! I forgot it but I know that there is a special
    > command for the mstsc.exe in the "Run"-prompt!
    >
    > Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from anyone soon!
    >
    > Claas Voelcker

    As far as I know you can not do this with RDP in Windows XP, only on
    Server. It is an intentionally built in limitation. I am not familiar
    with 3rd party solutions though, so they may be something worthwhile for
    you to look into.

    Red Swingline Stapler, Mar 13, 2007

  3. "Red Swingline Stapler" wrote:

    > Claas Voelcker wrote:
    > > Hello community!!
    > >
    > > My Problem: I have a computer running Windows XP Professional. A user wants
    > > to connect remotely but doesn´t not want to kick the current user working on
    > > the computer. He wants that a seperate mask is given so that the other user
    > > does not recognize that a second person is working on the machine. Usually
    > > this requires Terminal Server Services of Windows Server 2k or 2k3 but are
    > > there any other abilties to reach this? I think it is the management console
    > > Remotedesktops, isn´t it? I would be very happy if anybody would help or give
    > > some advice to realize this! I forgot it but I know that there is a special
    > > command for the mstsc.exe in the "Run"-prompt!
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from anyone soon!
    > >
    > > Claas Voelcker

    If you are in a domain then there is a way to work around the problem.
    However, it will create a security risk. From one computer, use RDC to
    connect to a 2K3 box. From there, open a new RDC to the remote XP computers.

    Dragon Without Wings, Mar 13, 2007
  4. Claas Voelcker

    IT Geek Guest

    Use the remote desk top console, and on the properties of the client machine
    that you are trying to connect to uncheck the console box and this should
    solve you issue. Good luck.

    IT Geek, Mar 13, 2007
  5. "IT Geek" wrote:

    > Use the remote desk top console, and on the properties of the client machine
    > that you are trying to connect to uncheck the console box and this should
    > solve you issue. Good luck.

    That option would apply to server O.S. only

    Dragon Without Wings, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Dragon Without Wings wrote:
    > "Red Swingline Stapler" wrote:
    >
    >> Claas Voelcker wrote:
    >>> Hello community!!
    >>>
    >>> My Problem: I have a computer running Windows XP Professional. A user wants
    >>> to connect remotely but doesn´t not want to kick the current user working on
    >>> the computer. He wants that a seperate mask is given so that the other user
    >>> does not recognize that a second person is working on the machine. Usually
    >>> this requires Terminal Server Services of Windows Server 2k or 2k3 but are
    >>> there any other abilties to reach this? I think it is the management console
    >>> Remotedesktops, isn´t it? I would be very happy if anybody would help or give
    >>> some advice to realize this! I forgot it but I know that there is a special
    >>> command for the mstsc.exe in the "Run"-prompt!
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from anyone soon!
    >>>
    >>> Claas Voelcker

    > If you are in a domain then there is a way to work around the problem.
    > However, it will create a security risk. From one computer, use RDC to
    > connect to a 2K3 box. From there, open a new RDC to the remote XP computers.

    Will this not still force a logoff of the user who is physically logged
    on the machine?

    Red Swingline Stapler, Mar 13, 2007
  7. I tried to solve the problem this way, but as you said the current user was
    logged off. Does anyone else has a suggestion or advice? I am sure that there
    are any abilities to reach my aim!

    Thank you for now!

    Claas Voelcker, Mar 14, 2007
  8. "Claas Voelcker" wrote:

    > I tried to solve the problem this way, but as you said the current user was
    > logged off. Does anyone else has a suggestion or advice? I am sure that there
    > are any abilities to reach my aim!
    >
    > Thank you for now!
    >
    > "Red Swingline Stapler" wrote:
    >
    > > Dragon Without Wings wrote:

    > > > If you are in a domain then there is a way to work around the problem.
    > > > However, it will create a security risk. From one computer, use RDC to
    > > > connect to a 2K3 box. From there, open a new RDC to the remote XP computers.

    > > Will this not still force a logoff of the user who is physically logged
    > > on the machine?

    My bad, I was thinking about session shadowing.

    Dragon Without Wings, Mar 14, 2007
  9. "Jonathan Roberts" wrote:

    > I don't know of any way to do this. You're basically trying to do what
    > MS has designed it not to do. If they need this functionality, install
    > a Server OS.
    >
    > --
    > Jonathan Roberts
    > MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCP
    >
    > Information on MS VHD Images: http://tinyurl.com/y5bozl
    > Great MS Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/default.aspx
    > Feedback on 70-431 Exam: http://www.jonathanroberts.eu/?p=6

    Well, actually there is a hack for this through Windows registry which will
    allow you to have more than one session at the time. However, this will work
    only in a non-domain environment which obviously is not the case here.

    Dragon Without Wings, Mar 15, 2007
  10. Claas Voelcker

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <> did cause
    the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    > My Problem: I have a computer running Windows XP Professional.

    Ah, there's your first problem *wink*

    But seriously...

    > A user
    > wants to connect remotely but doesn´t not want to kick the current
    > user working on the computer.

    I read about how to do this, but never got around to testing it.
    Apparently this was possible in the beta version. So the answer was
    something to do with getting the version of a certain DLL that came with
    the Windows XP beta. I can't find it now, but maybe that will give you a
    start.

    Unless it was a hallucination brought on by starting at network
    performance readouts for too long.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL